Jem and the Holograms (Truly Outrageous)

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I remember this show as a kid. When the theme song came on, it meant it was time to stop watching cartoons.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser

So Transformers is at least about big robots that transform and fight. G.I.Joe battles Cobra.

Jem is an after school special about a YouTube chick that gets turned into Lady Gaga?? No action, no adventure, no goddamn super powerful hologram creating computer?

Caliane

wow that is the lamest plot ever. the most cliche generic shit ever. just Glitter...

Even Josey and the Pussycats had enough sense to have a crazy subliminal message plotline in their sudden rise to stardom.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
The arrow's turn, the swords rebel, let nothing pierce this mortal shell!

Three suns aligned pour forth thy light and fill the archer's bow with might!

I rather enjoyed Visionaries although the premise needed a bit more oomph to it, especially with the bullshit about them needing to recharge their hologram spells after every use.

Gorillaz_sl

shitlord
Its not Jem, I mean I didn't watch it much, but this totally deviates from its name sake.

Haven't these studios watched Marvel?

Take the source material, stay true to it and the nostalgia will make you a ton of money.

I mean you can literally have a billion dollar franchise with He-Man, Jem or any of these decent cartoons from the 80s if you just don't do a hack job like this.

Its like TMNT, sure they made money, but they went for the quick fix instead of making something amazing that will continue the legacy. No one will watch the last TMNT movie a decade from now. Same with GI Joe and Transformers.

They need to stop squandering these opportunities.

Devlin

Golden Squire
This cartoon was dogshit. Anyway, I can't see most 40 year old women being interested in this awful movie even if it was faithful to the source material.

I'll admit to liking the theme tune as a kid but I never went past the credits.

The 80's were theme tune gold.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Kirk does not approve.

PS - Recharge your fuckin' phone Admiral.

tumblr_noafn6dRGV1rescafo1_500.jpg

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I never liked the cartoon but I watched a producer talk about making the cartoon a movie because it was difficult or a challenge. Is this the same producer/director?

Why do studios buy rights and then slaughter the source material? it never seems to work

Brad2770

Even if it was true to the source material, do you think you will actually watch it?

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
If Matthew Vaughn or Brad Bird yes. Just because the source material sucks doesnt mean it cant be awesome. Kickass comic sucked but Vaughn mad that movie great

That wasnt my point, why did they buy the rights to the cartoon when its not even close to the source material

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
They had an iHeartRadio concert for the movie by way of promotion :

The other songs can be found on the "Kimber Benton" you tube channel

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Well it's come and gone ...

This movie did so terribly that Universal is pulling it from theaters after 2 weeks

"Jem" came in 15th place its opening week in theaters, taking in $1.37 million on 2,413 screens. That's $570 per screen.

Things didn't get any better for the movie its following week. In 2,417 screens, "Jem" took in $387,925. That's only $160 per screen.

"Theater chains are contractually obligated to hold a film for two weeks after booking it. However, in all my days as an analyst, I've never seen a studio actually stop reporting after two weeks," Jeff Bock, senior box-office analyst at Exhibitor Relations, told Business Insider Monday. "This is unprecedented, and shows just how badly this film flopped. Not only is it the lowest-grossing debut for a studio film this year, but it's the worst all-time - by a considerable margin - for any film released in 2,000-plus theaters."

Troll_sl

shitlord
So I went and saw Bridge of Spies on the weekend that this movie was released. There was a group of preteen girls lined up to see this, with a couple mothers in tow.

Jem was playing in the theater next to Bridge of Spies. I got up to take a piss during the movie, about 40 minutes in, and saw the group leaving out the back.