IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So I might need to travel to California for work for a week. Never done that before. Does it suck to travel for work or is it generally a good time?

Vinen

God is dead
So I might need to travel to California for work for a week. Never done that before. Does it suck to travel for work or is it generally a good time?
Depends on what you are traveling for. If I am traveling alone it tends to suck. If I am traveling with another I at least have someone I can eat dinner with... otherwise I just drink alone.

Where in CA are you traveling to? I get to fly out to Palo Alto again next week...

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It would be Santa Clara. Nothing confirmed yet but I did have to prepare the wife. I'd be travelling alone... maybe one other person but mostly by myself. It's bring-up on a new server out there.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
You're married with a newborn and you're travelling alone. Just treat CA as home and you're wife took the kid to visit her relatives for a week. Bask in the glory of food and drink freedom.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You're married with a newborn and you're travelling alone. Just treat CA as home and you're wife took the kid to visit her relatives for a week. Bask in the glory of food and drink freedom.
Oh I will. The food is paid for, I don't know about 'drinks' but I probably wouldn't risk it. They gave me my own corporate credit card..

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Oh I will. The food is paid for, I don't know about 'drinks' but I probably wouldn't risk it. They gave me my own corporate credit card..
Just tell the waitress to bring you drinks and ring it up as appetizers. You think you're the first guy to expense drinks? Pfffft

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Noodle it says here over the one week you stayed in CA you consumed upwards of 450 mozzarella sticks

Khane

Most bars do not itemize receipts. Just eat all your meals at a place that has a bar, which is most good restaurants.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I've never been lucky enough to get drunk on the company dime but I know my dad's place requires itemized receipts. If the receipt isn't itemized they won't accept it. Not sure how nazi Noodle's place is but it may be smart to check just in case they won't reimburse you.

Siliconemelons

I've never been lucky enough to get drunk on the company dime but I know my dad's place requires itemized receipts. If the receipt isn't itemized they won't accept it. Not sure how nazi Noodle's place is but it may be smart to check just in case they won't reimburse you.
yup, our company cards are not to be used for food- anything that they should be used for must have itemized receipt- food can be reimbursed @ a set amount per breakfast, lunch, dinner - with itemized receipt included... I am state government org though so they are all like "We gatta be clean for when the tax payers ask!" ... swear only government place that cares! lol

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'd ask a senior coworker or your boss what the general guidelines are for expensing. Often the general attitude people take does not match the employee handbook, but you should be aware of the big pitfalls. Sometimes an employee will cause a bunch of drama with a certain thing and ruin it for everyone.

But yeah, if you don't travel a lot traveling for work can be a lot of fun.

Khane

Heh you know, I never really thought about how much of a douche I was about expense reports until you guys pointed out the whole "tax payer dollars" thing. I didn't work for a government entity but did work for a government contractor until recently and I would expense the fuck out of everything. I went on a training trip in Portland last year on the company dime and booked full suite at a swanky hotel (because that's where the training was being held) and took my Portland friends out for dinner and drinks every night.

I'm such a shitlord.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'd ask a senior coworker or your boss what the general guidelines are for expensing. Often the general attitude people take does not match the employee handbook, but you should be aware of the big pitfalls. Sometimes an employee will cause a bunch of drama with a certain thing and ruin it for everyone.

But yeah, if you don't travel a lot traveling for work can be a lot of fun.
That's the worst part, 1 year on the job and due to layoffs and people quitting I'm second highest seniority on the team - the other guy refuses to travel which is weird to me since he's single and still plays aion. I'll get the run down from my boss. The rules state if an expense isn't approved they withhold the amount from your paycheck.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Heh you know, I never really thought about how much of a douche I was about expense reports until you guys pointed out the whole "tax payer dollars" thing. I didn't work for a government entity but did work for a government contractor until recently and I would expense the fuck out of everything. I went on a training trip in Portland last year on the company dime and booked full suite at a swanky hotel (because that's where the training was being held) and took my Portland friends out for dinner and drinks every night.

I'm such a shitlord.
Was this in January or February?!