Jojo Rabbit (2019)

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
3.20 star(s) Rating: 3.20/5 5 Votes
Title: Jojo Rabbit (2019)

Tagline: An anti-hate satire

Genre: Comedy, War

Director: Taika Waititi

Cast: Roman Griffin Davis, Thomasin McKenzie, Taika Waititi, Scarlett Johansson, Sam Rockwell, Rebel Wilson, Alfie Allen, Stephen Merchant, Luke Brandon Field, Joe Weintraub, Brian Caspe, James McVan, Judith Georgi, Archie Yates, Victoria Hogan, Bethany Adams

Release: 2019-10-18

Plot: Jojo Rabbit is about a young boy living during World War II. His only escapism is through his imaginary friend, an ethnically inaccurate version of Adolf Hitler, who pushes the young boy's naive patriotic beliefs. However, this all changes when a young girl challenges those views and causes Jojo to face his own issues.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I don't know what I just watched but I'm going to see that movie.

People are calling Taika Waititi an SJW for female Thor but SJWs wouldn't do a Hitler parody, those are continuations of WW2 Allied propaganda and SJWs hate the west. Any Nazi imagery is haram to an SJW as it "normalises" Nazis.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Wat.

That looks like Taika Waititi doing an homage to Quentin Tarantino making a mock Wes Anderson movie written by the Cohen Brothers.

It's either going to be amazing or suck completely.

• 1Salty
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>

People are calling Taika Waititi an SJW for female Thor but SJWs wouldn't do a Hitler parody, those are continuations of WW2 Allied propaganda and SJWs hate the west. Any Nazi imagery is haram to an SJW as it "normalises" Nazis.

Because some of the anti-SJW's are equally as lame as the rabid SJW types.

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider

Lol. Anyone calling anyone SJW for female Thor would be idiots anyhow. Jane Foster as Thor goes back to ... *checks wikipedia* ... a comic from 1978, lol.

198981-174531-jane-foster.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
Saw this today, really enjoyed it. Very sweet movie. Feels like a love letter from Taika Watiti to his mom. He (as Hitler) is really not in the movie that much, its more about the little aryan boy.

The cast is fantastic, the young kids and ScarJo is great but Sam Rockwell just KILLS it as comic relief. If you're a Sam Rockwell fan, you gotta see it.

• 1Like

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
I caught this Sunday and agree it was a really good movie. I went in expected more silliness, but it turned out to be a pretty real take on WWII from a little nazi-in-the-making's perspective.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Man, I read the byline and thought, quite literally "Fuck you, that sounds like the stupidest group of words put together of all time".

Then I saw the cast. Then I watched the teaser. Now I want to see it.

I am a MASSIVE fan of Sam Rockwell. I will watch just about anything he is in, he is comedy genius. And can do serious as well. Love him.

Must watch now.

Very strange couple of minutes I just had there.

• 1Like

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Gotta be honest, I’m totally tired of movies revolving around Jews and the holocaust made by Hollywood, which I can only assume will still be made 500 years from now if we’re still alive. Yeah, we get it, the Holocaust was a thing, enough.

That said, this movie is super well done. It just about perfectly blends humor and drama and doesn’t overdo it on either front with silliness nor sappy sentimentality. The actors were all well chosen and even the kids did a great job. I don’t even usually like Scarlet Johansson and she was good in this.

I’d be surprised if this doesn’t win any awards. Totally worth checking out if it’s playing in your area.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I'm surprised this thread hasn't seen more action. I thought this movie was hilarious. Taika Waititi can do no wrong it seems.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
I'm surprised this thread hasn't seen more action. I thought this movie was hilarious. Taika Waititi can do no wrong it seems.
Saw it yesterday, really enjoyed it.

It's a good movie but it's a bit of a journey from the comedy of Hitler Youth Camp the start to the tension of the Gestapo at the middle and horrors of the fall of Germany at the end. There is comedy all the way through but there's less towards the end.

I guess that's why it's not gotten much attention, if it was a comedy all the way through it'd be doing great (the comedy is excellent), but the subject material requires the darker elements and it made my wife cry!

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
I watched up until the point Rebel Wilson showed up. Nasty fat ass ruins everything she is in.

• 2Picard
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
Really good movie. Taika is the man. Didn't check, but honestly his role as Hitler should've been nominated for best supporting actor. I know it won best screenplay, but he was really, really good.

Rebel Wilson was great in this you fuck. "I've birthed 18 children for Germany!"

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Just watched this tonight after some recos, was definitely enjoyable, Poor scarjo

Fadaar

That guy
Taika shoulda gotten a supporting actor nod for this. I think Pitt deserved the win but Taika was awesome in this.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database