Just had my expired passport stolen

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Had a passport stolen but was expired (also had 1800 euros stolen, fuck you Nice, fr). I still have my current passport.
I figure I need to report something like this but am heading back to the US in a few days. Is this worth reporting to the embassy or can I wait till I get home? Any possibility this may cause me shit at the airport when I'm at security?

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Did you already report the money stolen?
Nah. We're not even sure when it happened. It may just be lost but the fact it first went missing after visiting the markets at nice makes us suspicious. Still more worried about the expired passport than the cash. I have work the day after my flight so can ill afford any delays

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
That's an interesting question.

The thing I'd be worried about (and which you're probably worried about) is having my valid passport cancelled through some government drone fuckup, thus resulting in problems at the airport. As soon as you report a passport lost or stolen it is invalidated so it can't be used by whoever took it. I'm not sure if whatever system is used to do this can differentiate between valid and expired passports. Given my past experiences with consulates/embassies/government workers, I'd wait until I got home to report it stolen.

Just cross your fingers that he doesn't purchase WMDs or something posing as you between now and the time you get home.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
That's an interesting question.

The thing I'd be worried about (and which you're probably worried about) is having my valid passport cancelled through some government drone fuckup, thus resulting in problems at the airport. As soon as you report a passport lost or stolen it is invalidated so it can't be used by whoever took it. I'm not sure if whatever system is used to do this can differentiate between valid and expired passports. Given my past experiences with consulates/embassies/government workers, I'd wait until I got home to report it stolen.

Just cross your fingers that he doesn't purchase WMDs or something posing as you between now and the time you get home.
Thanks yea in not able to find any solid info on a govt site regarding what to do in this scenario. Will just report it when I get back

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Why the shit are you traveling with an expired passport, anyways? That shit should be somewhere safe at home, or destroyed. It doesn't have any more utility or legitimacy than a photocopy of your current one.

Sterling

El Presidente
Why the shit are you traveling with an expired passport, anyways? That shit should be somewhere safe at home, or destroyed. It doesn't have any more utility or legitimacy than a photocopy of your current one.
^

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
The 1800EUR and expired passport were decoys to protect his real passport. Mission successful!

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
That's a lot of cash to be carrying around. Drug deal gone bad. You heard it here first.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
you better take care of it, but since you were carrying euro... maybe your from those lands then, in the US all you need to do to renew your passport is an old expired passport, a new photo and a check. I did it at my local library, they even take the picture. And my passport expired like 8 years ago (at the time of renewal).

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yea I'm not sure why my wife brings my old passport - I guess its insurance in case I lose my new one? As far as the money, it was a long trip and we brought it as emergency money ( was primarily going to use cc) - made the mistake of putting it all in one place

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Past I travel overseas and have straight up lost mine twice. I realize you have the valid one so you arent in the same boat I was in but I would contact CBP who runs passport control at the international incoming areas.

When you lose it completely they ask you about 10 questions like license plate, car make, house payment, # of credit cards etc which takes about an hour to do so in a back room.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yea I'm not sure why my wife brings my old passport - I guess its insurance in case I lose my new one? As far as the money, it was a long trip and we brought it as emergency money ( was primarily going to use cc) - made the mistake of putting it all in one place
You can't even use an expired passport as a valid form of ID. The only thing bringing it does is increase the chance of identity theft. Guess it won't be a problem now, since it's gone.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
You can't even use an expired passport as a valid form of ID. The only thing bringing it does is increase the chance of identity theft. Guess it won't be a problem now, since it's gone.
This. Like I said, always bring a photocopy of your passport and keep it somewhere secure just in case. There's no upside to bringing an expired one, and lots of downsides.

Eorkern

Bronze Squire
I don't understand what your fear is ? They might try to use your expired passport ? I'd say the chance of that is very very low, they will dump the ID and keep the cash.