IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You have failed your first lesson. Never turn down an internship.

If someone is willing to give a dude with little skill a spot, take it.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
If someone is willing to give a dude with little skill a spot, it's probably a scam!!

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Man I quit Best Buy and moved to my internship making $14.50 the day I started. I thought I was living high on the fucking hog. I think I was making like $8.25 at Best Buy or some shit.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Man I quit Best Buy and moved to my internship making $14.50 the day I started. I thought I was living high on the fucking hog. I think I was making like $8.25 at Best Buy or some shit.
Yeah I went from like $7 an hour at a school lab tech job to around the same for an internship. I'm extremely frugal and didn't blow my money but I was super hyped to make a living wage for the first time, heh.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Making that much money let me pay for my next quarter of college without loans if I was working full time. Then working part time as a full time student let me mitigate half the cost and loan half. So I managed to graduate with far less debt thanks to having a good paying internship.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think I was extremely lucky as my internship paid $24/hour. I went from $9/hour to that. They pay extremely well, but this is more engineering and lower-level than most others.

TragedyAnn_sl

shitlord
TragedyAnn, in your specific case I wouldn't recommend quitting school. You've put the time in already and just because you are in school doesn't mean you can't teach yourself as a compliment to your schooling as well. You've already invested time and money into getting the degree so it's probably in your best interest to finish and get that piece of paper.
Thanks Khane. That's pretty much along the lines of what I'm thinking. I work in a hospital so I am leaning towards health informatics. My goal is learn enough to go ahead and transfer to the IT dept while I finish my degree. We have tuition reimbursement, so it's not all bad.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
We're one of the only game dev companies in the area(Buffalo,NY), we also have a strong relationship with the Buffalo Game Space(NPO dedicated to game dev education, which I'm also involved in). As such, we often offer internships to a lot of first/second year students as an educational opportunity to get involved in the business. Those ones specifically are lower paid. Minimum wage if they "work", unpaid is it's solely educational(i.e. they'll basically just be shadowing someone), and for senior/graduating interns we pay competitive $15/~.

So in our particular case, we often deal with low-skill interns as a way of giving back to the community here. Though I'd say you're probably generally correct
smile.png
As someone who used to live in Buffalo, $15 for senior/graduating doesn't seem bad at all (assuming that Buffalo is still a low-wage shithole with scads of affordable/cheap/derelict housing)

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
It's improved a lot over the last few years, but that's more or less still true. The cost of living here is insanely low, but the developer salaries are nationally competitive(very recent thing... < 5yrs). Which means Buffalo devs are ending up with significantly more take-home pay, it's really driving a lot of people to telecommute or do startups here, rather than move away.

Almost moved away myself two years ago~ to Boston before things took a sudden upswing.
mmm but Buffalo is so cold bro.
frown.png

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Thanks Khane. That's pretty much along the lines of what I'm thinking. I work in a hospital so I am leaning towards health informatics. My goal is learn enough to go ahead and transfer to the IT dept while I finish my degree. We have tuition reimbursement, so it's not all bad.
I've worked in the healthcare industry for the last 8 years in integration. Before my current job it was mostly claims and carrier (insurance) information trading, ETL and the like (mostly flat file formats). Currently I am working with HL7 and other clinical data. Feel free to ask me questions if that is what you are interested in breaking into. HL7 is a standard in healthcare and won't ever be going away, it's good to know and learn because you will never have trouble finding a job.

TragedyAnn_sl

shitlord
I've worked in the healthcare industry for the last 8 years in integration. Before my current job it was mostly claims and carrier (insurance) information trading, ETL and the like (mostly flat file formats). Currently I am working with HL7 and other clinical data. Feel free to ask me questions if that is what you are interested in breaking into. HL7 is a standard in healthcare and won't ever be going away, it's good to know and learn because you will never have trouble finding a job.
Very cool. Thanks for the info. I feel like I probably don't even know enough yet to know what to ask. I've been focused on software, like Epic... Now I gotta google HL7
smile.png

Khane

Epic IS HL7. It's an HL7 interface engine, and it's widely used. Get to know it, get to know the spec, be familiar with how you can modify it and you will never have trouble finding a job.

Khane

It took me a second, but then I realized I was on a gaming forum and understood what you meant by HL3.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
No x12 work? we are currenlty working with 837, 270 and 271, and we may have some questions.

Khane

We were trading data in custom formats. The company was starting to adopt EDI standards as I was leaving but I haven't worked specifically with EDI x12 specifications in depth.

Black_Death

Golden Knight of the Realm
This talk of MUMPS and EDI brings back memories of my first job out of college with a large HIS software provider (actually mentioned in the wikipedia article unfortunately). I did quite a bit of work with X12 specs in the insurance and billing worlds (835, 837, 270, 271, 997). They are treated less as specs and more as guidelines...each carrier will have subtle differences requiring you to maintain a custom translation layer which can be frustrating.