JRPGs

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Which version would you recommend? Switch has 8 on sale til tomorrow for $24, Steam sells for $40 but the full DLC bundle is $53

I played it on PS4 and it ran at well. Can't speak to PC but I'm pretty sure Switch version runs at 30fps. I'd personally get it on PC or PS4 for 60fps but not sure how much you value portability.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
When I tried the Switch version it was dropping to 720p and occasionally lower even in docked mode. Framerate wasn't completely stable at 30 fps either. That was post 1.04 patch, which appears to still be the last time NISA touched it.

That said the game looks pretty bad on PC too, mainly because it started out as a Vita game. At least it's fairly trivial to get it to run at 60 fps all the time though. There's a "HD" texture mod available too, never tried it but it might fix some of the ugliness. Won't fix the low-poly models though.

Last edited:

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Didn't realize there was a PS4 port, that's on sale for $20 til 1/20 as well. So it's a performance choice vs DLC. Switch gets costumes baked in but is all the other DLC P2W stuff?

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Didn't realize there was a PS4 port, that's on sale for $20 til 1/20 as well. So it's a performance choice vs DLC. Switch gets costumes baked in but is all the other DLC P2W stuff?

Yeah I think it's just costumes and consumables iirc. Don't remember extra levels or anything like that.

joz123

Potato del Grande
I got it on switch just for the portability. It was fine on handheld. If you are just going to play docked then just get the ps4 version.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I completely forgot about these games. I have Ys: The Oath in Felghana that I last played 10 years ago on Steam.

I also must have sucked at it because I have this achievement...

1610227312119.png

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I just grabbed Ys 8 on PSN, it's on a really good sale.

Unfortunately for Ys 7 I'll need to jump through some hoops to play it (either find a PSP or get a PSP emulator). Wish it had a console port like all of the others.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

Unfortunately for Ys 7 I'll need to jump through some hoops to play it (either find a PSP or get a PSP emulator). Wish it had a console port like all of the others.

Took me about 5 minutes this morning to work it out with PPSSPP for Ys 7. You shouldn’t have any issues.

Vorph

PPSSPP will work as Intrinsic Intrinsic said, but why not just play the PC version?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
That could work, I'll look into it. Squeezing 7+8 in before 9 should be doable timewise, going to give it a shot.

Malakriss

First two chapters of Ys8 are incredibly dry, the main plot hasn't even started yet.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
First two chapters of Ys8 are incredibly dry, the main plot hasn't even started yet.

I don't mind games with slow starts. I used to. Took me years to get into Dragon Quest VII, which has several hours of game/story before you even get to fight any battles. Now, though, I'm okay with that kind of thing.

Looking forward to playing as the hawt blue-haired girl. Do you play as her a lot during the game? Hope so. Was disappointed in how little Aqua gameplay there was in what I saw of Kingdom Hearts 3.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
PPSSPP will work as Intrinsic Intrinsic said, but why not just play the PC version?

I think I jumped in to the thread at a strange spot and didn't see Aladain's post about having VII on Steam, saw Rajaah's post so immediately went looking for the PSP route, and didn't bother to check. Oh well!

Malakriss

Hit 99 on Ys8, am I reading the internet correctly where it says the only thing NG+ unlocks is a new mode with insane difficulty and nothing else? Seems like a severe drop in mileage compared to other games.

joz123

Potato del Grande
Hit 99 on Ys8, am I reading the internet correctly where it says the only thing NG+ unlocks is a new mode with insane difficulty and nothing else? Seems like a severe drop in mileage compared to other games.
Yup. No point in replaying really. No new gear at all.

Malakriss

For a game that already came out in japan a year ago Ys9 has some weird launch quirks for NA. Playstation store only lets you buy the deluxe version for digital, physical only lets you buy standard and limited editions but only the digital preorder has exclusive costumes. Which have no previews yet. (edit: had to do some searching but falcom reddit confirmed they are 3 existing JP outfits on their playstation store, the 4th is from a book which had 5 other outfits shown. Nothing spectacular and likely sold individually later)

There are apparently frame drops in the hub area for PS4, less so for the Pro, and PS5 runs stable 60fps.

Last edited:

Vorph

That demo gameplay knocked it down to a rental, and even that is only because Outriders got hit with a two month delay. Didn't find the combat fun at all, and the dungeons still look like they're being made from PSVita assets.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Weird how Ys 5 never got a western release much less a remake. You'd think they would have tapped into it by now. I've never played Ys 4 either and have to figure out which version to go with whenever I get around to it. The TG16, Super Famicom, and Vita/PS4 versions are all pretty different from each other.