Kendrick Lamar

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Full disclosure: I am not a hip hop head. I don't hate it, its just not what I typically are drawn to. When I am, its usually hip hop like De La Soul, Digable Planets, Tribe, etc.

That said, heard Kendrick Lamar for the first time today (The Heart Pt 5.) and was seriously impressed. Where is at in regards to how modern hip fans are concerned? I ask because I do NOT like mumble rap or a lot of what you hear lately, but this was something else and what I'd love to hear more of.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Kendrick is pretty much considered the best rapper out right now. DAMN. was an excellent album. So far his new album Mr Morale hasnt grabbed me yet but its got some good things about it.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Check out some articles on Vice (yeah, but this is from 5 - 7 years ago if not more) by Ryan Bassil. They break down Kendrick's earlier albums and tell you the story the connects the songs. And things like DAMN being told in reverse. They were really cool when I was really in to Kendrick back then. Only found a link to one but maybe you can branch off from there.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Full disclosure: I am not a hip hop head. I don't hate it, its just not what I typically are drawn to. When I am, its usually hip hop like De La Soul, Digable Planets, Tribe, etc.

That said, heard Kendrick Lamar for the first time today (The Heart Pt 5.) and was seriously impressed. Where is at in regards to how modern hip fans are concerned? I ask because I do NOT like mumble rap or a lot of what you hear lately, but this was something else and what I'd love to hear more of.
Kendrick is without a doubt the best "active"(still making albums, not just doing features, etc.)rapper in the game right now, at least lyrically. And the only active rapper who can come close to "spittin'" like he does, is probably Joyner Lucas. He's just on a completely different level - "good kid, m.A.A.d city" is probably the greatest rap album of the past decade.

That said, Mr. Morale and The Big Steppers just isn't that great of an album. I still need to do a couple repeat listens (some albums you really don't appreciate until a couple listens through), but I'm through 2 so far and it still just hasn't grabbed me. There are some legit bangers on the album (N95 and Rich Spirit come to mind) and some songs are genius lyrically (Father Time, for instance - and We Cry Together sounds like almost every fight I had with various exes), but as good as Kendrick is lyrically, he can't structure a decent beat around his lyrics to save his life. Sometimes he gets it right, but so many times it's distracting as hell when listening to his music.