Keyboard and Mouse on a PS4

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Anyone have any experience with this? I've been trying to look into it, but I suppose since it seems kind of frowned on, I'm finding jack all on reviews. It seems like the Xim4 and the Titan One are the most popular devices to achieve this?

Anyone have any first hand experience with anything?

Had a friend give me Destiny, which looks fun, but I fucking loathe FPS on a controller, so, looking for options.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
My brother bought the Xim4 and said it works well.

However you should just spend a few hours to learn how to move your thumbs instead of spending $130+ to give yourself an unfair advantage in a game that already has very generous aim assisting.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Can't remember who but someone in the destiny thread was using the xim I believe. Might try asking there

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
My brother bought the Xim4 and said it works well.

However you should just spend a few hours to learn how to move your thumbs instead of spending $130+ to give yourself an unfair advantage in a game that already has very generous aim assisting.
Well, since I already have several thousand hours in learning how to shoot people in the face with a mouse, it seems redundant to learn a new tool when not necessary. Now, I haven't really paid any attention to Destiny, so I'm not sure if I'm forced to PvP or something, in which case, I understand your point. If however, I will just be shooting virtual bullets at virtual aliens, I'd prefer not to feel like a god damn retard while doing it. I've got a few hundred hours onto ps style controllers, and while I can make my way through Dark Souls, whenever I try to aim in a FPS style game, I end up firing into the air, to the left, to the right, etc. (I was lucky to shoot one orc in Shadows of Mordor, and I have 20 seconds to hit an enemy who was frozen, its very frustrating.) I don't know why I'm not able to get this skill down, maybe I'm just too old to learn new tricks, I don't know, I just know its not fun.

Friends have been asking me to play this game for months, I kept saying I would pick it up when it came to PC. Since I've now been given a free copy, it seems worth looking into.

As for the cost, convenience costs money. I don't mind paying $130 not to have hours of frustration. /shrug

I'll ask in the Destiny thread I suppose, although thats two for Xim it seems.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Who cares if it's frowned upon? If you want to do it, do it. I mean, unless you really care what some 12-year-old child thinks of your skillz.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have a xim 4 I use occasionally. It works great and really works like a standard mouse and keyboard.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah they're pretty shitty to use, but then again I'm not 12 and don't really care what other people use.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have a xim 4 I use occasionally. It works great and really works like a standard mouse and keyboard.
Same. Used mine for Warframe, Destiny, Plants vs Zombies and COD on the PS4. Works fine. If the disposable income is of no matter to you I would say get one.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I encourage everyone who plays FPS on consoles to get one. The larger the market is for the xim the more likely console makers are to switch to the superior periphial.

Plus I've had to endure reading far arguments for the benefits of gamepads in FPS. The more people there are getting educated by mouse-users the less likely I am to read another one.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Should just be standard to use kb/mouse, but I don't care nearly enough about "being good" to spend 140 dollars to play shitty console FPS games better.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, I really regret buying the deluxe edition. I haven't even bothered playing the first DLC once.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I encourage everyone who plays FPS on consoles to get one. The larger the market is for the xim the more likely console makers are to switch to the superior periphial.

Plus I've had to endure reading far arguments for the benefits of gamepads in FPS. The more people there are getting educated by mouse-users the less likely I am to read another one.
They never will as a default, and they already support KBM as a system. The games themselves have to support them, but then only the neckbeards who would use KBM on a console would end up playing the game.

I always encourage everyone who plays FPS on consoles to just L2P. This isn't fucking neurosurgery or anything.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The funny thing is most of the 12 year-olds that grew up using controllers are probably still owning the old guys using the xims

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
^^^^ Nahh, there is a definite advantage to KB/Mouse. You can tell the difference just by playing a game like BF4 or CoD on the PC and then playing it with the xim on the console. I usually get destroyed on the PC side (although I do OK) but I definitely do better on the PS4 with the mouse and KB. But thats not to take away from the kids that are born with controller in hand. Its not that much of a difference, but there is one.

Another Xim4 dude here. Used it for Destiny and BF series, works sweet absolutely no regrets buying one. It has all the settings to modify to your liking, change keyboard bindings, mouse buttons, etc.... Has presets for like 3-4 games which you can change on the fly by pressing keyboard shortcuts you set up. It has integration with the smart phone where you download (to the smartphone app) and upload (to the xim4) the different game profiles so you do need a smartphone with Bluetooth at the least.

This is more than just a keyboard and mouse integration tool. They use some smart tech/engine to basically use the KB/Mouse at 1:1 like PC gaming without shit like auto aim assist and all that other crap. Every game is different this is why you have to use different game profiles for it to work right.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I always encourage everyone who plays FPS on consoles to just L2P. This isn't fucking neurosurgery or anything.
To use xim4 is to l2p. Those salty at being beaten by a superior periphial need to l2p.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
To use xim4 is to l2p. Those salty at being beaten by a superior periphial ned to l2p.
Yeah, thats the issue. I'm not buying it because I want to "pwn some noobs" with cheats. It's because years of being able to run down a FPS hallway, jump out a window, spin in midair and kill the guy chasing me, spin back around and kill the guy below me, land and keep running with no break has become the norm. When you hand me a console controller, and that, without a shadow of a doubt, becomes an impossible feat, I feel like I'm losing not because of my skill, but because I'm being artificially handicapped by a shitty controller. It's like if my mouse died while gaming, and I just decided to use the arrow keys to more from now on and never replaced the mouse. It's asinine when I can just go buy a new mouse.

As for the cost, I just went camping last weekend, in preparation I bought a $250 tend, a $150 mattress, plus there was a $75 site fee for the 5 days. I also stopped at a meadery and picked up 3 $40 bottles of mead as a treat for the camp one night. So yeah, I figure if I have $140 to spend on booze for a special occasion, I can afford to spend it on a gaming peripheral as well. It's not something I would have even considered a few years ago, but I'm managing my money well now, and it's rare I blow it on trivial stuff, but when I want to, I can.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I do get beaten using my XIM4 but you can tell I am being matched up against a higher quality opponent once I switched over to KB/M and destroyed a few games in the games I play. Some games (Warframe) allow you the full use of the turning spectrum which makes maxing out the sensitivity actually abad thing.In Destiny the pistol was my favorite weapon because head shots with a KB/M are easy to aim for. I tried it with the PS4 DS controller but I had to switch to AR or Shotgun because I just was able to kill as efficiently.

Onoes you still won't be able to spin instantly in midair, kill, then turn around and kill again (exceppt in games like Warframe which had no limits on turning speed last I checked) but you will be able to turn faster and/or more accurately. The biggest thing that sucks is games which require use of the touchpad. I'm not sure if XIM4 has a fix for getting around that yet but last I checked it did cause problems if you had to use the touchpad.