KVM Switches

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I figured this deserved its own thread because of the increased amount of people working from home.

Work gave me a laptop and told me to WFH. I'm using my peripherals because they're better and I don't have the desk space nor motivation to deal with two discrete sets monitors, keyboards, and mice. Is a KVM switch the best solution here? If so, what brands/models would people recommend?

Is there any gaming performance issues with using a KVM switch? I'm thinking something like input lag.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I figured this deserved its own thread because of the increased amount of people working from home.

Work gave me a laptop and told me to WFH. I'm using my peripherals because they're better and I don't have the desk space nor motivation to deal with two discrete sets monitors, keyboards, and mice. Is a KVM switch the best solution here? If so, what brands/models would people recommend?

Is there any gaming performance issues with using a KVM switch? I'm thinking something like input lag.

Just get your laptop on the network with no peripherals attached, then RDP to it from your desktop computer. Voila.. If you need true console access, then install VNC on the laptop assuming you have admin rights.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Just get your laptop on the network with no peripherals attached, then RDP to it from your desktop computer. Voila.. If you need true console access, then install VNC on the laptop assuming you have admin rights.
No can do. I need to VPN into my company's network to do most of my work, which takes the laptop off my local network. An ssh tunnel fixes that problem but IT itching real bad to remove that.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
No can do. I need to VPN into my company's network to do most of my work, which takes the laptop off my local network. An ssh tunnel fixes that problem but IT itching real bad to remove that.

The fuckers lock down no split tunneling on your VPN? I didn’t think anybody still does that because routing all your internet traffic over VPN is a dog.
If that’s really the case, then either a mechanical KVM or buying and extra mouse/keyboard along with maybe a chrome cast might be a good bet.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
The fuckers lock down no split tunneling on your VPN? I didn’t think anybody still does that because routing all your internet traffic over VPN is a dog.
If that’s really the case, then either a mechanical KVM or buying and extra mouse/keyboard along with maybe a chrome cast might be a good bet.
They see tunneling as a security risk. We have a larger issue where half the company works on government contracts that falls under DFARS. IT has been trying to keep the other half secured away the CUI stuff. According to IT, the ssh tunnel doesn't fit in this scheme. I don't know the specifics well enough to call bullshit or not.

What exactly is split tunneling? First I've heard that mentioned and would like to ask IT about it with a bit more information.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
They see tunneling as a security risk. We have a larger issue where half the company works on government contracts that falls under DFARS. IT has been trying to keep the other half secured away the CUI stuff. According to IT, the ssh tunnel doesn't fit in this scheme. I don't know the specifics well enough to call bullshit or not.

What exactly is split tunneling? First I've heard that mentioned and would like to ask IT about it with a bit more information.
Split tunneling is a vpn setting that basically determines what gets sent over VPN, and what is sent out locally. If it’s turned off ALL your traffic is shuttled over VPN and you can’t reach anything on your local network. With split tunneling turned on, only traffic destined for the corporate network is sent across VPN, so general internet traffic and local network traffic is sent out over your local connection. Usually the only reason why IT will turn split tunneling off is when they want to enforce browning restrictions via a remote proxy.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I bought a JideTech 4 port hdmi kvm when I started working from home some a while back. It is a pain in the ass in that it's pretty dumb, it just passes signal, and it doesn't pass 120 HZ, only 60, which makes initial config something of a pita. But once done it basically just works. I had to get this one because I was looking for something with at least 3 ports (so I can hook up a rpi to it as well if needed or whatever) and one of my monitors HAD to be hdmi. My setup is two monitors, one left and one center, with the work laptop on the right side. The KVM switches the middle monitor between the two. The only gaming issues I've had are the previously mentioned refresh rate thing and (back when I was still playing wow classic) getting the client to go on the right damn monitor.

Sometimes the transfer isn't seamless, which leads to USB devices/monitors not syncing up. Just have to hit the button again, and it isn't often. You can share USB resources using this KVM too, but I haven't had to use that so idk. The one I got was super cheap overall, like 60 bucks, but has done the job.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Split tunneling is a vpn setting that basically determines what gets sent over VPN, and what is sent out locally. If it’s turned off ALL your traffic is shuttled over VPN and you can’t reach anything on your local network. With split tunneling turned on, only traffic destined for the corporate network is sent across VPN, so general internet traffic and local network traffic is sent out over your local connection. Usually the only reason why IT will turn split tunneling off is when they want to enforce browning restrictions via a remote proxy.
Yep, IT director confirmed that split tunneling is forbidden by DFARS.

Looks like some kind of switch is required. I might just hookup the monitors to both inputs directly as that seems like it would be the most problematic.

Any reason not to get a USB 3.0 switch at this point? Assume a fair amount of peripherals are going to stay USB 2.0.

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
pretty much all of the kvm switches on amazon are showing a 1 month shipping delay.

my current hack atm is to use walmart shipping

they're doing free shipping and their turn around time is less than a week

order now

btw, you can't get most of these "in store" they're 3rd party, so you have to have em shipped

i don't need a kvm switch, just giving a heads up (this also applies to other items, but i'm sure ppl will be doing the same and overload walmart)

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
Add Hyper-V and give your laptop a second virtual network adapter for your lan. That should work for Remote Desktop. Or use Hyper-V / VMWare on your PC and clone the laptop to a VM. You’ll have to use the console program of the hypervisor to access the VM.

Terial

Trakanon Raider
bringing this thread back up cause now i need help.
New job: work sent me a laptop that has: 1 HDMI
also has 2 USB type C.
I have a monitor at home that is using DP and 144hz with G-sync

my objective is to have 2 monitors (work will send me another monitor)

Laptop to KVM to new monitor (HDMI to HDMI)
Gaming PC to KVM to existing monitor (DP to DP)

I can't find a DP KVM that will support 144Hz
well, i did, but i'd have to use an HDMI to DP cable for the laptop (sounds good, however if you do that, the KVM does not see it, it requires a DP to DP only, no adapters)

I'm up for any and all new suggestions. Work said "just tell us what you need, within reason"

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
also has 2 USB type C.

well, i did, but i'd have to use an HDMI to DP cable for the laptop (sounds good, however if you do that, the KVM does not see it, it requires a DP to DP only, no adapters)

I'm up for any and all new suggestions. Work said "just tell us what you need, within reason"
don't know of a kvm, just saying that for me to get my wifes dell w/ only a hdmi and vga w/ dual monitors i had to get a usb-c to hdmi to make dual 27in display properly., maybe you can go that route usbc to hdmi or dp

Terial

Trakanon Raider
don't know of a kvm, just saying that for me to get my wifes dell w/ only a hdmi and vga w/ dual monitors i had to get a usb-c to hdmi to make dual 27in display properly., maybe you can go that route usbc to hdmi or dp
yea, i'm looking into USB C to HDMI now. and the work can get me another monitor. Then i can use laptop with 2 outputs (HDMI to current monitor, just switch inputs) and the 2nd will be USB-C to a new HDMI monitor. Then laptop just just stay closed.
That leaved me with only wanting to use 1 keyboard and mouse.
KVM's allow sharing of the Key/Mouse with USB 2 type B
I hope i can use one of those without the HDMI port, because all other keyboard / mouse switches require 4 cables instead of 2 (keyboard and mouse into inputs) then 4 usb outs, 2 to laptop and 2 to PC)

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I have too many fucking monitors now that I brought my workstation home. 2x 24in 1440p lenovo and my 2x 32" 1080p dells. So what I did is set up one of my work monitors on the side of my desk where I do all my meetings and email and chats and all that, but I put in a HDMI switch for my main 32" so when Im working that serves as my main work monitor I do my CAD on and still have the second work 24" on the side for the emails and shit like that. My second 32" becomes my main gaming PC monitor which I put on youtube or twitch as background noise when im working...

I actually prefer the 32" 1080p monitor to the 24"1440p one. Maybe im getting old and my eyes are not that good anymore but I prefer to do cad on the 32" @1080p. On the 1440p it would not be that bad if the monitor was larger but when Im working on areas I have to zoom in a lot closer it seems all the time in the 1440p. I remember they took a survey when they bought these latest lenovo xenon workstations if we wanted 2x 1080 32" or 2x 24" 1440. I voted for the 32" but alas, the 24" won out.

20210228_171110.jpg

Mick

<Gold Donor>
also has 2 USB type C.

This may not be a solution for you, but this is what I run:
Work laptop is hooked up to a docking station which also has a external monitor hooked up to it. This gives me two monitors (external and laptop) both at 1080p for work.
My home PC has two monitors. One 1440p @ 144hz and one at 1080p.

To share my mouse and keyboard between the two I use a software solution from Microsoft.

Mouse without Borders is a product that makes you the captain of your computer fleet by allowing you to control up to four computers from a single mouse and keyboard. This means that with Mouse without Borders you can copy text or drag and drop files across computers.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user