Laptop Computers

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
So what is the board's stance on the MacBook Pro?
I have a retina 15" and love it. The screen quality is what really sells it, but you also get the best trackpad in the history of mankind. I use a Windows desktop, but it's nothing but Apple laptops for me.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I use the 15" at work and love it, that said, I would never pay what they want for them out of my own pocket.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Are the Lenovo Y50s getting a bit too old now? Could go onto Lenovo outlet website and get one there for less than that. Probably best bang for your buck but I feel like they're due for updates soon.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Depends on how high you want the graphics to be. I gamed on my work laptop for quite some time but that was just WoW(Hp Envy).

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
The specs are ok on the Y50s but the highest card I see in one, at that price anyway, is the 860m which is decent by laptop standards but dated by desktop ones.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
My employer just sent me a 13" macbook air and I have pretty much instantly fallen in love with it. Makes me not want to touch my 15" 2011 mbp anymore. I wont be doing any gaming on it but for work I'm having a hard time thinking of something that'd be any better.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
My old lenovo x60 has been dying a slow death for 10 years now. Was considering the apple buttplug experience. The 2015 13' Air 128/8 is $1400, 2015 13' pro 128/8 is $1650. Strong dollar/Euro makes an already overpriced lappy ridicuously expensive here.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I really like the HP Spectre that I played with in stores, and it's quite a bit cheaper than that. Was going to get one of those for my wife but she stopped doing what she was doing to justify it, so we're thinking gaming laptop instead now that she can use occasionally.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Since id never play anything beyond an MMO, HS, or LoL on a laptop i cant find reason to justify spending more than $700 on a laptop. The Spectre is good but i didnt see a decent one with dedicated graphics back when i was looking.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Thoughts on the new Alienware graphics amplifier that can work with their laptops? Anyone actually own one or seen it below 200? Seems cool but the price just is too high when you have to get a separate gtx card too - if they sold it as combos with an nvidia card with some kind of discount , it would be more palatable

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Looking for a more portable solution than the hunk of a gaming laptop I currently have now. It's great , but it's a desktop replacement for sure. 17 inch screen, 1080p, with switchable graphics, etc etc.

So the only thing I'm really looking for is 1080p screen, and great battery life. I assume most of plenty of USB ports, and HDMI out, so that's not a concern.

Thanks everyone for suggestions!

Kais

<Gold Donor>
I'm in need of something for video editing on site. Preferably something that's also durable, that could take being in a trucks cab mount frequently.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Looking at laptops again. What's everyone's opinion on QHD+ on a 13'? (Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro). I seem to recall something about it scaling bad compared to FHD?

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I dont really dabble into laptops much bc they turn into netflix screens at night unless i use it at work. However whats up w/ that screen resolution on that intel 4000?

Heian

Molten Core Raider
I really love my Asus G751JY Laptop. 24 gig of ram, geforce 980 with 4 gig on it. New version does G Sync and the older version should get G sync support since they all have IPS screen. There is currently a pretty big forum uproar on the official Asus forum since the laptop should be able to have g sync. It's working on it via unofficial driver but Asus and Nvidia are locking up the current user base to sell the same laptop with GSync edition...

I'm in no rush to get it but I'm pretty confident they will give us official support.

The laptop is pretty good for games and as a character artist for a game developer it does a great job with the few software I use personally. It's about the same power as the desktop computer I use at work. I also got the big Asus ROG transport back pack with it.

I'm super happy with it.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
so my laptop finally arrived at home (Maryland) and my wife did a boot test to make sure everything loaded correctly and then sent it to me in the desert...after 17 days it appears to have been "lost" in shipping. i have a tracking update saying it left the US on the 5th, all other mail (things from Amazon) and care packages tend to arrive in 7-9 days. Due to it being an APO address i cant file for the insurance for 45 days and it could be 180 days until they issue a refund.

Really hoping this $2200 laptop shows up and was just delayed somewhere because i sincerely doubt the USPS will be very easy to deal with.
Holy shit, about a week ago this laptop arrived back at my original place of residence. so that makes 11ish months it was floating around between Maryland and the Middle east. Really surprised it wasn't just swiped.