IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
God damn it, man. Our project has code files that are literally 2000+ lines long. Using any type of code analysis tool, like Resharper, makes my system run like shit.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick

We have a couple that are over 19k lines. So long that the IDE has to run the files in some plain text mode where none of the cool colors on variables and keywords works

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Try debugging it man, it's bad.

I won't say who writes it, but let's just say it's a pretty humongous and well-known company.

Edit: also they wrote the IDE. You have to use it.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Man I'm kinda digging having a contractor lackey. I just give him a whole bunch of work and he does it and somehow I get credit for him doing all this work. Its great.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Noodle, if you are not programming, you are not learning. Your company is basically outsourcing your position. I'm sorry about that. If you want to go into management, this is a great opportunity. If you want to continue typing code, then you are not going to learn/ do anything and your skills will degrade.

Start sending resumes out.

Vinen

God is dead
Noodle, if you are not programming, you are not learning. Your company is basically outsourcing your position. I'm sorry about that. If you want to go into management, this is a great opportunity. If you want to continue typing code, then you are not going to learn/ do anything and your skills will degrade.

Start sending resumes out.
Depends.

I heaven't heavily coded in a few years. Leadership (both Technical and Managerial) have a reduction in coding responsibilities.

Renault

N00b
I have a question for everyone going back to the beginning of this whole thread. I'm many years out of college with a major in history, I've worked a variety of jobs over the years and I'm currently bored out of my mind. I would like to transition into a new career and something in the tech field is very appealing to me.

I'm not interested in going back to school for another degree and ignoring for now the question of CS degree vs self taught programming for job prospects what is the best path to start learning; jump straight into a language (Java, Python, C variant?) or start off with something like the MIT open courses?

As it stands having skimmed through this whole thread obviously 90% of the discussion flew completely over my head so I'm wondering when first starting out what a reasonable expectation time wise would be to feel like you aren't just drowning in new terminology and concepts. Also is it generally expected that you go into programming knowing already that you love it or have any of you gotten to that place as you learned it more in depth.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I would recommend Python. I started on C/C++, I've done some Java and perl, and I feel like I've learned more concepts working with Python than other languages. It really goes out of its way, sometimes to a fault, to make the language intuitive and most important, english readable(as possible).

You also don't have to deal with memory management or pointers in Python, which is probably what trips people the most when learning C. Templates probably a close third.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Definitely take an open course or a couple, you'll get a feel whether you enjoy it or not for sure. You definitely don't want to do it if you hate it right off the bat. I'd figure out what you want to do and then recommend a language based on that.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Nothing to do with Comp Sci specifically but I am hating every second of my degree right now.

Juggling 3 classes and work and a startup right now.

My IFSM 300 Information Systems in Organizations class is very little to do with actual IT work. I am "advising" a fictitious hair salon at how to bring IT into their salon but the professor is more interested that we know about haircuts. In my first assignment he told me I should research the prices for contracting out salon work to weddings to help increase her revenue. I don't give a shit about how much a haircut costs. I care about how what software she is using to schedule and how she is managing her website and payment processors and the like. It doesn't matter if the hair cut is $40 or $125 it still needs the same infrastructure.

I hate college.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Too much emphasis on a piece of paper but some doors are closed without it unless you have the right inroads.

Vinen

God is dead
Nothing to do with Comp Sci specifically but I am hating every second of my degree right now.

Juggling 3 classes and work and a startup right now.

My IFSM 300 Information Systems in Organizations class is very little to do with actual IT work. I am "advising" a fictitious hair salon at how to bring IT into their salon but the professor is more interested that we know about haircuts. In my first assignment he told me I should research the prices for contracting out salon work to weddings to help increase her revenue. I don't give a shit about how much a haircut costs. I care about how what software she is using to schedule and how she is managing her website and payment processors and the like. It doesn't matter if the hair cut is $40 or $125 it still needs the same infrastructure.

I hate college.
It actually does matter. The $125/cut is likely more premium and is an upsell opportunity.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Too much emphasis on a piece of paper but some doors are closed without it unless you have the right inroads.
I am doing it because it's free and I have the time.

It actually does matter. The $125/cut is likely more premium and is an upsell opportunity.
Yep. You can't accurately advise a client on their technical needs if you don't understand their business and its model. That's what your professor is trying to get through to you, probably.
The cut wasn't an upsell at all from what he was talking about. He was saying not to waste my time talking about potentially branching out into higher end men's haircuts for my analysis.

I mean I get it but this should be way more focused on the infrastructure and not the price points. Let's follow the train of thought though so I can learn what you guys are thinking and why I don't necessarily agree.

So this hair cut is an up charge. That just means it's a different SKU. It is a line or two in the database. It requires different scheduling of personnel but that doesn't change how the infrastructure handles the schedule. It requires more product like shampoos and dyes and other sundries but that doesn't change how they are ordered or how they are billed. It is advertised separately on the list of available procedures but how that is advertised isn't different than any other SKU.

I just don't see how adding a different type of hair cut and taking the time to research the price points on it will help me consult a company in how they need to structure their IT systems.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
If you can get good at doing senseless bullshit in college you will definitely be more ready for the workforce than your average joe.