Lamplighters League (1930's Xcom) by HBS, devs of Battletech and Shadowrun

spronk

FPS noob
not many reviewers
1696343423199.png

its out on gamepass, i probably will check it out - someone on twitter said its a Indiana Jones/Mummy style tactics game which sounds awesome

interesting visual style

apps.40165.13989848767153971.1711950b-dde1-479b-83ba-f78f26bdf98f.5473151f-cb4a-481c-9062-4d1027622fbd

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Streamers were playing it last week and seemed to be enjoying it, but it was sponsored time so who knows.

Looking forward to messing with it via Game Pass at some point between games, have a lot to play atm.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Definitely something I'll check out when it's $10. HBS did a solid job with the Shadowrun games, but there's no way they were $50 games, especially the first 2.

• 1Like

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Kirun Kirun LOL my immediate thought was "this looks like my kind of game but $50, WTF"

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Kirun Kirun LOL my immediate thought was "this looks like my kind of game but $50, WTF"
Yup. HBS does solid work, but they just don't make $50 games by any stretch. I'd probably even consider this at $20, but no fucking shot at $50.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yup. HBS does solid work, but they just don't make $50 games by any stretch. I'd probably even consider this at $20, but no fucking shot at $50.
I reaaaaaally want to white knight HBS here, but fuck those greedy faggots for the way they priced Battletech DLC.

• 1Truth!

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Seriously. How poor are these peasants that they can't afford fucking Gamepass?
i think it's less about being too poor to afford gamepass, and more about too many streaming/gaming services. it is with me at least. but i'll usually pick up gamepass for a couple months every year/every other year to catch up on whatever games i haven't played yet.

but yeah, let's say someone who works full time and has an active social life might only have a few hours a week for gaming, it doesn't really make sense to pay subs for a bunch of services. also with gamepass/psplus, you don't own the games. if you stop paying your sub, you lose access to the games. if your in a situation where you always have gamepass, then it really doesn't matter, but for someone like me, who only subs every once in a while, it's kind of irritating not being to just buy the game and play it whenever you want.

that being said, the counterargument of it only being like $10 a month to play a bunch of games that you'll never replay again is quite the deal

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Gamepass was something I dropped just because I felt like I rarely ever used it. Same reason I dropped Netflix, D+, etc.

It also felt a lot like "dailies" to me, in that there's a constant nagging rush to finish a game ASAP, because you don't own said game and want to complete it before it's dropped from the platform(same FOMO mechanism that dailies prey on).

For the budget, $5-10 dollar games? Sure, it's great for just the 30-60m session timewaster type shit. But I just hated it for AAA releases or "old" AAA releases. I'd rather just buy the games instead of renting them.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
because you don't own said game and want to complete it before it's dropped from the platform
Other than GTA V (because Take-Two is asshole) pretty much everything third party on Game Pass stays for a year at least. First/Second party games are there forever.

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Bought on Steam so more chance of Battletech or Shadowrun in the future.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
So everything is going along great with the missions and the doomsday clock etc and then around Week 16 or so everything goes haywire. Now I'm routinely facing swarms of 13 mobs in a single encounter each of which hits like a mack truck and most are immune to real-time takedowns.

I played one scenario 6 times only to fail the optional objective due to pure attrition. This also means that you are effectively stuck using the most powerful agents because trying to swap in a defensive or specialized agent is a fast track to painsville.

That having been said, it's generally a fun title...just very punishing all of a sudden.

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Welp, this flopped pretty hard which sucks because I like the developer. Paradox already declared it a tax write off.

It's only got 132 Steam reviews a week after release so guess its no surprise. :confused:

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Welp, this flopped pretty hard which sucks because I like the developer. Paradox already declared it a tax write off.

It's only got 132 Steam reviews a week after release so guess its no surprise. :confused:

I never even heard of it until after it came out on Game Pass and I own all the other HBS games. Sounds like Paradox dropped the ball when it came to marketing.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard

LOL. 690 peak players. Ouch. Day 0 DLC from the devs who brought us that shit Battletech game and its pile of shitty, overpriced DLC. I guess people saw these idiots coming this time and noped out.