JRPGs

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Unicorn overlord smash or pass?

triangle strategy is my favorite brilliant game
It’s great, I thought about making a dedicated thread but not sure how active it would be due to not being on PC. It’s like someone took Ogre Battle and added a bunch of modern mechanics.

It’s a lot deeper than it appears at first. Once you start getting into the gambit system and better gear it opens up all kinds of synergies and unit builds. It also removed the “use one unit and get penalized” that Ogre Battle had which is nice. You can make one or two really strong units and just focus on getting them into choke points and support them with ranged/healing support units. There’s also some rock paper scissor mechanics so you can’t rely on one or two units 100% of the time.

It’s the modern Ogre Battle successor I had always hoped for but no one could ever quite do.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Soul Nomad and the World Eaters came close, I'd recommend giving it a try if you like this specific genre. The voice acting is pretty rough (ok that may be an understatement, it is the WORST voice acting I have ever heard) and the main story is typical trope, but the post-game and the alternate evil story is $$$$$$$$$.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Soul Nomad and the World Eaters came close, I'd recommend giving it a try if you like this specific genre. The voice acting is pretty rough (ok that may be an understatement, it is the WORST voice acting I have ever heard) and the main story is typical trope, but the post-game and the alternate evil story is $$$$$$$$$.
Yep I played that when it came out. I still own it but haven’t revisited it since then. I don’t remember it having a map, it was just menus and battle scenes I think? Been a long time, holy shit 2007 lol.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
It’s great, I thought about making a dedicated thread but not sure how active it would be due to not being on PC. It’s like someone took Ogre Battle and added a bunch of modern mechanics.

It’s a lot deeper than it appears at first. Once you start getting into the gambit system and better gear it opens up all kinds of synergies and unit builds. It also removed the “use one unit and get penalized” that Ogre Battle had which is nice. You can make one or two really strong units and just focus on getting them into choke points and support them with ranged/healing support units. There’s also some rock paper scissor mechanics so you can’t rely on one or two units 100% of the time.

It’s the modern Ogre Battle successor I had always hoped for but no one could ever quite do.

I really wanted to give UO a whirl and had it on my agenda, but it looks too time-consuming. Still glad there's a modern Ogre Battle. Will probably check it out eventually when time permits. "Smash or pass" probably depends on how much free time you've got.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I really wanted to give UO a whirl and had it on my agenda, but it looks too time-consuming. Still glad there's a modern Ogre Battle. Will probably check it out eventually when time permits. "Smash or pass" probably depends on how much free time you've got.
I’d rather spend more time in something really well done than spread it out amongst a bunch of mediocre stuff.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I’d rather spend more time in something really well done than spread it out amongst a bunch of mediocre stuff.

Agreed. At this point I really want to do some Souls strength builds now that I've seen Berserk. Kinda given up on keeping up with new games.

Eiyuden is something I've wanted for years but we'll see when I even get around to that, might just have to live vicariously through other people's posts.

• 1Pathetic
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Unicorn Overlord is $40 on Amazon now. Switch version looks like it's close to selling out since the delivery date is a week+ out. Xbox/PS5 ship immediately still.

I'd highly recommend the Switch version. I tried the demo on Series X too and there's barely any difference. Even the load times aren't bad on Switch, which is usually the deal-breaker for me when it comes to multiplats. Most importantly, it's the type of game that's well suited to portable mode imo.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Got gifted a copy of Eiyuden Chronicles while having COVID so I checked it out (also got Rising, the prequel episode game, since it's like $15 now, probably gonna play that after the main game)

After 2 hours, STRONG recommendation for the main game if you're a retro JRPG fan. 100% must-get for a Suikoden fan. It looks pretty great on PS5, like we remember Suikoden 1 and 2 looking, but maybe they didn't in actuality. The visuals are kind of 2D-HD and everything pops. And make no mistake, this game is basically Suikoden 3 if it had continued in the visual style of the first two. The story is basically the Harmonia Empire game that the Suikoden series teased a few times (mainly in Suikoden 3) but never actually did. AKA a powerful and morally-ambiguous empire is collecting True Runes with uncertain intentions. I always wanted a Harmonia game since the Suikoden series kept teasing them as the big kind of final force to contend with and it just went nowhere, like Arek the Overseer in the Lufia series. Never gonna understand building up a Bigger Bad over multiple games and then just dropping it in later sequels.

In any case, Eiyuden Chronicles, really freaking good Suikoden game made by a lot of the same people. If anyone else gets it lemme know.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
In any case, Eiyuden Chronicles, really freaking good Suikoden game made by a lot of the same people.
...and then ruined by retarded westerners.

Though personally I didn't find the game that great to begin with so I'm not too bothered about dumping it. Doubly so with it being another Game Pass release that I didn't actually pay for. The turn-based combat just feels so basic and bare-bones when you're used to a couple decades worth of Atlus games. I just auto-battled my way through the trash fights and only the bosses required any thought at all, which was tempered by them almost always going first each turn which meant a lot of it came down to luck (i.e. same person targeted twice in a row = guess I'll waste another revival).

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Some of those examples are fucking retarded.

You actually want me to believe that this translation would be better?

1713987577444.png

I hate retarded translations, but most of these examples are just nitpicking the tiniest things.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Some of those examples are fucking retarded.

You actually want me to believe that this translation would be better?

View attachment 526158

I hate retarded translations, but most of these examples are just nitpicking the tiniest things.
That’s just weebs weebing. How dare you mistranslate my sacred Japanese!

Adding really stupid shit like rub a dub dub and “jingle jingle and all that” is…really stupid though. Who the fuck says that?

Goonsquad Officer
Some folks like reading what the original writer wrote. Japanese expressions and all. We really just need options to view literal or chode translated so you can view both. Like pixel remaster swap music and art

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
...and then ruined by retarded westerners.

Though personally I didn't find the game that great to begin with so I'm not too bothered about dumping it. Doubly so with it being another Game Pass release that I didn't actually pay for. The turn-based combat just feels so basic and bare-bones when you're used to a couple decades worth of Atlus games. I just auto-battled my way through the trash fights and only the bosses required any thought at all, which was tempered by them almost always going first each turn which meant a lot of it came down to luck (i.e. same person targeted twice in a row = guess I'll waste another revival).

Wow, that is some incredibly nitpicky bullshit.

The game's dialogue is fine, pretty funny most of the time actually. There was no "did you assume its gender", what happened was they fought a big super-powerful golem and the hero kept calling it "he" and the main girl was like "how do you know it wasn't a she??" which was pretty funny (because it was clearly an It) and was the kind of thing her character would say since she's a spunky JRPG chick.

Anyway, give it a try, it's a solid game.