KazJim's visit to the USA - Seattle

kazjim

Blackwing Lair Raider
G'day all - resident Aussie here.
I'm over here in the USA for work, and thought I'd give you guys a bit of an opinion of an Aussie travelling one of your great cities.

Disclaimer: Been to the USA before - LA, NYC.

My first thought this morning coming into the city by train was 'wow - this city is fucking untidy' . . .I mean car bodies in back yards, half demolished houses, crap everywhere . . .
Stuff rusting (I believe it rains here a lot - so that's ok).

Getting off the train at Westlake and wandering for 30 mins looking for something quick and easy to eat, I walked past like . . 30 people blazing up. Not an issue for me, but FUCKING WEIRD to see it out in the open - I come from a third-world country where we can be put to death for describing a joint.

I'm staying in the Queen Anne part of town (No my choice - the guy I'travelling with booked it . . ) and I gotta say . . . . . a little terrified. It feels like I"m gonna get stabbed for my 3-year old iPhone and fresh socks.
Went to a mini-mart and felt like a criminal for asking for beer. On the plus size 25Oz Beers $2.20 (750ml?) ... Fuck me, that doesn't even get you a sniff of beer at home . . . .

Woo - space needle - fuck yeah.
RkNJ2Fh.jpg

My first real experience with Washintonian food however . . . wow.... Ate at a place called Ten on Mercer. Fantastic food, great service and FUCKING CHEAP ... I mean $35 with tip. You can't get a starter in my backwoods of a country for that . . hell, 4 burgers at McDonalds will run you that, easy.

So, give me your wisdom FOH, give me some advice on the city that is Seattle .. I'm here until Friday 24th (Flying visit...)

Day one score 5/10 (extra points added for huge and cheap beer and amazing garlic chicken thing)

• 1Jew
Reactions: 1 user

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Go south to Miami, Oregon and visit Tyen?

• 1Jew
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tenjikuronin

There's not too much in Queen Anne --

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Free Visitor Center)
EMP Museum (expensive)
Seattle Center (Not much there)
Komo Plaza

Depending on how far you want to travel outside of Seattle, I can give you more suggestions
81.jpg
7.jpg
f7a.jpg
makhdoom.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Jew

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Pikes Place market of course, its iconic. Hendrix museum. Whenever I'm up there I take the ferry to Bainbridge and have a nice hike and lunch in town, its beautiful on the island.

• 1Jew

trex

Queen Bee
Actually lol'd at "fucking untidy!"

I'm worried what beer you bought that is $2.20 for 25oz...

I love the public library, it's like the coolest. You have to stay in the center of DT there, everywhere else is stupid IMO.

Are you an athlete? When I go there and see people jogging (and some times even running...omg wtf) up and down those hills I am amazed. It seems impossible. It's on my bucket list to be one of those joggers some day.

Oh! And go to sizzle pie and tell Fifey Fifey how it's the most amazing slice you've ever had!

• 1Jew

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
He probably bought a 25pz Budweiser since they add the extra ounce for freedom.

I have pretty limited experience in Seattle but if you like metal, ypu should check out the metal store on capital hill, it's next to the skate shop 35 north and is filled with tons of vinyls from great bands.

• 1Jew

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
If you like wood, you should check out the wood store.

• 2Worf
  • 1Picard
  • 1Jew
Reactions: 4 users
The people in Seattle are generally more polite and nice than say the other urban areas in the US.

Last time I was there I stayed with friends in Madrona on the westside. Really beautiful. If you get to travel outside of the area, snoqualmie Falls is a nice place to visit.

Screen Shot 2016-09-20 at 1.04.26 PM.jpg

• 1Jew
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

kazjim

Blackwing Lair Raider
Finally got home to Sydney after some fucked up flights trying to leave LAX . . .
Anyway, my views on Seattle have changed a bit . .
Seattle is the USA version of Melbourne.

Great food, friendly people, liberal views on many things, and an overall 'relaxed' feel.

There are some shithole parts (Queen Anne I'm looking at you . . .), but there are also some great parts (the Boeing factory is kinda cool)

TL:DR
Fuck walking on the near-vertical streets.
Fuck cheap-arse apartments in Queen Anne
Fuck the Airport
Fuck the Sea-Tac train

Yay for Cheap / Legal Pot
Yay for great food
Yay for great beer (Microbreweries - Rolling rock still sucks balls)
Yay for Uber

All in all, glad I visited, but also good to be home.

• 2Like
  • 1Jew
Reactions: 2 users