Justice for Zimmerman

Status
Not open for further replies.

khalid

Unelected Mod
CNN talking about the prosecution closing statements:
"Zimmerman had hate in his heart"
"That child had every right to be afraid"

Nice racebaiting prosecution, this is yet more things that will upset the gullible when he gets acquitted.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Everyone I work with argues the case either on emotional points or on meaningless factoids. "He shouldn't have gotten out of the car!" etc. Hopefully the jury isn't the same way.
This sentiment is surprisingly prevalent. I always ask the people who say it how they can be so racist by saying it..and they look at me like I have three heads. But seriously, people are treating black people as if they are animals "He can't help attacking! It's was Zimmerman's fault for provoking it."

Literally I could replace Trayvon with "Bear" and nearly every statement defending him would sound the same. "You don't just get outside your car and follow a bear around....It's stupid to antagonize a bear by following it....You shouldn't just be able to just shoot a bear for doing what comes naturally when he's being harassed." It's amazing. Honestly the defense of Trayvon's actions is the thing that makes me believe racism is a alive and well in this country. We have absolutely no expectation of peaceful interaction, at all, between the races--black people are thought of as just animals that you risk being around at your own peril (Even by other black people.)

It's deeply disturbing, actually.

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
This sentiment is surprisingly prevalent. I always ask the people who say it how they can be so racist by saying it..and they look at me like I have three heads. But seriously, by saying he should have stayed in his car, you're attempting to correlate the chance of assault with even being in proximity of a black male. People are treating black people as if they are animals "He can't help attacking! It's was Zimmerman's fault for provoking it."

Literally I could replace Trayvon with "Bear" and nearly every statement defending him would sound the same. "You don't just get outside your car and follow a bear around....It's stupid to antagonize a bear by following it....You shouldn't just be able to just shoot a bear for doing what comes naturally when he's being harassed." It's amazing. Honestly the defense of Trayvon's actions is the thing that makes me believe racism is a alive and well in this country. We have absolutely no expectation of peaceful interaction, at all, between the races--black people are thought of as just animals that you risk being around at your own peril (Even by other black people.)

This was my thought. I certainly wouldn't approach someone that was following me, and if a confrontation did occur I would likely be like "Ummm, is there a problem? Something I can help with?" I certainly wouldn't start wailing on them unless it was the only option. I mean what do the police and everyone else tell you in robbery type situations where you are justified fighting back. They tell you to give them what they want and let them leave if possible...

Tide27_sl

shitlord
This sentiment is surprisingly prevalent. I always ask the people who say it how they can be so racist by saying it..and they look at me like I have three heads. But seriously, people are treating black people as if they are animals "He can't help attacking! It's was Zimmerman's fault for provoking it."

And yet here you are completely oblivious to the trial and the law as well.

NO ONE is debating that Zimmerman followed Trayvon. That wasnt ILLEGAL.

Edit....Race has nothing to do with anything presented at the trial and in fact the only reason race was brought up was to inflame the public. Trayvon could have been white, black, asian, indian, swahili, russian, or any of the above and the facts still support what the outcome was.

Trayvon engaged Zimmerman in a fist fight and was mounted on top of him as every ounce of evidence shows, both the prosecutions and the defenses evidence and witness accounts agree with this. There is not one shred of evidence that shows Zimmerman commited any crime, so the prosecution and state have to make it seem that it was motivated by Zimmermans racism...which if you were to bring up any other of the 40+ times he had called the police, it was evident that he wasnt racist at all. Racism is the only thing that got this case into court, and its verdict, wether innocent or guilty, will have far reaching impact on many people.

Zimmerman, fearing for his life...shot and killed Trayvon. That is completely LEGAL!!!!!

Remove your bias, remove what you "think" and replace it with actual facts that has been presented by both the defense and the prosecution and NOTHING about what Zimmerman did was illegal, regardless of your "feelings" or "opinions"

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor

Trayvon engaged Zimmerman in a fist fight and was mounted on top of him as every ounce of evidence shows, both the prosecutions and the defenses evidence and witness accounts agree with this.

Zimmerman, fearing for his life...shot and killed Trayvon. That is completely LEGAL!!!!!

Remove your bias, remove what you "think" and replace it with actual facts that has been presented by both the defense and the prosecution and NOTHING about what Zimmerman did was illegal, regardless of your "feelings" or "opinions"
Did you even read the post you quoted?

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Trayvon engaged Zimmerman in a fist fight and was mounted on top of him as every ounce of evidence shows, both the prosecutions and the defenses evidence and witness accounts agree with this.
I don't think Lithose was espousing Zimmerman's guilt. He was commenting on the racism people exhibit even when they don't think they are.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>

I agree in a lot of ways. When I was a teenager, 16, 17, 18, etc I did a LOT of stupid shit. There were times where I had multiple felonies on me and was approached by a police officer and simply talked my way out of it. I understand that African Americans don't feel they can do that, that they will be searched/harassed/what have you no matter what, and that is an issue. However, and this isn't to blame Martin exclusively for the encounter, its not, but there is reasonable expectation that you can approach someone you don't recognize in a gated community, and ask them what they are doing there, if you're a neighborhood watch person or ANY homeowner in that neighborhood, without fear of being assaulted, and get a reasonable explanation of their presence in the area such as "Well I live over there" or "I'm visiting family over here" or "I'm passing through. If you are assaulted, regardless of whether you followed that person, or they were afraid of you for following them, whatever, doesn't remove your right to self defense if that person attacks you. If anything, that person running, and then assaulting you, is verification they were in the area for the bad purposes.

The sick fucked up thing about this is this: Martin's reaction was no different from the reaction millions of African American (And, to be completely fair, virtually any poor, criminal minded white or hispanic as well) males have had to law enforcement approaching them while doing something illegal, that is to run and try and get away. Every day this happens multiple times in cities across the country in relation to drug and prostitution and other offenses too numerous to mention. Each time, the Legal System uses it as justification for prosecuting them for a crime such as resisting arrest, escaping, etc. some of these are even felony charges.

Both Zimmerman and Martin made stupid assumptions which collided and ended in Martin's death. It doesn't mean Zimmerman commited 2nd degree murder, it doesn't mean he hunted black children down in the street in a Birth of the Nation style one man race war, it might not even mean he's guilty of manslaughter.

I guess my point is this: If Martin had simply reacted like a normal law abiding human being, aka just turned around and asked Zimmerman why he was following him, and then told him "Yo dude my dad lives right down there, I live in this neighborhood" like a normal, rational human being, nothing would have come of the encounter.

We used to call it pretending to be on the down low, and I know that's a phrase stolen from the black community. Have they forgotten that shit completely?

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Everyone I work with argues the case either on emotional points or on meaningless factoids. "He shouldn't have gotten out of the car!" etc. Hopefully the jury isn't the same way.
Were dealing with a facebook lynch mob here they don't want facts they want blood.

May as well travel back in time a 100 years and tell the lynch mob in a southern town that maybe that white women wanted to have sex with that black man and it wasn't rape.

In both cases they simply don't want to here the truth.

Difference is this modern day lynch mob has the presidential seal of approval.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I know im white and all, but if a dude was stalking me home while I was eating skittles and drinking some drink in the dark, I would hightail it out of there so fast, like a fucking ghost. I dont think I had enough balls at 17 to confront anyone. and I was a big dude, 6'3" 200lbs. Not to say I would not try to defend myself, but to start some shit? Nahh. Its not normal for any 17 yr old to do what Trey did. He showed what a badass he was and sadly he paid for it with his life.

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Difference is this modern day lynch mob has the presidential seal of approval.
However in an amazing twist of historic irony a lynch mob of exactly 100 years ago today would have seen a very progressive Democrat in the White House.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Emotional plea? Poor young lad doing nothing wrong was helplessly hunted down by a power hungry cop wannabe?

Status
Not open for further replies.