(JRPG) Cosmic Star Heroine (PC/PS4/Vita)

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Released in April. Just got it.

Turn based old school jrpg for $15. Was a kickstarter procject in 2013 with the sales pitch

New turn-based RPG from the creators of Cthulhu Saves the World. Inspired by Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star & Suikoden.

Good so far. Played it for 4 hours. Supposedly takes around 12-15 hours to complete. Recommend at least Heroine difficulty. Not that difficult so far, only died once.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Graphically it looks nice but the sales pitch seems weird based on the trailer. It seems to have a static party so I don't fully understand the Suikoden reference, it is turn based instead of action based so not really CT-style (I guess maybe because you encounter mobiles on the open world and not random encounters?) Almost seems like they just decided to take a bunch of beloved childhood games, claim to be inspired and profit.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Graphically it looks nice but the sales pitch seems weird based on the trailer. It seems to have a static party so I don't fully understand the Suikoden reference, it is turn based instead of action based so not really CT-style (I guess maybe because you encounter mobiles on the open world and not random encounters?) Almost seems like they just decided to take a bunch of beloved childhood games, claim to be inspired and profit.

Yes, enemies are visible like CT, no random encounters so far. You run around inside, then outside there is a map where you run around similar to CT as well. So far party members have been static. Have encountered more than the 4 I can use at once, but others have always disappeared naturally before others join. There is a party menu though, so assume I can switch them later.

No real "combo" attacks so far either, but the combat system is actually tactical. Spamming X (normal attack) will get you killed.

Main part of combat is that you gain a % of "hyper" doing actions, some do more, some less/none. Once hyper reaches 100% you do more damage/increase chance of inflicting status ailments. So you try to min/max abilities to hit at certain points. Abilities are split between once per battle (items/programs), one time uses (refresh when defending) and repeatable skills. You can end up having to defend to refresh heals when you need them or have no damage abilities up when you get hyper. Also tactical in that the various characters have abilities that can amplify each other.

Items are equipped in slots and can be used by the entire party, but only once per battle. HP, items, programs are all refreshed from battle to battle. Weapons/shields/accessories can give you new skills based on your stats.

I am Setsuna is probably a better CT-clone, but this isn't bad (so far).

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
This guy made 2 other RPGs I enjoyed on steam (breath of death 7, cthulu saves the world). Will probably pick this one up. They are pretty simple but paced well and lots of good references to other games.