Laptop Computers

Haus

I am Big Balls!
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
21,883
90,973
Linux seems really made for thinkpads. They seem to be super popular. I can't really do craptops. I've got a side project to build my own portable, but the need/use isn't really there, so I put it off.
I've started looking at the Frameworks....


Seems to be the most DIY friendly laptop. Including a full on "Bring your own OS, storage, memory, whatever" model. Drawback, the build out I want buying the drive, memory from them will be around $2600. And won't ship for 6 months.

Right now I'm working off my backup which is a 10 year old Dell XSP with 8G of ram. I can survive on this, but it is definitely showing it's age.
 
Last edited:

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
6,466
6,465
Ram is so crazy high right now. Some friends were wanting to make a dune server, and 2 of us have fairly decent server boards with dual xeons and tons of ram banks. I only have 32 in mine, but a friend's is full loaded with 16g sticks to 192 jigglybytes (or something like that).

We were going to try to swap around because his cpus are the 16 thread right before avx2 and mine are the ones right after, but the boards aren't compatible. My ram is ddr4 and his is ddr3. We looked at some ddr4 and it is just :emoji_eyes:
 
  • 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Izo

Tranny Chaser
24,670
44,161
14yo daughter wanted Neo, FML they're up 100 dollars since launch bc ram and shit. Ofcourse she wanted the one with a fingerprint reader. Sheeeet. Almost better to buy an air entry. FML.
 

Kajiimagi

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
6,282
10,975
14yo daughter wanted Neo, FML they're up 100 dollars since launch bc ram and shit. Ofcourse she wanted the one with a fingerprint reader. Sheeeet. Almost better to buy an air entry. FML.
Know what I did last weekend? Whatever the fuck I wanted cuz I don't have kids.
 

gak

<Gold Donor>
2,812
14,444
14yo daughter wanted Neo, FML they're up 100 dollars since launch bc ram and shit. Ofcourse she wanted the one with a fingerprint reader.
I think I saw her at the store pointing out which one she wanted.

iz.jpg
 
  • 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Haus

I am Big Balls!
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
21,883
90,973
OK... New gig I'm in.... and I'm once again doing trips to meetings with customers for the first time in a long time.

This involves me spending an inordinate amount of time on the road, doing meetings from rest stops while I'm driving, airport gate seats, hotel rooms, etc..

I had not realized how much I currently rely on multiple monitors for my meeting flows. Now I have main screen which I'm usually sharing, and a side screen with Slack going to co workers for "in call commentary" and the zoom window to see if people have their camera on or i've put them to sleep....

Suddenly back on a Macbook single screen. First trip was brutal with the meetings I had to do around my on site in person meeting. Then this this sub $200 beauty graced me world...

1791342709521.png


Now my only whine is that I've gotten spoiled to better than 1080P resolution, but I can live with that..... Well, that and this Macbook (I still hate macs, but the company forced the matter) could use a more "stout" laptop hinge.