Kayak Fishing

Mur_sl

shitlord
Kayak fishing; is it a sport, or just a damn good time?

So here in Austin, we are surrounded by some of the best Largemouth Bass fisheries in Texas, and yak fishing is pretty huge. We have several tournament trails, and a bunch of fun tourneys as well. We are also close enough to the gulf, to hit the bayous and bays, or go beyond the breakers out to the oil rigs.

Any of you cats into the Yak scene in your area? What species do you go after? What kind of Yak? Tell me your fish stories, I get psyched to hear about guys getting Northerns and Musky on a yak, or Ahi 3 miles out in Hawaii.

I just bought a Diablo Amigo, and man what a Yak! I can easily navigate in a few inches of water; this thing is the ultimate shallow water/river drifting kayak, even with a fat ass like me on it.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Just to be clear, you paddle your kayak out to oil rigs beyond the jetties and breakers in the gulf?

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
You can, but that is a helluva paddle. Most rigs are around 8 miles or more to get out to them.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
It's been awhile since I've been fishing on a yak, but I can tell you that the yak that I did yak with was a hell of a yak. I yak'ed on my yak yak yak yak yak yak yak and then yak yak yak

yak

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I have a hobie pro angler. I find it amusing that you think Austin is surrounded by some of the best bass fishing TX lol. It's not bad but seriously. I live in the hill country now not far from Austin. At best I would say the bass fishing is "OK". It's nothing like when I lived minutes from Rayburn and Toledo Bend and fork was 1-1/2 hours away plus a bunch more like Murvaul which was fork before fork became fork. I once fished a non professional tournament (used to do it a lot in college), 5 fish with a weight of right at 35lbs and I didn't finish in the top 10 of the tournament = no money.

Anyway I have peddled my pro angler out to the rigs but I did in LA which means the fist set out of Grand Isle is minutes away in a kayak.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I laughed at that too. Guadalupe largemouth bass are too prevalent around there and they are smaller than florida strain. On top of that most lakes in the area are huge recreational lakes. I just assumed he had different standards being that he fishes from a tiny boat.

Close to the gulf was questionable too, but I let it pass becauase I want to know if its real. I'm on a platform now and I've never seen a kayak out here.

What's the biggest fish you ever hooked into on your kayak? Do you use light equipment to keep from having to deal with big fish?

Borzak

Me? Now I've never gone after really big fish. Maybe 25 pound redfish. I've only fished saltwater with it a few times. If it's calm I can stand in my kayak because it's a huge kayak. I mostly got it for freshwater fishing when I lived in East Texas on all of the above mentioned lakes. Even the 2,000 acre lake minutes from town I have caught multiple 7-8 pound bass while fishing out of the kayak. My all time best was just over 10 pounds on Lake Caddo and was given a reproduction for landing it, but that was out of a regular bass boat.

There's a guy I know somewhat who fishes with a group out of Corpus. He makes the news quite often. They surf fish and kayak fish and have caught some monster fish. Last year he made all the news for catching an 800 pound tiger shark, but he caught it surf fishing and not from his kayak. Lots of times a group of them go surf fishing and one guy takes the line out with a kayak for everyone else and drops it off X amount of distance from the shore and paddles back

If I decide to keep fishing around Austin or San Antonio I'll get something smaller/lighter and not made for large lakes.

It's not the normal type kayak. It has a fish locker, tackle locker, a regular storage locker, an ice chest and a full length 6 rod holder. There's a group of guys who go out to the first set of rigs who have a forum and post videos who go out weekly. A lot of them use the same kayak, but a fair number use a regular fishing kayak. Bonus here being you peddle and can fight a fish with 2 hands and not having to worry about paddling at the same time.

hobie-kayak-Pro-angler-14-2015-dune.jpg

Borzak

I think they have gone up in price. I actually got the first one they built for taking promotional pictures when they first came out in 2008 or 2009 I can't remember.

I paid $2,200 for it. Not something you want to carry and portage a lot since it's heavy. But it's nice for bass fishing since I store 6 rods and change in a sec. Plus can peddle and cast/fight fish with both hands at the same time. I have a depth finder on mine as well. When it's calm I can stand up in it and sight fish as well.

Mur_sl

shitlord
Okay okay if we're going to get technical, the very best bass fishing is currently in Japan.

Fork is awesome, Rayburn is awesome, but I'm stoked to be in Austin, where I have a shit load of kayak friendly water to fish year around. Power plant lakes that produce all winter, rivers that produce nice fish, and more easy access lakes than any other town I can think of. I hate the hipsters, but love the fishing opportunities.

As far as Guadalupe, your honestly lucky to catch those. They are here, but not as common as you seem to think. Florida strain are the norm, with a few lunker program fish being pulled out of the area each year. (not a lake fork but /shrug) BTB is not my cup of tea, I mentioned it to get some conversation going, but, yes guys paddle to the rigs. They don't target giant groupers, but I have seen some nice loads.

Fuck there are some salty dogs here, guys need to fish more. LOL

Borzak

Personally I find fork over rated and I've fished all the lakes in East, TX a LOT. College I only had class M-T- and 1/2 day on Wed. so I fished a lot. It's good if you can fish in the week during the spawn otherwise too many people, too many out of staters that don't have a clue etc...

I would rate the smaller lakes better than fork where even a newbie can catch 5lbers all day long in the spring like Murvual, Pinkston, Nacogdoches (where I once caught a pair of 8 pounders off the same stump in back to back cast while my partner fucked with the trolling motor), then Rayburn and Toledo before Fork.

Texasfishingforum.com has an entire section on kayak fishing you might find interesting. I haven't look at it in a while. Now that I'm in the hill country I'll probably hit Falcon and Amistad next spring/summer and just fish out of my boat.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Merge this with the fishing thread to maximize fish.

Fishing

Also rename to "fishing and camping" ?

Borzak

Now you're talking my neck of the woods. At one time I thought of doing some fishing in the marsh but visibility kind of sucks in a lot of places as you're not higher than the marsh grass and you have to avoid coon asses going 60 who have been drinking all day.

Borzak

I'm super conservative when it comes to that stuff. A friend of the family got killed on Lake Maurepas when a drunk guy ran over his 14' bateau.