IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You would think so. I decided to just sit in the lab for the rest of the day. Usually he bothers me a lot less because it's a 2 minute walk instead of 3 cubes down

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Maybe you're being too easy on him. I definitely pick and choose who I go to for questions based on the combined criteria of who will have the answer and won't be a condescending ass while doing it. Unfortunately, where I work, the first choice for the former is the last choice for the latter. Also, the other way around.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Be nice noodle. Once the guy makes it big and becomes the head of your department, he will remember you.

Or not.....

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I have a feeling I will be writing software until my hands are crippled from too much micro.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We can be the 80 year old men in the office with mechanical keyboards, gaming mice, giant headsets, and those faggy gaming chairs that streamers use

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Fuck that.

This would be great for unemployed people but I'm sorry. I'm not going on a 2 hour contact just to interview with a company.
It's obviously a lot more useful at lower levels. I wouldn't really expect senior devs to be going through this, much like I don't think interviewers should need to ask coding example questions in interviews of seniors.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I mentioned the code kata thing and i think it was a good idea for a senior developer. You do a medium complexity question, then we just talk about it. Just so you can read their code and know their coding before hiring.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I was just given a stack of 34 resumes from soon-to-be graduates with a MS from a top university. The university is far enough away that the cost to bring them in for an in person interview is high. None of the students personally applied, we just got the stack from their academic dept in response to a request from us.

How would you guys sift through and pick which ones for the next process, and what would that process be?

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I assume most of the resumes are probably similar since I assume the university probably helps them craft it. So that would really make differentiating them difficult. Possibly see if any of them show that they have a passion for technology/programming as a hobby instead of just academically? But you may just need to schedule a quick phone interview if all the resumes look too similar with each candidate and dedicate a few days of your week to that process.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
That's essentially my problem with it too. I just did about 10 of these, all basically eating up a day of my time, only to get out the other end and get an offer that wasn't even competitive. Even with them paying me what they considered "fair", this literally cost me about $10,000 in lost opportunities, that I'm paying by not taking easily available contracts for the same duration. I'm essentially subsidizing their recruitment with my time.

I would 100% use this method for juniors/recent grads. But for senior positions anyone who you want to hire should essentially be telling you to get fucked, I'll be declining these in the future. Unless it's for a company I have a lot of information on and can judge prior to the process, otherwise it's just too great a time burden to someone with a fulltime job already who's pursuing multiple offers.

I would be less opposed if negotiation wasn't on the OTHER end of the funnel, their idea of competitive and mine vary quite wildly, and unless they're big enough to have accurate glassdoor/payscale ratings then I can't know that until after I jump through their hoops.

You could just ask your recruiter, but #1 it worsens your negotiating position, and #2. They'll just lie to you anyways, they want you to get invested and then settle.
I actually like that idea and wouldn't mind seeing my company try it out. I think finding a suitable project that is useful, generic enough to not require a week+ of training/learning time to be effective and able to be given out would be hard though. But look on the bright side from your perspective, instead of taking 1-4 hours doing a takehome test that is largely meaningless, you might spend 8 hours, possibly learn something technically new and getting a chunk of change out of it. If more companies did that at $100 an hour I could see myself perpetually interviewing at companies!!!