IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Hoping to get a little feedback, not really me looking for a job tho. Over the past 6 months or so I've been wanting to tinker with audio plugins. This is not easy come to find out, lol. So, I got this course on sale at Udemy - Beginning C++ Programming - From Beginner to Beyond and have finished but still don't feel remotely comfortable with c++ to get into audio plugins. I want to learn the juce framework since it seems to be the most popular but from that c++ course to that seems a long ways off still. Any suggestions for bridging that gap?

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
but still don't feel remotely comfortable with c++ to get into audio plugins
If Steve Duda can teach himself C++, so can you!

Kidding aside, JUCE has some tutorials bundled you can look at.

The biggest hurdle here is probably the audio DSP code. There are some standard solutions for most generic things, though. Take a look here:

There's also this Dan Worral video:

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I am partial to books so do:

and this for reference + more exercises:

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Tales from Consulting:

In my continued consulting side job as a data scientist, I've run into a doozy. This company has a ton of issues with its data. They have outright hundreds of databases in current use and thousands upon thousands of data points built on top of each other for their existence as a company. In addition to lots of things being stored poorly, updated inconsistently, and so on. Most of my tasks have been to design data outputs that they can at least use reliably to solve business questions. So lots of python to format data pipes into new databases. That will inevitably have more shit built on top of them and exacerbate their underlying problems. But whatever it's interesting and an easy $4k+ extra a month lately.

This month I've created a dataset to solve their problem with employee ghosting. Employees just stop showing up and their systems still schedule them for months leading to canceled appointments and something like $30M lost per quarter. I create this thing and we show it to some leadership. On Monday I deployed the code and all seemed well until one of the analysts said that the output is only showing a few months worth of data when it should be YTD. I investigate this and sure enough, the earliest record is from April 2021.

I have pulled a bunch of the development data I had and it went back to 2018 and I showed them this. They call up their senior database people and someone logged in on Tuesday with the SQL Server base admin account and deleted most of the data I was working with from their on-prem shit. Their system is SSO and someone intentionally skirted that using the default admin/root account to delete it and did so in a way that it would be reflected in their cloud solution I was working with and not recoverable.

Now I'm like:
demi lovato eating GIF

Khane

Got something right about marriage
This month I've created a dataset to solve their problem with employee ghosting. Employees just stop showing up and their systems still schedule them for months leading to canceled appointments and something like $30M lost per quarter. I create this thing and we show it to some leadership. On Monday I deployed the code and all seemed well until one of the analysts said that the output is only showing a few months worth of data when it should be YTD. I investigate this and sure enough, the earliest record is from April 2021.

I have pulled a bunch of the development data I had and it went back to 2018 and I showed them this. They call up their senior database people and someone logged in on Tuesday with the SQL Server base admin account and deleted most of the data I was working with from their on-prem shit. Their system is SSO and someone intentionally skirted that using the default admin/root account to delete it and did so in a way that it would be reflected in their cloud solution I was working with and not recoverable.

I'm tempted to say "How does shit like this even happen?" but I already know the answer.

Does this company have the same problem mine has? Managers in charge of technical teams and products that have no technical skills whatsoever? And so they hire more technically incompetent people and have no idea nobody on their teams has a clue?

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Does this company have the same problem mine has? Managers in charge of technical teams and products that have no technical skills whatsoever? And so they hire more technically incompetent people and have no idea nobody on their teams has a clue?
No, that was intentional sabotage, with the clear intent to cover tracks. But at the same time it's their fault for not having backups of (probably mission critical) databases on WORM. This is especially true in todays landscape of ransomware gangs, which sniff around a company network to identify core components for maximum impact, sometimes for months.

Khane

Yes, it's intentional sabotage, but in order for that to even be possible AND for it to go unnoticed for that long there is a boatload of incompetence all around.

I mean seriously... employee ghosting? And scheduling errors that amount to $30M in losses per quarter? Fucking lol.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The most likely idea is that the org in charge of capacity management will look extremely bad once the finance people got a hold of it. What is supposed to happen is whoever is in that org should notice that X employee has not been to a single scheduled appointment in 5 months but is still being scheduled for 10+ appointments a week. All resulting in date of service cancellations. So you reduce their capacity and the other systems stop scheduling them.

Yes, they do need more controls but it demonstrates a total failure of their current controls purely due to neglect. The leadership of that org clearly does not want to be in a position to have to answer those questions to the C-Suite or whoever will be furious that they've been losing that much money a quarter for potentially years.

I don't want to get into it too much Khane Khane to risk identifying the specific company but this company is a healthcare company and their business model is very decentralized. The messiness of their bullshit makes this very hard to detect.

Khane

Hey I work in healthcare too. A common theme! Surprise, Surprise!

• 2Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Ugh. I started in a new lab and the PI wants me to implement a bunch of shit from research papers in jupyter notebooks because he wants to have the backend to web service written in fucking notebooks. Fuck me, putting notebooks in production is fucktarded.

Last edited:

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
What is MS Teams supposed to offer? It looks like bloatware, that does everything MS already has a product for

Is it trying to replace Web Ex/Zoom ?

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
What is MS Teams supposed to offer?
It is an unholy amalgamation of voice/video conferencing (replacing Skype), shared notes (like OneNote) and some SharePoint functionality, plus added chat on top. Probably to combat people migrating over to things like Slack or Campfire, especially in these "interesting times" with everyone sitting in their home office.

You can tell that development was rushed just by how slow it is to even start up.

Microsoft probably wanted to buy Slack, but SalesForce was faster.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
It is an unholy amalgamation of voice/video conferencing (replacing Skype), shared notes (like OneNote) and some SharePoint functionality, plus added chat on top. Probably to combat people migrating over to things like Slack or Campfire, especially in these "interesting times" with everyone sitting in their home office.

You can tell that development was rushed just by how slow it is to even start up.

Microsoft probably wanted to buy Slack, but SalesForce was faster.
Teams is actually very good.

I was very hesitant about it, but it integrates really nice as a desktop sharing/calling/chatting all in one solution.

The call quality is very good, anyone can share their desktop and it has the same mobile experience.

We use to have Ryver for chatting. Zoom for camera/desktop share and nextiva for voip. Teams replaces them all.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
see, when it took fucking 2 minutes to boot from its splash screen, I knew it was shit, and this is just confirmation

I still think while Biztalk has one glaring failure, that it is actually a useful integration

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
see, when it took fucking 2 minutes to boot from its splash screen, I knew it was shit, and this is just confirmation

I still think while Biztalk has one glaring failure, that it is actually a useful integration

I'm not sure if the issues you are having is specific to you. Our companies uses Teams without any boot up problems.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The most likely idea is that the org in charge of capacity management will look extremely bad once the finance people got a hold of it. What is supposed to happen is whoever is in that org should notice that X employee has not been to a single scheduled appointment in 5 months but is still being scheduled for 10+ appointments a week. All resulting in date of service cancellations. So you reduce their capacity and the other systems stop scheduling them.

Yes, they do need more controls but it demonstrates a total failure of their current controls purely due to neglect. The leadership of that org clearly does not want to be in a position to have to answer those questions to the C-Suite or whoever will be furious that they've been losing that much money a quarter for potentially years.

I don't want to get into it too much Khane Khane to risk identifying the specific company but this company is a healthcare company and their business model is very decentralized. The messiness of their bullshit makes this very hard to detect.
I bet it's Kaiser.

The two healthcare companies I've done the most work for were Kaiser and Quest Diagnostics. Kaiser was a 6/10 on the shitshow meter while Quest was about a 13/10.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I bet it's Kaiser.

The two healthcare companies I've done the most work for were Kaiser and Quest Diagnostics. Kaiser was a 6/10 on the shitshow meter while Quest was about a 13/10.

I really wish Quest would issue headsets to their work from home people. Having to talk to them on speaker is pain.

Granted, they could be lying when they say they don't have headsets when I ask them to take it off speaker so I'm not hearing myself on delay the whole time.