IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I am getting tired of people throwing meetings on my calendar constantly. Not sure how you can expect me to finish tasks when you have me in meetings 5 fucking hours a day.

Shit rustles me.

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
If you want that promotion, hours of meetings per day will likely be the expectation.

I try to plan around the meetings, do trivial stuff like email during meetings where I don't have to pay attention much. Or I get stuff done around the house during the workday and then work on stuff that requires my focus after everyone has signed off for the day.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I guess allow me to reprhase.

Asking me for status updates on shit you had me in meetings for rather than working on is what rustles me.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Ok, that's a bit different.

I do wish there was a way to properly account for recurring bullshit like meetings when planning iterations. I've done a pretty good job of being vocal during standup when I need to spend hours prepping for a meeting or putting out some fire. I don't even have to remind my boss anymore, he just assigns me half the amount of work since my other responsibilities as essentially devsecops can and frequently does take the other half.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I am getting tired of people throwing meetings on my calendar constantly. Not sure how you can expect me to finish tasks when you have me in meetings 5 fucking hours a day.

Shit rustles me.
Only 5 hours?? Lucky

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Amen. the modern white collar office worker has about 10-15 hours a week TOPS that they are responsible for. Keep in mind the average worker is a millenial woman with no skills that gets nothing done, but has to be hired to meet quotas.

I swear to god I sit in 3-5 meetings a week where its about 30 people on a call. 5 have something to discuss or present, and the rest are shitty women whose only job is to sit in meetings and send "official" communication emails, update slide decks and send out meeting recaps.

The first 10 is always just bitches gossiping, then alot of "PRAISE HANDS" emojis in chat while people who do work explain their project updates.

Oh well, more gaming time for me, cause you book me in meetings, I aint working through them, im gonna play baldurs gate on one screen and watch Patti and Belinda "wait 2 minutes in case anyone else is joining"

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Amen. the modern white collar office worker has about 10-15 hours a week TOPS that they are responsible for. Keep in mind the average worker is a millenial woman with no skills that gets nothing done, but has to be hired to meet quotas.

I swear to god I sit in 3-5 meetings a week where its about 30 people on a call. 5 have something to discuss or present, and the rest are shitty women whose only job is to sit in meetings and send "official" communication emails, update slide decks and send out meeting recaps.

The first 10 is always just bitches gossiping, then alot of "PRAISE HANDS" emojis in chat while people who do work explain their project updates.

Oh well, more gaming time for me, cause you book me in meetings, I aint working through them, im gonna play baldurs gate on one screen and watch Patti and Belinda "wait 2 minutes in case anyone else is joining"
Meetings are were I do my admin bullshit. Hour tracking emails drawings etc.

Palum

what Suineg set it to

This is true. Occasionally I get yelled at for keeping my camera off. So then I put it on so I can be seen visibly ignoring them and working on other things. Sometimes also on the phone. Some weeks I have like 38 hours of meetings. I couldn't do work if I didn't idle in meetings and do other shit.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I would have been fired several times over if I had my camera on during meetings and everyone could see me reacting to their stupid questions and inane rambling.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I've just started straight skipping any meeting I don't think is important to me.

Come at me.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Not being at a meeting is a very easy thing for others to notice. When whomever is running the meeting has to stop what they're doing and check attendance because that person isn't answering questions, everyone will notice. It's worse than the person who was obviously not paying attention and frequently has to ask for the question to be repeated.

Maybe the culture is different at your company. But at mine, I would rather find a way to be productive while barely paying attention. Does kinda suck if you're expected to have webcams on.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I don't mind doing mindless tasks in meetings. Administrative work or whatever, but lots of my tasks at the moment require my concentration. At this job I have inadvertently become "the guy" to ask almost any question about our data infrastructure. I am trying to offload this onto people but its going to take some time. Its a good career spot to be in though.

So whenever I get invited to a meeting that is otherwise 100% irrelevant to me I still have to spend time in it explaining "no dude, this doesn't contain that or you have to use X instead of Y."

I am pretty much against the idea of being at work all day then having to wait until everyone at work stops wasting my time so I can actually work. I won't be doing that. The other leader I mentioned earlier in the thread finally got the hint that she can't just randomly contact me at 8PM and expect me to respond.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

Old man IT rant:

IT used to be essentially 90% people that could "figure stuff out" - regardless of rank, level, title. From common techs to the upper level managers and sys admins. Heck, that was essentially the job for tier 1-2 people, figure out what the user did or didn't do, fix it, if that does not work, get a work around and report up to someone to then "fix it"

I mean, simple stuff... like general .01 deviation from the text book... now it is like the world ends, no one can figure them self out of a wet paper bag.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Thats because 90% of people with IT jobs were nerds who had an interest in computers. Now the field is just seen as high salary potential and tons of people with no real interest get into it for the money.

It's kind of like finance in that regard nowadays.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Old man IT rant:

IT used to be essentially 90% people that could "figure stuff out" - regardless of rank, level, title. From common techs to the upper level managers and sys admins. Heck, that was essentially the job for tier 1-2 people, figure out what the user did or didn't do, fix it, if that does not work, get a work around and report up to someone to then "fix it"

I mean, simple stuff... like general .01 deviation from the text book... now it is like the world ends, no one can figure them self out of a wet paper bag.

Definitely notice this. I am training up one of my reports because he is so godawful at troubleshooting it astounds me. I'll give him some problem with a clear solution and tell him to show me what he would do first to solve it. For each one he was randomly guessing and was not on track in any way. He is making progress and clearly wants to learn and be more capable. But his starting point is just bad.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Not being at a meeting is a very easy thing for others to notice. When whomever is running the meeting has to stop what they're doing and check attendance because that person isn't answering questions, everyone will notice. It's worse than the person who was obviously not paying attention and frequently has to ask for the question to be repeated.

Maybe the culture is different at your company. But at mine, I would rather find a way to be productive while barely paying attention. Does kinda suck if you're expected to have webcams on.
Depends on company culture and meetings. I attend standups but I’m at a point where I don’t attend sprint retros because we don’t even do sprints anymore. Those meetings usually have one person complain and it ends in 5-10 minutes.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Thats because 90% of people with IT jobs were nerds who had an interest in computers. Now the field is just seen as high salary potential and tons of people with no real interest get into it for the money.

It's kind of like finance in that regard nowadays.
“Go get a CS degree” is the new “go get a business degree”.

Unfortunately people who aren’t interested in it that pursue it for money are in for a rude awakening….

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Old man IT rant:

Around ‘05 while in the Air Force I needed a barcode font installed for some inventory project I was working on. The PCs are understandably locked the fuck down so I needed our squadron assigned IT guy to install it for me. Nice enough dude, but know how to install the font…. “Just drag/drop it in the folder”.

• 1Solidarity

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I haven't applied for random jobs in over a decade and am getting pretty fucking floored by some of the interview processes I'm encountering.

I just got an email from HR at a large medical records company after a first round interview asking me to schedule a battery of 3 exams before proceeding to the next interview? And these are like fully proctored shit like you have to take for vendor certs etc:

What is involved in the set-up?
Please make sure your environment is appropriate for testing:
• You must use Google Chrome to schedule and complete the assessments
• Ensure you are in a well-lit, quiet, and private room
• No one else can be in the room with you
• No phones, headphones, or earplugs are allowed
• You will need to disable pop-up blockers and share your screen for the duration of the assessment

There's also a consent form for full control/recording of your desktop/webcam during the exams. This shit seems insane to me and my initial reaction is just to withdraw from the entire process and write this company off as no longer an option, but maybe I'm just too old fashioned and this is the norm at larger places now? Almost everywhere has some level of like basic reading comprehension/cognitive assessment thing to take before actual interviews begin, but this one is beyond anything I've seen so far.

Do you guys put up with this shit in current year job markets or is this place just letting their HR go wild for no reason?

• 1Worf