Jagged Alliance 3

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Watched a friend on Twitch who played the ever living shit out of JA2 both back in the day and during his Twitch days and he likes this, so take that as an endorsement if you will.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I think this has the OG producer or director, whatever, so this should be close to the "vision" of the first games.

How long are these games usually? Like what do you get for the $40?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I swear this is the worst fucking movement in the history of the human kind. They literally ruin everything they touch. Humor, arts, media, education, politics, EVERYTHING is just ruined. and the sad thing about all this is everyone jsut cowers to these oppressive theologians as if they were literally spreading the word of god by killing and destroying everything during inquisition times.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
I swear this is the worst fucking movement in the history of the human kind. They literally ruin everything they touch. Humor, arts, media, education, politics, EVERYTHING is just ruined. and the sad thing about all this is everyone jsut cowers to these oppressive theologians as if they were literally spreading the word of god by killing and destroying everything during inquisition times.
The second worst part is that millions of us saw it coming in the 90s with “political correctness” and no one listened and/or censoring/controlling speech was always the goal.

Shit’s retarded, fucking clownworld didn’t happen by accident. Everyone shoved their own faces into that pie.

We need creators who are willing to lean in to the offensive while still making a quality product, instead we get diluted shit that appeals to no one.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Played a few hours so far and it feels like JA2. Difficulty seems about the same, although maybe the starting enemy is a little weaker. Mercs are powerful, but I tried to take a counter-attack and an enemy tile on at the same time. Around 20 basic enemy zerged the shit out of my 5 mercs and I had to reload, then wait for the counter-attack to reach my base.

No bugs so far, and I have only run into one lock up, in one of the intro (tutorial) areas, due to 15ish save scums trying to figure out/test sneaking and stealth kills. The Enemies seem pretty damned blind at night, for now, so many of the old JA2 tactics probably work. It's been years since I played JA2 though and don't remember the pro strats anymore.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The Enemies seem pretty damned blind at night
tumblr_inline_pj951lvRfO1r910dp_250.gifv

velk

Trakanon Raider
This is pretty good fun.

Steroid may be kinda shit, but he's comedy gold. Blood seems just as overpowered as he always was.

I'm kind of torn on what to do for a custom merc, you kind of want the min-max, but the existing mercs are already better min-maxed that you can make.

velk

Trakanon Raider
So, about halfway through this now I think.

Thumbs up - it's JA2 but with modern graphics, solid voice acting and some improvements that don't change the flow of the game at all.

The early game is a bit different - you can end up with a pretty competent and reasonably equipped starting team, and a bit of exploration turns up stuff like rifles and AKs very early on. So less of slapfight with useless shitters to begin with ( RIP Ruben ) but the rest of the game so far is comfortable and familiar.

Probably my only complaints would be that it's a bit easy on Commando difficulty, and that the morale system makes no sense to me ( why is Barry at -2 ? How do I increase that ? Why does 'Morale improved' events in combat not actually change his morale ? How did he get to -2 in the first place ? )

Went with starter team of IMP merc as a stealth sniper, Barry, Livewire and Ice. Added MD and Raven later on. Overall worked pretty well, although I think I'd go with Buns instead of Ice if I did another run and MD really isn't carrying his weight, I'd probably swap him for another dps - probably Grizzly because I get too many machineguns that I can't use.

Livewire is great though, despite the shitty aim - you get a lot of extra stuff from her custom hacker kit and having enemy locations in full info sectors is a huge advantage. Barry doesn't do a lot most of the time (WTB: more grenades), but having him on shotgun overwatch has saved my ass quite a few times, and his shaped charges are insanely good in big fights.

Burns

that sounds tons more involved than 'let the Night-vision team snipe everyone'
You can play it both ways. You need talents to do the night vision sniper way successfully, unless you want to save scum a bunch. The mod that shows hit percent also makes a huge difference.

A few things for stealth mode:
  • You start a map in real time, and go into turn base mode once you get detected.
  • Enemies in the area, but not necessarily the whole map, will head toward the point of exposure. Meaning, anyone not seen will stay hidden, in turn based.
  • Shooting an enemy and not killing them will expose you.
  • Shooting without a silencer, regardless of enemy death, will usually expose you.
  • Missing a shot, even while silenced, will expose you.
  • An enemy patrol that finds a corpse will call the local area to start searching and begin turn based, but your sniper can stay hidden.
  • An enemy can see or hear someone die, and will call out friendlies to search, beginning turn based mode.
  • As long as none of the above happen, and the sniper kills the target in 1 shot, you stay undetected in real time mode.
  • When you snipe an enemy, you have 1 surprise turn to kill 1 witness; so you are able to take out 2 enemies (total) with 2 snipers, and return to hidden real time mode.
So, if you have a merc like Shadow, and you want to spend time watching patrols, you can thin out a map pretty well, in real time, just sneaking around sniping. For the early to mid game, the easiest tactic I have found, is setting up an ambush by putting everyone on overwatch, except the best sniper, who initiates turn based.

I have been running 3 snipers, 2 "assault" rifles, and 1 heavy machine gun. The most trouble I have had with it, is just getting swarmed taking on way too many enemies. Which, if I came back at night, could sneak around and thin the heard with snipers. Hardest fight was probably taking the mine from the commies early.

Mid game starts to introduce RPGs and Morters, so it can be harder to stay in one spot, once the enemy gets your location.

Last edited:

velk

Trakanon Raider
that sounds tons more involved than 'let the Night-vision team snipe everyone'

That still mostly works, especially on normal - I restarted on commando with the above team after soloing the first island with Blood.

Though as Burns pointed out - it's not a sure thing, particularly because some maps are very cramped, with poor sightlines. Think house to house fighting type stuff.

Also very few of the mercs have night ops - the ones that do are either not great shots ( Kaylana/Dr Q ) or are ludicrously expensive (Scope).

Goonsquad Officer
I been playing this pretty heavy. i'm...i dunno, mostly through? i took over a lot of the map, then at a certain plot point i got a lot of my regions pushed back, re-conqured them and am ready to push east across the river more heavily.

i have 2 squads, but i do all the important fight with my main squad which is....fox, wolf, steroid, katyana? (the ukranian dork mechanic), ogryn? (the eastern asian/mongolian? sniper man?), and the chad barry.

the other squad is raider, his wife, a retard in a football helmet, some jamaican mechanic and Dr q. i'm sure as shit gonna play next run with the mechanic and doc q, that man is a beast. that squad mostly trains defenders and intercepts invasions.

I've gotten a lot of use out of 2 machine guns, 2 snipers, fox's pistols and barries mix of of shaped charges / shotgun > grenade launcher > mortor.

i think really understanding the value of individual guns in this game is vital, and it's got a tremendous effect on how you play. i like it a lot. just the variance on the gimpy starting sniper gun, and moving into the more purposeful guns. then later you have 'ammo crunches' and start favoring certain machine guns over others since they chew up ammo.

I really like some of the key battles in this game, there's a great attention to detail. gonna spoiler the next part. it has to do with a face off later in the story at a key plot moment:

I fucking loved the fight where you show up at hte refugee camp and there's those army men everywhere. I suspected they were going to burn me , so i threw trigger c4 all over, but i didn't not anticipate the mustard gas bombs landing all over. when i noticed all the enemy soldiers had gas-masks on , i thought it was freaking great and a wonderful detail. some of my guys were sort of boxed in. and 'roid had to crawl his ass to a corpse, steal that guys gas mask, and put it on to keep the machine gun firing. really awesome.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

Something I sort of neglected: Leadership is an overlooked stat that greatly affects travel time, along with listed benefits.

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
I been playing this pretty heavy. i'm...i dunno, mostly through? i took over a lot of the map, then at a certain plot point i got a lot of my regions pushed back, re-conqured them and am ready to push east across the river more heavily.

i have 2 squads, but i do all the important fight with my main squad which is....fox, wolf, steroid, katyana? (the ukranian dork mechanic), ogryn? (the eastern asian/mongolian? sniper man?), and the chad barry.

the other squad is raider, his wife, a retard in a football helmet, some jamaican mechanic and Dr q. i'm sure as shit gonna play next run with the mechanic and doc q, that man is a beast. that squad mostly trains defenders and intercepts invasions.

I've gotten a lot of use out of 2 machine guns, 2 snipers, fox's pistols and barries mix of of shaped charges / shotgun > grenade launcher > mortor.

i think really understanding the value of individual guns in this game is vital, and it's got a tremendous effect on how you play. i like it a lot. just the variance on the gimpy starting sniper gun, and moving into the more purposeful guns. then later you have 'ammo crunches' and start favoring certain machine guns over others since they chew up ammo.

I really like some of the key battles in this game, there's a great attention to detail. gonna spoiler the next part. it has to do with a face off later in the story at a key plot moment:

I fucking loved the fight where you show up at hte refugee camp and there's those army men everywhere. I suspected they were going to burn me , so i threw trigger c4 all over, but i didn't not anticipate the mustard gas bombs landing all over. when i noticed all the enemy soldiers had gas-masks on , i thought it was freaking great and a wonderful detail. some of my guys were sort of boxed in. and 'roid had to crawl his ass to a corpse, steal that guys gas mask, and put it on to keep the machine gun firing. really awesome.
Football helmet guy ends up being a really good utility merc, can shoot, heal and is great at explosives. He does take some work to un-crazy

Sludig

So any outright complaints/bugs etc? First game I'm interested in that so far doesn't have people shitting on it. Never played the others I dont think, but played a few similiar ish types back in the day.

Goonsquad Officer
My only real complaint so far is that it has repetitive contrivances. so after a battle you have to walk around and loot all the stuff on the map. and the looter has to be close, so you have your guys move around and grab as a group. i'd way rather there just be a button called "case the map" and it just shovels it at you.

i don't like how you can't initiate turn based movement in the sneak phase also. but a mod gives you sneak-pause.

basically i think it's a great frame and mods are lready fixing QoL issues.

so far, for me, it's felt like a more mechanical, squad based x-com where you're shooting africans instead of aliens for the most part. multi-squads. gearing them. dealing with down time and intercepting incoming attacks is something i always wanted to have in x-com, so...here it is.

in a way it feels like wasteland 2, in that you arrive in an area. and yo ucan sort out issues on the map. the region, and adjoining areas. and then later the people you helped or fucked can help you or prevent fuckery. much, MUCH better combat/cover /modifier mechanics than wasteland tho.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burns

So any outright complaints/bugs etc? First game I'm interested in that so far doesn't have people shitting on it. Never played the others I dont think, but played a few similiar ish types back in the day.
Only bug/issue I can think of is trying to quick load while it autosaves can cause an infinite load window, where you have to force close the game. Otherwise no other technical issues.

Two main complaints I have read elsewhere: More guns, and more mods might be nice, in terms of gear progression. There might be some imbalance in guns or perks, but it's a single player game, so *shrug*.

Goonsquad Officer
mines are also annoying. they wound your guys, which take time/money/resources to fix. if you encounter one the action slows down. i really want a mod that pauses-upon-mine-sighting. so you can tell everyone to stop. and a guy to disarm it.