Laptop Computers

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
From the tiny bit that i glanced over on notebookreview forums, the y40/50 is not much of an upgrade. I think it might make good sense to wait until those new models are out and and then purchase the current models. Or pay a bit more and get a Sager.
Yea I figured even if the 40/50 isn't much of an upgrade the price of the 510 should drop. I'll look at Sager too as I haven't yet.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Just ordered a

ASUS G750JZ 17.3" Full HD
GeForce GTX880M 4GB,Core i7-4700HQ,16GB RAM,256GB SDD,1.5TB HDD,DVD?RW,Win 8.1

Anyone have any experience with these? Do have 14 days to regret the purchase if it isn't any good. There was one version that was slightly more expensive with a 500gb SSD (2x 256gb in Raid) and a blu-ray drive as the difference. The more expensive version also had anti-reflex on the screen, but the one I got didn't have that listed. Reason I didn't get the more expensive one was that it wasn't available for a month+ and my old laptop is very close to dying, and didn't want to be without one.

Strange thing about it is that every review I tried to find about this mentions 32gb ram, but that version (even though it is called G750JZ here too) isn't available in Norway it seems. But figure 16gb is enough.

Only real negative I found about this was the screen isn't too good (apparently still the same one from older models), but I will mainly (whenever I am home) run it with my TV as the monitor by HDMI. I assume most newer computers have a 1:1 pixel ratio when using TVs. My old laptop has it, but it required searching a bit to find one that could do it flawlessly without too much mucking about with scaling options. I didn't even think about that now. Anyone have any experience with hooking these up to a TV? 55 and 60" LG LED TVs.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Can anyone find an official full review on the razer blade 2014? All I am seeing are the initial first look type articles from back in March. I am curious to see how the laptop holds up to real use before I splurge - I suspect overheating May become an issue

hats

Molten Core Raider
Just ordered a

ASUS G750JZ 17.3" Full HD
GeForce GTX880M 4GB,Core i7-4700HQ,16GB RAM,256GB SDD,1.5TB HDD,DVD?RW,Win 8.1
Would be happy to hear your review on here when you get it. Looks like a pretty good purchase to me as long as it comes with all the screws in.

Scaffa_sl

shitlord
"It's heavy and runs really hot. Why did I buy a gaming laptop
frown.png
"

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Would be happy to hear your review on here when you get it. Looks like a pretty good purchase to me as long as it comes with all the screws in.
Small update and tiny review

- Very little bloatware.
- Boots in around 3-4 seconds
- 256gb hd is from 2 128gb in RAID mode (Operating system and initial stuff eats 54 gigs on one of them)
- Has 2 graphics cards, where for some reason the 880GTX isn't the standard. Forced the 880 to run with everything, and things became much better (panicked first time I opened a game to only slightly better performance than my old computer).

- Only benchmarks I have run so far (All installed on SSD)
---- Thief (all things maxed, shadows one step below max) at 1920*1080 averaged around 42ish fps
---- Metro Last Light (all things maxed, tesselation one step below max) at 1920*1080 averaged at around 27ish fps.
------- Should note that only my last pc, at 720 resolution with medium ran it around 20.

Wildstar at max settings 1920*1080 is above 60ish fps most of the time (other than the crazy hitches from time to time for no reason)

Elder Scrolls Online at max settings 1920*1080 is anywhere from 30 to 60++ fps. 60 fps in a city with lots of people, then down to 30 while I was looking down at the ground cutting a log. If I intended to play it more, I would probably bump down the settings a bit, to get it more fluid. Not sure what brings it down as the frame drops seemed random at times.

All in all, it is fast and quiet (can hear the fans going off a little bit under load, but completely silent when they are not running at max). It defaults games to ultra settings and seem to handle it well (think you need SLI Titans to handle Metro at max). Doesn't get too hot due to the 2 fans blowing out from the back. No more melting your left fingers off while trying to use it.

It is large and heavy though, so not the best laptop to carry around everywhere. For a stationary laptop with occational travel though, it works great. I have it hooked up to a TV with HDMI and rarely have the need to move it.

Downside so far, Windows 8.1 sucks (had win 7 until now). I don't want apps. Also a memory leak in 8.1 running fullscreen in some games. Bound by Flame for instance crashes if played in fullscreen after a while, but runs flawlessly in windowed mode. Once exited the memory is instantly relocated back. Quite a few threads about it on the MS forums, so hope this will be fixed.

Happy with it so far, and been able to take whatever I have thrown at it (except Metro at max). Might be worth it to bump up one item number higher than mine for the larger SSD and such (that I mentioned in the original post). 128 fill up fast when you install 20+gig games on it.

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
Funny, I was only checking this thread to see if anyone had a review of that laptop; I've been drooling over it on Amazon for days. I think I'd go for the 24gb ram version - has same size SSD, but I was under the impression that it had Blu Ray and a nicer screen.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Any deals around for budget laptops for email, facebook, web, and MS Office? Will be used by a student? Under $400.

Looked over Lenovo and Toshiba direct, but for that budget might be best to just hit up Best Buy or Fry's Electronics.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I use my Chromebook for school and it has more or less become my main computer aside from gaming. Which I rarely do with school anyway. I got the Acer C720 for 200 bucks and it is awesome.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I use my Chromebook for school and it has more or less become my main computer aside from gaming. Which I rarely do with school anyway. I got the Acer C720 for 200 bucks and it is awesome.
Did you get rid of Ubuntu and go back to chrome?

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
Thinking of selling my Dell Inspiron 17R, 17", i7, 16GB, 1TB for a Macbook Pro of same value (~$800) with lesser specs, but hopefully runs cooler, quieter and lasts longer. Opinions?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Did you get rid of Ubuntu and go back to chrome?
No, still use it, everyone at school makes fun of me for being a linux scrub and says I should switch to mint or debian, but I think they are just linux elitists and I still have a lot to learn before I go defining a preferred distro.

But I only really use the linux install for compiling, viewing .pdfs (the chrome os can sometimes be really finnicky with them), or minor image editing with gimp. Just about everything else can be done in chrome os.

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
Anyone looking for a very cheap mid-range gaming laptop should check out the Asus N56DP-DH11 15.6-Inch on Amazon for $600 refurbished. I've been using it for about a month and half now and it's a good deal I think. 1080p screen, looks nice, stays relatively cool, and isn't massive.

Amazon.com : Asus N56DP-DH11 15.6-Inch Laptop : Laptop Computers : Computers Accessories

You'll have to compromise on some graphics options of course, but I'm able to run Bioshock Infinite at 900p ultra/high settings and average 30-40 FPS.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
posted in pc help thread but decided to just buy the gf a new laptop, hers just died.

Ok so im going to get the GF a new gaming laptop since shes been wanting to play diablo 3 anyway, whats a good price point? all i want is the specs to play D3 i have no idea how to figure out laptop shit im looking on newegg for pre built laptops, but i cant find any good info on the graphics cards they come with.

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
I think it depends on what you/she wants. You can get something cheap (like I mentioned above) that can run modern games quite well.

If you're looking for something that can just get the job done for D3, then the N56DP is more than enough. Anything else that came out in the last 6-12 months will be at least $800+, and in that range pretty much anything labeled as an entertainment/gaming device will be sufficient for running D3 very well. No reason to go over $1000 at all unless you're looking for something specific.