Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit

Fazana_sl

shitlord
Can only presume seeing that trailer finished the poor old guy off
frown.png

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Does anyone think that Chris Pine looks like Matt Damon in Team America?

On a serious note, while this might be a decent movie, it has absolutely fucking nothing to do with Jack Ryan or Tom Clancy. Why even bother? I don't even see what marketing tie-ins they're after, very few people know who "Jack Ryan" the character is. They know the Harrison Ford movies, sure, but this isn't James Fucking Bond here. And the people who DO know who Jack Ryan is, probably share my opinion of not giving a fuck about this movie.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am a Chris Pine fan, but this looks bad. They are trying to turn Jack Ryan into James Bond or Jason Borne.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
For those of us who haven't read the Jack Ryan books but hear they are good, what is he if he isn't another James Bond type?

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
He's a paperpusher that ends up... in higher office. I think Patriot Games is the only book he actually busts a gun out. Oh, and Hunt for Red October. Think of him (and John Clark to a lesser extent, which is a less sexy action hero) as the common thread that binds a series of books together. I highly highly rec the books:

The Hunt for Red October
Patriot Games
The Cardinal of the Kremlin
Clear and Present Danger
The Sum of All Fears
Without Remorse (John Clark book)
Debt of Honor
Executive Orders
Rainbow Six (John Clark book)
The Bear and the Dragon
Red Storm Rising (stand alone novel not part of that universe - WWIII as it might actually have been fought 25 years ago)

Fazana_sl

shitlord
Eomer hits the nail right on the head. The Sum Of All Fears was bad enough for taking 30 odd years off the character and sending him into Russia to be all James Bond with the also far too young Clark character but this film is just using the character name and rebooting it completely. Did we need a reboot? Time will tell I guess. It might be a decent action film in its own right but why they felt the need to put Ryans name on it is rather puzzling.

Harrison Ford in Clear & Present Danger is probably the best portrayal although Baldwin wasn't bad either in Red October.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
He's a paperpusher that ends up... in higher office. I think Patriot Games is the only book he actually busts a gun out. Oh, and Hunt for Red October. Think of him (and John Clark to a lesser extent, which is a less sexy action hero) as the common thread that binds a series of books together.
The Jack Ryan character had done a brief role in the military, was it marines?? But was injured in a helicopter crash early in his service which ended that so he went into business and wrote history/tactical books before being invited in by the CIA (sort of explained quite well in Red October)

Also in another book he saw some action, Clear and present danger he worked the door mounted mini-gun on a CH-53 helicopter providing cover. Yeah like you said though that's pretty much it.

The films took an increasing liberty in trying to have his character involved in the action. The biggest departure was The Sum of all fears, where in the book he spends the entire second half in an office (his own + later the hot-line center) trying to work out the truth of the situation from scraps of info and then trying to get leaders, US and Russia, to listen to him and back away from war.

In the movie they had Ben Affleck actually going to ground zero collecting samples plus getting into numerous life and death situations.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
The Jack Ryan Jr character from the later books would fit perfectly with this movie. He's not action hero either but frequently gets caught up in the mix and he does have training from the series actual action guys (Clark/Chavez) In fact the trailer looks almost exactly like it'd be a Ryan Jr movie that would fit right into the movie canon. How much could it have cost to get Ford (or Baldwin, hah) to do a quick President Ryan scene?

Of course, all of those books suck balls and have almost none of the things that made Clancy popular. They do feature terrorists shooting up a mall (or multiple malls simultaneously? something like that) - where our concealed-carry trained military supersolider heroes just HAPPEN TO BE SHOPPING TOGETHER. /eyeroll

Arakkis

N00b
Of course, all of those books suck balls and have almost none of the things that made Clancy popular. They do feature terrorists shooting up a mall (or multiple malls simultaneously? something like that) - where our concealed-carry trained military supersolider heroes just HAPPEN TO BE SHOPPING TOGETHER. /eyeroll
This literally happened in real life you limp wristed beta.

British hero of the mall massacre: Ex Royal Marine with a handgun saved 100 lives as terrorists ran amok | Mail Online

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
For those of us who haven't read the Jack Ryan books but hear they are good, what is he if he isn't another James Bond type?
As others have said, he was primarily a desk jockey in the Tom Clancy books, with a couple exceptions. He worked for the CIA and such, but he was a "realistic" CIA analyst and wasn't involved in operations. That was John Clark and Domingo Chavez.

But that's not even what I meant with my statement that "this isn't James Fucking Bond here". What I meant by that is that James Bond is an extremely well known archetype that almost anyone will recognize. Jack Ryan isn't, at all. Outside of the people who read the books, very few people know about the character. I'd wager a lot don't even realize that Baldwin and Ford were portraying the same character, or that the 3 movies were all linked together.

And seriously, I'm really the only person who thinks that Pine looks like he's retarded?

Arakkis

N00b
Maybe this trailer is as misleading as Drive. Perhaps we have now watched all the action scenes and instead the movie will be Chris Pine using a magnifying glass to scan grainy photos like an autistic kid but with beautiful eyes and a chiseled jawline.