IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Given the mechanics of how we were required to hand in homework and projects, it would probably be more enjoyable today than it was for me years ago.

Maebe_sl

shitlord
Anybody have a recommendation for a good blog/messageboard type place for tech stuff, ideally with a focus on networking?
Hi Duppin,
I'd say IRC would be your best bet for a question answer sort of thing. freenode ##networking

There is alsoNetwork Engineering Stack Exchangebut I don't use it myself so no idea on it.

Btw, if you asked me your example question I would say downloading and uploading files. (The files are up to you.)
A similar form of the question would be "what use cases do people generally use TFTP for". The answer would mainly be downloading and uploading files, particularly configs and IOSs, from network devices. That way you know what others use it for and then you can decide if you want to build test cases around that.
I know you were only using it as an example but don't sweat TFTP too much, if you can upload and download to and from a TFTP server you have TFTP done.

These may not be in the vien of what you are looking for but if you want test scenarios to test networking concepts out have a look at:
CCNA Routing & Switching Lab Workbook | Free CCNA Workbook
CCNA Routing & Switching (200-120) Practice Exam | Free CCNA Workbook
alsoPacketLife.netis a good site for test scenarios/labs.

At worst ask on rerolled and you will get answers (or feel free to IM me - I don't network much, I did more in the past but still work with a lot of networking peole).

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
This is the end of the first vacation I've had in months (5 days now). Before this weekend I hadn't had a 2 day weekend in two months.

I'm so bored out of my mind and can't wait to get back to work.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I was off Friday and Monday as well as the weekend and I'm not loving being back in the office -_-

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
This is the end of the first vacation I've had in months (5 days now). Before this weekend I hadn't had a 2 day weekend in two months.

I'm so bored out of my mind and can't wait to get back to work.
If this is true, you need a hobby that keeps your attention outside of work. Work is work, it needs to be done, but you need an actual enjoyable life outside of it.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Oh I've got hobbies, I just purposefully did fuck all to give myself a break.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I just don't get that. I guess I'm lazy. I could walk out the door of my office, never go back, be fucking thrilled about it, and never be bored.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm betting it'll change for me when I have kids. Right now if I'm not balls deep in some home project, travelling or playing a new game I usually get bored out of my mind if I'm away from work for a few days.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
These may not be in the vien of what you are looking for but if you want test scenarios to test networking concepts out have a look at:
CCNA Routing & Switching Lab Workbook | Free CCNA Workbook
CCNA Routing & Switching (200-120) Practice Exam | Free CCNA Workbook
alsoPacketLife.netis a good site for test scenarios/labs.
This is a pretty great resource. Does anyone know if there's a something similar for Juniper? My job went entirely to juniper except at the remote sites.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I somewhat understand Tuco's view. Work helps me feel productive, even if it's still drudgery. I enjoy my time off, and I certainly look forward to it. But I did a lot more of what I typically do during my free time, it would quickly become depressing. After a long weekend or vacation, I'll look forward to getting back to work.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I somewhat understand Tuco's view. Work helps me feel productive, even if it's still drudgery. I enjoy my time off, and I certainly look forward to it. But I did a lot more of what I typically do during my free time, it would quickly become depressing. After a long weekend or vacation, I'll look forward to getting back to work.
Plus I enjoy my job a lot. Figuring out problems, driving robots around, creating algorithms, writing code etc is a lot more fun than most of the other things I do.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Plus I enjoy my job a lot. Figuring out problems, driving robots around, creating algorithms, writing code etc is a lot more fun than most of the other things I do.
Like I said at the start. You need more fun shit to do.

Besides a good GPA and 5 or 6 CS courses, what are some things I can do now that will increase my chances of landing a decent internship for this coming summer.

I will have knocked out the freshman and sophomore level CS classes and be familiar with Java, C, and C++. I know I should probably just focus on maintaining a 4.0 but I feel I need to do more in order to get ahead. I am 29 (will be 30) by the time summer rolls around so I definitely need to up up my game. My resume isn't bad, I served 6 years in the US Army as a medic and I have civilian management/retail experience. I was looking into getting certified through Oracle but it looks costly especially if you order the study material. Also there are so many certifications it's kind of confusing and that is just looking at Oracles stuff, not MS or all the other programming/developing certifications floating around. Also which language do you think I should specialize in more. I know you can apply most CS concept to any language as long as you know the syntax but just in general, what are people looking for?

Also if any of you are looking for a motivated intern that is looking to gain experience and not just an adventure away from home, let me know. I'd prefer to intern for software development (specifically game programming and/or design) however I am not opposed to doing something else programming related.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
#1 thing you can do is build a personal project that is fun, appears technically demanding and easily presentable and understandable. It doesn't have to be profitable or anything anyone would want, just something you're passionate enough to do in the ~6 months you have. If you want ideas list out the programming experience you have now and something you'd want to build. The biggest thing I'd advise against is being too ambitious with a n00b project.

The pet project is good because:
1. It helps stand you out to nerds.
2. People who love building shit are almost always better workers/interns than people who are in the field because it sounded cool.

Tenks

IDK it is just an internship. They were required at my college and everyone got one. Some with assistance from the university others without assistance. You're just going to be clicking around doing QA for the most part it is a pretty low-risk venture by the company. The pet projects I mostly did at my internship and let me take them with me to present to companies I was applying for full time employment. I felt those were more impactful since full time employment (especially hiring off-the-boat new graduates) is a bit more risky for an employer.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
What you say is true, but very few schools can guarantee internships. Getting an CS internship can be very difficult if you don't have something to stand out (contacts, being female, stellar grades etc). The easiest way to stand out for a lot of people is to have a personal project you work on. Just make sure it doesn't interrupt your ability to get good grades.

Tenks

I'd say then possibly the easiest way would be to build that contacts list. If you go to MeetUp.com there aretonsof users groups that meet. Pick whatever you find most interesting (Java, C/C++, BigData, Networking .. whatever) and attend a few meetings. Explain your situation and you may get in contact with HR and have someone on the inside driving you to get the job.

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
I'm at the point in my return to school that I have to start looking at CS electives. I have to take 3 electives, one 3k, one 3 or 4k, one 4k and a capstone.

The required courses I have to do still are: 3114 (Data Structures), 3214 (Systems), and 3304 (Comparative Languages).
Course List

I have 3744 (GUI/Graphics), 4704 (Software Engi.), 4604 (Intro to DB Management) and 4284 (Systems & Networking Capstone) penciled in.

Will these courses be the most marketable post graduation, or should I choose differently?