Laptop Computers

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
I have to have a laptop for engineering and computer science classes. Right now I have a decent gaming rig, thought the video card is a little outdated (nvidia 560ti), it still has a 256gb ssd, the best i5 I could buy at the time (~1.5 years ago). So a gaming rig isn'ttoonecessary and I don't really want to lug around a 15lb laptop again, but I am spoiled using an SSD now.

If anyone has some insight into some good school/multi-purpose (lots of coding and some gaming) laptops, I'd appreciate it.

The only required specs are:

-i5 or i7 processor
-256gb min. storage (hybrid or ssd)
-Windows 7 or 8.1, 64-bit
-8gb ram or better
-802.11 a/g/n dual band (802.11ac if available)
-10/100/1000 Ethernet Card - external adapter acceptable

I also have to get a USB Wacom tablet as well. I'm basically refusing to buy a touch screen tablet/laptop combo and will just use a regular laptop (better value) with an attached tablet.

Edit: Forgot to mention, budget is around 1000-1200. I'm starting to think a SSD might be out of the question after looking on newegg.This is one I was eyeing.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
If you are used to SSD speeds a hybrid won't do the trick for you so I would drop that option.

Raign

Golden Squire
Thinking about upgrading my laptop, I currently have an older Asus G73jh, which has been great, but it is a beast to lug around everywhere so I am strongly considering going with a smaller form factor one this time around and really leaning towards the MacBook pro 'Style' of machine

That said, anyone got experience with theMSI Stealth Proseries (or MSI gaming rigs in general for that matter)? There is a real lack of reviews on the machine available (Amazon has like 3... and I generally don't trust industry reviews as impartiality is often questionable).

Aside from the Razor 'Blade' series (which is getting some pretty nasty reviews), are there others with this form factor I am missing the people have experience with?

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've never heard of the MSI Stealth Pro series so I just looked it up, I can't even believe they fit that hardware in that thing. I actually still don't think I would deal with a 17" laptop, though.

Raign

Golden Squire
Found another option as well that looks really good, Aorus X7. I like the looks of it even better. Don't deliver to Canada which is going to be a bit of a hassle, but might go in that direction instead when the dual 860 series comes out next month.

hats

Molten Core Raider
What do people think about sli/crossfire? Was considering splurging on a 880m sli laptop.

Will it be microstuttering or having rendering issues?

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Some of those Lenovo Y laptops are SLI I think and have great feedback. I imagine YMMV with manufacturer but in theory it makes for a powerful gaming laptop. The heat question becomes a concern even more so though.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
The heat question becomes a concern even more so though.
This. I've had nothing but problems with my SLI/CrossFire laptops over the years. Not a single one has survived long, and I'm constantly getting replacement parts (under warranty, which I keep renewing specifically because it's cheaper than replacing the video cards). If you're gonna go SLI, get a good cooling pad and start praying.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Anyone have a general idea when the new nvidia refresh will hit?
That's kind of a tough question. They kind of have already, the next round of GPUs from Nvidia will be based on their "Maxwell" architecture, and we've already had the first card released, the 750/750ti, a low/mid-range card, still numbered in the 700s like the previous generation. No one knows when 800-series, or more mid to high end Maxwell cards will be coming. Nvidia is moving from a .28nm production to a .20nm produciton for the first time with Maxwell, and speculation is that they aren't getting a lot of usable chips yet.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I ordered a Razer Blade (2014) and it just shipped today. Unfortunately it wasn't going to get here to Germany before I left so I had to send it to the states and get it there the last week of June. I will let you guys know how it is.

I bought it since I will be doing chemo a few times a week and need to be mobile and then sit in a chair for four hours a day. I wanted to make sure it was powerful enough. I was going to go MacBook Pro but I felt I was spending too much money on not enough hardware. The battery life on the Blade is listed at four hours and I hope it meets that expectation. If it does I think I will be more than content with it.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Ordered a ASUS ROG G750JZ-DS71 from Amazon and got it in a few days ago. Awesome machine. Very happy with it.

Raign

Golden Squire
Ordered a ASUS ROG G750JZ-DS71 from Amazon and got it in a few days ago. Awesome machine. Very happy with it.
I love Asus for gaming and would definitely go back to it if they had something smaller form factor. Their driver support is a bit on the meh side, but you cannot beat the bang for the buck you get on the hardware side.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Just did an upgrade on my M17x R2 from 5870M CFX to 7970M CFX. I managed to crush my CFX cable somehow while doing this, so can't actually turn CrossFire on. Had to buy another one off eBay. It's amazing how much people can charge for a tiny little ribbon cable.

That said, even one 7970M is higher performance than 2 5870M in CFX. This laptop may yet last me another few years. The whole upgrade cost $650 and I'll get quite a while longer out of this thing (and it's 5 years old already). This is the only pro for the more expensive desktop replacement laptops. Real user-replaceable parts.

Now, if only the motherboard supported something other than 1st gen Core i7...

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
I upgraded my M18x from 6990CF to 780SLI a couple of months ago - yeah it's nice to be able to upgrade but expensive and a pain in the ass doing it in a laptop.

Salshun_sl

shitlord
This. I've had nothing but problems with my SLI/CrossFire laptops over the years. Not a single one has survived long, and I'm constantly getting replacement parts (under warranty, which I keep renewing specifically because it's cheaper than replacing the video cards). If you're gonna go SLI, get a good cooling pad and start praying.
My Y510P has had zero issues with heat from the SLI. I've played some seriously graphical games for 10 hours and it was a champ the entire time. As it's been said dozens of times in this thread, it's the best <$1500 gaming laptop on Earth.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
My Y510P has had zero issues with heat from the SLI. I've played some seriously graphical games for 10 hours and it was a champ the entire time. As it's been said dozens of times in this thread, it's the best <$1500 gaming laptop on Earth.
If I had to do it all again, this is definitely the way I would go. Hell, even Alienware (well, Dell) understands that they just can't cram all that shit into their oddly designed, poorly cooled laptop cases without risking overheating, because they've pulled the SLI/CFX setups from all but the M18x at this point. The M17x R2 was the last of the 17" line to feature two video card slots.

What GPUs are you running in the Y510P? I'm guessing they're MXM?

Salshun_sl

shitlord
If I had to do it all again, this is definitely the way I would go. Hell, even Alienware (well, Dell) understands that they just can't cram all that shit into their oddly designed, poorly cooled laptop cases without risking overheating, because they've pulled the SLI/CFX setups from all but the M18x at this point. The M17x R2 was the last of the 17" line to feature two video card slots.

What GPUs are you running in the Y510P? I'm guessing they're MXM?
Dual GT750M. Also keep in mind it gets rid of heat like a motherfucker but I cannot see how a left handed person could use the Y150P. I'm not bullshitting at all I can keep food warm by placing it near the left vent.

The first time I ever loaded BF4 and close to max settings and heard the intro kick in with the "Total Eclipse" music and it looked smooth as fucking silk butter I immediately had never been happier with a high priced purchase, even more than my WRX. Even now 4 months later I still get blown away by it all the time.