JRPGs

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
This is the first new mainline Fire Emblem game since Three Houses...which was 2019.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I played all the non-mainline games, so it feels like there's a lot of them. That's cool for people who are into it. I'm just a bit weary of the series. I vastly preferred the old style of FE, where the characters were less anime and more of a Suikoden-ish design. These new ones don't do much for me but I kept playing them because I was a fan.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
As for that Star Ocean demo...
That was Harvestella (some sort of life sim/farming ARPG) with the retarded gender selection.

Wo Long wasn't much better. Male / female was replaced with type 1 / type 2 like in so many games these days, and the localization team went the extra mile and threw in a pronoun selection menu as well. Can't actually use it yet, so no making fun of the stupid choices they give, but it'll be there for release. What really cracks me up about that shit is the game is based on Chinese mythology and I guaran-fuckin-tee that the Chinese version of the game will not contain any of that nonsense.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Meh, I haven't gotten to mess with the Harvestella demo since I have been working on some projects, but it's a small thing to complain about. Now if they just throw alphabet people at you nonstop in the game, then it's a problem. From what I can see, it's just text swaps on what they refer to you as. Silly, but not a game breaker for me. If it's Sandman: The Farming SIM, then I am not interested in supporting it.

Vorph

Lenneth remaster is no longer shipping along with Valkyrie Elysium, new date is 12/22. Makes the decision whether or not to pre-order the deluxe edition a hell of a lot easier (hard no).

• 1Solidarity

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Been playing the Live-a-Live remaster. It's a good time if you like obscure Super Famicom RPGs. They changed very little from the original outside of the graphics which obviously got a big overhaul.

This means that there are a few unpolished things, like the Prehistoric chapter generally being a pain without a guide (due to missables). However it's a fun playthrough with a lot of charm. I'm about a third of the way through it.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

I don't normally ever get hyped up over indie games (unless it's that Mother 4* project or AM2R) but I gotta say, this Trinity Trigger game has my attention. The music is SO GOOD and so similar to Secret of Mana that I'm wondering if it has the same composer. Also, ring menus and multiplayer. This looks incredible. Only thing I don't like is all the yelling during battles, a trope that is in a ton of modern games, but it can probably be turned off.

Don't know if I'll actually play this, since I got similarly excited about I Am Setsuna and Undertale and never actually got to either of them. But it does look really good, as a huge Mana fan.

* - Whatever happened to Mother 4 anyway? Anyone remember that?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>

I don't normally ever get hyped up over indie games (unless it's that Mother 4* project or AM2R) but I gotta say, this Trinity Trigger game has my attention. The music is SO GOOD and so similar to Secret of Mana that I'm wondering if it has the same composer. Also, ring menus and multiplayer. This looks incredible. Only thing I don't like is all the yelling during battles, a trope that is in a ton of modern games, but it can probably be turned off.

Don't know if I'll actually play this, since I got similarly excited about I Am Setsuna and Undertale and never actually got to either of them. But it does look really good, as a huge Mana fan.

* - Whatever happened to Mother 4 anyway? Anyone remember that?
He's worked on a variety of indie projects. One of the traditional rogue-likes I played that got me into the genre had a very SNES JRPG era soundtrack and some of the tracks were specifically made by the SoM composer. So could be the case.

That said all these pseudo indie square rpgs have had pretty meh reception usually. I am Setsuna got very mild reviews, Octopath Traveller was also pretty meh received and so on. So I'd definitely not get too hyped before it's release. Undertale I wouldn't put in the same category though since it was a pretty different experience and not made by a japanese studio either.

OST of Tangledeep, the rogue-like I mentionned:

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
He's worked on a variety of indie projects. One of the traditional rogue-likes I played that got me into the genre had a very SNES JRPG era soundtrack and some of the tracks were specifically made by the SoM composer. So could be the case.

That said all these pseudo indie square rpgs have had pretty meh reception usually. I am Setsuna got very mild reviews, Octopath Traveller was also pretty meh received and so on. So I'd definitely not get too hyped before it's release. Undertale I wouldn't put in the same category though since it was a pretty different experience and not made by a japanese studio either.

OST of Tangledeep, the rogue-like I mentionned:

Whoever that SoM composer is, they're probably my third-favorite game composer behind Yasunori Mitsuda and Hitoshi Sakimoto. ...yeah I've never been as into Uematsu's work as other people, but he's probably #4 if it helps.

I thought Octopath was an actual Square game, not a pseudo-indie Square game? It says it was jointly developed by Square and Acquire. Was Square's contribution minimal or something? I've also heard meh things about it, but at the very least it did start this "2D-HD" trend that I really like and want to see more games adopt.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Bought the Romancing Saga 2 Remaster on Switch, since I wanted something similar after Live-a-Live. $7 at the moment on eShop.

Only an hour in but I can't say I recommend this one. There are no QOL improvements over the SFC version (and anyone who played the old SaGa games via fan translations knows how rough around the edges those games are). It looks like all they did was ramp up the graphics from Early 16-Bit level (FF4-ish) to PS1 level (Suikoden 1-ish). Which makes it look a lot nicer on modern systems, but it isn't the kind of upgrade I was hoping for.

The music is great though. Extremely similar to FF4's soundtrack, to the extent that it sometimes feels like you're playing an FF4 side-game or something.

The problem is the QOL and the way the game gives you ZERO CLUE what to do the majority of the time. Also you don't get a choice of characters at the outset like you do in RS3/Saga Frontier/LAL. Nope, RS2 you have one character, then at two points midway through the game you choose a class for your successor, then at the end it goes back to one character. Very strange game, not sure if I really want to invest time in it. Was hoping for another SaGa game along the lines of what I know, but this is very, very proto-era SaGa before it knew what it was yet.

I never got a chance to play RS1 (not sure if it even got a translation) but I imagine it was even more rough around the edges.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
RS2 turned out to be really good, got about 40% through it. Once it makes sense, it's a fairly unique RPG and a lot of fun. It does the "generations" system like Phantasy Star 3, except wrapped in a better game.

I've got a question, anyone know of a good/decent ROM site these days? I haven't fooled with any emulator stuff in a long time. I heard Romancing Saga 1 (Super Famicom) is fully translated now and I'm gonna check it out whenever I'm done with RS2 (already played RS3). I know RS1 is nowhere near as good as 2/3 but whatever.

Basically, looking for the translated RS1 ROM or a site that has ROMs/patches and isn't all viruses or whatev. If anyone happens to have the RS1 translation around feel free to send that my way too.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Tactics Ogre Reborn on steam out in 3 hours, fairly excited for this. I remember in highschool when the OG came out, sunk 100's of hours into that game. Saw the video explaining some of the improvements and looks pretty solid.

Only thing i didn't like was the "world" levels, always hated artificle caps in games but such as life.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I didnt play this one but I did play the shit out of Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen on SNES. Will definitely pick this one up.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Ogre Battle on SNES was awesome as well. I'll gladly pay $50 for this compared to the bullshit crap that comes out now days.

• 1Like

Vorph

Tactics Ogre is by far the best of its genre imo and the changes they made for Reborn sound great, but it's irritating that SE decided not to release it for Xbox. I really don't want to buy it on PC (at least not until it shows up on Geforce Now) or PS5... anyone here tried it on Switch? I've heard it looks great on both handheld and docked, but I'm not seeing anyone talk about load times which are something that have made me regret buying a few things on Switch instead of other platforms in the past.