Kanye West - The Life of Pablo

Simas_sl

shitlord
For those that actually like Kanye, how you think it stacks up? I'm diggin but not sure where I'd place it. It has a lot of amazing stuff, but still feels kinda like brain storms at times almost.

Early highlights for me are Ultralight Beam, Waves, FML,...well almost everything except tracks 2-9. /edit Famous has grown on me a lot.

NYT Review:

"Pablo" doesn't have the cool rage of "Yeezus," his last left turn of an album, but it has maintained its sense of propulsion, while somehow echoing the soul-baptized sound that Mr. West made his name with, both as a producer for others and on his debut, "The College Dropout." These are styles that don't play well together, but Mr. West's synthesis is almost seamless.

Many of the highest points on "Pablo" are the disruptive moments - jarring intrusions from guests, or unexpectedly complicated song structures, or the interludes in other people's voices. All together, the symphonic effect recalls his 2010 masterpiece, "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy," the album that skyrocketed him beyond simple conversations about his pop effectiveness and instead laid the groundwork for the eccentric part of his career.

Stereogum review is up:

"Name one genius that ain't crazy." That's Kanye West on "Feedback," delivering the single most quotable line of his new album The Life Of Pablo and maybe the clearest defense of his decade-plus legacy of bullshit. Just in the past few weeks, West has pulled some deeply concerning nonsense: The Cosby tweet, the Taylor Swift line, the publicly badgering Mark Zuckerberg for a billion dollars. And perhaps more intriguingly, he's existed in a state of absolute chaos lately, working on Pablo up until the very moment of its release and then even after. For most artists, we'd be treating all this the way we treat B.o.B.'s flat-earth conspiracy theorizing: As evidence that he's completely lost it, that he's floating off in some rarified coked-out delusional-celeb space, that we'd never have to take him seriously again. But before this weekend, West had released six truly great solo albums. And he's going to keep our attention. Right now, he's seven for seven.
Premature Evaluation: Kanye West The Life Of Pablo - Stereogum

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
gonna take a wild guess, he never bothered paying taxes and the IRS audited him and now hes fucked.

Simas_sl

shitlord
I'm sure he'll be asked about it while doing press for the album. He might just be talking about a mortgage or something. It could be money he sunk into his video game. No telling. He also just tweet-asked Zuckerberg to invest $1 billion in Kanye West ideas.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Who the fuck begs for 1b via a Twitter @

I generally try to divorce my personal feels about people from the product they put out but Kanye just seems to be a genuine asshat. Luckily I don't give a shit about hip hop so avoiding his work is pretty easy and his clothing is expensive and ugly as fuck too.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Double Fine ?

Anyway, apparently his pet project Tidal has been taking money from people for the album without giving them link, grab a popcorn since people are NOT happy.

I like a few of his songs, but assuming this all isn't an act, the guy is just an insufferable douche.

Kanye West Asks "White Publications" to Stop Commenting on "Black Music" - Hollywood Reporter

Also, he is trying to release his album on Tidal only? No iTunes, Google Music, etc. Lol? The last thing anyone wants is to sign up for yet another music app. Shit is doomed to failure.

Kanye West Says Will Never Be For Sale and Only on Tidal, Sources Express Confusion | Billboard

Maybe that's why it has already been pirated 500k times?

Kanye Wests The Life of Pablo Sparks Piracy Craze - TorrentFreak

billymain

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
any time i hear him speak it just makes me cringe..or laugh as he is a source of comedy when not taken seriously. have to admit though that i do enjoy some of his stuff. definitely falls under the guilty pleasure category.. like chicken nuggets from mcdonalds. kanye west is in the same category as mcdonalds chicken nuggets.

i'll probably give it a listen.