Joy Ride (2023)

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 1 Votes
Title: Joy Ride (2023)

Tagline: Four friends. One trip. No luck.

Genre: Comedy

Director: Adele Lim

Cast: Ashley Park, Sherry Cola, Stephanie Hsu, Sabrina Wu, David Denman, Annie Mumolo, Chris Pang, Isla Rose Hall, Desmond Chiam, Alexander Hodge, Nicholas Carella, Debbie Fan

Release: 2023-07-05

Runtime: 92

Plot: Four Asian-American friends travel through Asia in search of one of their birth mothers. Along the way, their experience becomes one of bonding, friendship, belonging and no-holds-barred debauchery.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I saw the red band trailer for this just before John Wick. I suspect this will do well. I wonder if it'll actually be funny, though.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Oh hey the latest shit tier weed stoner movie from your totally relatable white guy Seth Rogan who shits on white people twice in 10 seconds.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This was pretty bad. Just awful writing. None of the jokes were funny. The weird goofy friend that youre suppose to like is so unlikable and should never attempt comedy again. The only funny part was the opening scene. Dont know how this is getting like a 90% on RT.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I'm so shocked that they tried to recreate The Hangover with Asian women and it is spectacularly bad. It's almost like just writing females as if they were males doesn't ever work and even women don't like to watch it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I had nothing else going on tonight, so I watched this. Actually, it wasn't terrible. It's set up a raunchy comedy with hints of emotion. While I didn't love it, I wasn't bored either. That said, I was a completely silent watcher, but I was still mostly enjoying myself, even if I didn't laugh at all.

Oh, there's a pussy tattoo. A very strong one. Going down the google rabbit hole, it turns out they didn't just find some chick that had a tattoo and film it. Instead they found a chick that was fine being nude and printed out some design and placed it on her pussy. Odd.

Anyway, what a left turn did this post take. I didn't hate the movie, but didn't love it either. I was amused, and not bored.

Last edited:

spronk

FPS noob
the BTS is probably way more interesting and funnier than this movie. The director worked on crazy rich asians, and was hired to cowrite the sequel. Then she found out the male cowriter was being paid 8x as much as she was so she quit and made the disney asian dragon and this movie instead, both of which bombed spectacularly lol

no one in hollywood will talk about how she left a successful franchise over pay to do her own stuff and all of it bombed hard, because actually talking about consequences or how tying pay to results is misogynistic i guess

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database