James S.A. Corey - The Expanse

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I mean you'd still have to read 5 and 6 for the story to make sense

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Look alive boys. Next book is out on 5Dec.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Look alive boys. Next book is out on 5Dec.
Eh. It's already out in Europe.

(and thanks. Apparently, I had it purchased on both amazon.com and .co.uk, so I was going to get an extra. Cancelled just in time)

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I hesitated a bit before giving this only 3 stars. But it's mainly because I've been there with book 5 & 6 already.

The following review doesn't spoil the actual content, but it spoils a bit how the book ends
I tend to frown on books that don't wrap their main plot at end. When you're on a long series, it's a no-no. It tends to make me want not to have purchased the book until the real ending was around. This is the case with book 7 of the Expanse: it starts with a major plot... and leave everything in place for the next book.

There's changes, minor plots, characters move all around, of course, and hints for the next book. Just like in book 5. But every time I think back on what I just read, I'm thinking of book 5 and Marco (instead of Winston). Just with the stakes raised a bit higher. And since it's the last trilogy of the Expanse, I don't even have full confidence it's going to be resolved in book 8. In fact, I'm probably going to hold on buying book 8 instead of preordering it as soon as it pops, like I did for this one. At least until the reviews hint that the Laconia plot is, indeed, resolved.

So, 3/5 stars.

PS: I'm waiting for the Strange Dogs to show up. They have to.

• 1Like

Cybsled

I finished reading it. It was good, although the locale where 90% of the book takes place had a sort of book 3 feeling to it. However, I did like the plot line they setup and it is the logical conclusion in terms of where the story was ultimately going to go. I liked it more than book 6 primarily of the setup for the storyline going forward.

Some mild spoilers
The interesting thing about the Laconians is they aren't unlikable. Sure, they have faults, but they're nothing like Marco's genocide or the Protogen stuff...well, Pen aside. But even with the Pen, they have restrictions on who they send there

And heavier spoilers for end of book
When Duarte was "seeing" Holden's thoughts, he kept mentioning something about seeing traces of something else that was there. I wonder if they are hinting at a return of Proto-Miller

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
And heavier spoilers for end of book
When Duarte was "seeing" Holden's thoughts, he kept mentioning something about seeing traces of something else that was there. I wonder if they are hinting at a return of Proto-Miller
He refers to what it feels like as a palimpsest. A Palimpsest is a medieval manuscript that's scrapped raw and rewritten. So, has Holden's personality... been rewritten?

Rime

<Donor>
Book was not bad. Was not great. I really, really dislike large time jumps in a series.

Would rate it 5 or 6 out of 10.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Book was not bad. Was not great. I really, really dislike large time jumps in a series.
Well, the series is 3 trilogies, but the line between first and second trilogy were blurred.

This one has potential, but the difference between the 1st (were each book was mostly self-contained in terms of plot events), the 2nd (only 5th and 6th were technically the same plot) and the last is... disappointing. I mean, I like trilogies, but I'd also like you to resolve your main plot each book, and just progress a general overarching narrative for the entire series.

Cybsled

The time jump was huge, but it was the only way to accommodate the story in a believable fashion. Your only other way to handle it would be "oh hey, look what we found!!!!" and they instantly own everything or try to use some time dialation technobabble

Rime

<Donor>
They also sort of 'handwave' away the 18 year jump with the 'anti-aging' drugs everyone is taking. I liked the science jump in the book. I found it interesting, but it does seem like a lot of rehash from the early parts of the series.

Will likely pick up book 8 on the first day it is out.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
While I liked the God Emperor coming to save humanity from itself in the from of the Laconia/Duarte angle. I dislike how it turned to lets attack the ancient super aliens that are still trying to kill anyone using the alien tech or whatever. I think that that will just cheapen it since the aliens in question have been around for like billions of years and wiped out a galaxy spanning hive mind species without a problem.

Nevermind that they will likely handwave that Laconia directly caused the death of billions and billions of people when they established Laconia with the Free Navy thing.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rime

<Donor>
Yep. Series is really writing itself into a bit of a corner. I am not sure how they could overcome the extra-dimensional aliens that wiped out the Protos, who have/had technology that might as well be magic.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yep. Series is really writing itself into a bit of a corner. I am not sure how they could overcome the extra-dimensional aliens that wiped out the Protos, who have/had technology that might as well be magic.

The MacGuffin seems to be that their Quantum "Bullets" were designed to target a hive mind and humanity is not so it just makes people lose consciousness for a little while. But then Holden even says to Duarte, "well you think they can't just analyze and redesign to fuck us up?"

So yeah, in most situations like this its going to be some human exceptionalism quality that wins the day. Which are almost always fucking retarded especially in the context of a super alien species that we can't even comprehend (the humans in the series can't even comprehend the Ring maker technology like you said) and that has been around for billions of years just chilling apparently.

Theorizing but I am going to bet that the extra-dimensional aliens will be something like the Photino Birds from the Xeelee Sequence (awesome series btw). So totally beyond comprehension that they aren't even considering their actions as lethal or bad merely correcting some issue that has nothing to do with the protos or humans. This will be understood somehow and we'll fuck off and realize how to not antagonize them. Milquetoast resolution.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

velk

Trakanon Raider
So yeah, in most situations like this its going to be some human exceptionalism quality that wins the day. Which are almost always fucking retarded especially in the context of a super alien species that we can't even comprehend (the humans in the series can't even comprehend the Ring maker technology like you said) and that has been around for billions of years just chilling apparently.

Theorizing but I am going to bet that the extra-dimensional aliens will be something like the Photino Birds from the Xeelee Sequence (awesome series btw). So totally beyond comprehension that they aren't even considering their actions as lethal or bad merely correcting some issue that has nothing to do with the protos or humans. This will be understood somehow and we'll fuck off and realize how to not antagonize them. Milquetoast resolution.

I dunno that that is a fair criticism, given that you are complaining about the ending to an imaginary storyline that you just created ? ;p

I'd at least wait til they write it before complaining, heh.

Overall I thought this book was pretty good. Not the best of the series, but considerably better than the worst.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I dunno that that is a fair criticism, given that you are complaining about the ending to an imaginary storyline that you just created ? ;p

I'd at least wait til they write it before complaining, heh.

Overall I thought this book was pretty good. Not the best of the series, but considerably better than the worst.

It's a fairly common trope here.

• 1Solidarity

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
Just finished the latest book. It was okay, but it felt rushed and contrived at times. Amazon shows the next book will be out this December. It also lists it as the final book.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
It shouldn't, Orbit had contracted them for 9 books total (up from the original 3).

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Just finished the most recent book.

Thought it was damn good.

The last two should be decent. Hoping for a non typical ending to

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I want next book to have Cara showing up and "fixing" things.

(if you have no idea who Cara is, you need to read the Stange Dogs novella)

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I read the wiki About strange dogs.

I really did the universe, and hope the author finishes it well.

Everyone dies, and the other dimensional aliens ascend Amos to kick it with them for eternity.

I had to stop reading for a few minutes when Amos got shot up on new Terra. Thought he killed him off