Las Vegas - Winter Home

Vinen

God is dead
Wife and I are looking to buy a second home for the winter months.
Anyone know Real Estate and can comment on how its going in the Henderson area? We'd like a place we THINK we could at least get inflation off of in the future.

We are thinking in the range of 250K which will be a mansion in comparison to what we paid 650K for in the Boston area. Don't really give a shit about school system as our kid would be attending school in MA. This would be more of a vacation house / when we can talk my wifes parents to live at our place in MA.

We are open to other areas in the Southwest as well. Hell, other areas of the country as well too as long as there is a decent sized city within 15-20 minutes.

Senaiel

Silver Knight of the Realm
There is quite a bit to cover in the question you are asking. I am a native and local of Las Vegas and find it quite a delightful place to live. I am assuming that you have done research about the market in Vegas, but it has obviously been quite volatile over the past few years. Houses have gone up in price around 10-20% over the past year and half after the huge crash etc. I am in the south west and while it is a bit underdeveloped commercially it is coming along. How big of a house are you looking for and are you looking for a ranch style or two style? Ranch style in vegas are more desirable but a bit more expensive on the frontend. However, they will save you quite a bit in cooling cost from april to september. Henderson is a great area to live I lived there for 4 or 5 years and it was probably my favorite area. However, houses are a bit more expensive in the part of Henderson that is nice. Anyway, more questions you ask that are specific the more I can help with vegas. I am not a real estate expert here but I do follow enough of the market to feel somewhat comfortable.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Unless you are rich as hell and want to go to CA I think that means you are looking at Phoenix and Las Vegas for $/value standpoint near a major city.

If you want to be near a major airport, Phoenix is amazing for what you can get for the dollar going south a little bit, maybe down to Maricopa. Seriously you can buy a NEW build mansion for 250K in San Tan/Maricopa, MAYBE Queen Creek area, really depends on sq footage you want/need. Used? Hell skies the limit.

Ex:Capitol Reef | Capitol Reef

Not really sure about Vegas but I really only like visiting Vegas once in a great while so I have no great attachment. I'm sure if you love the glitz/glam/sleaze then you probably will just pick there anyway for the ease of going into town.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Palum, that looks a lot like the house Jessy Pinkman was climbing out of in the first episode of Breaking Bad. Has a very Mexican theme to it.

Vinen

God is dead
Unless you are rich as hell and want to go to CA I think that means you are looking at Phoenix and Las Vegas for $/value standpoint near a major city.

If you want to be near a major airport, Phoenix is amazing for what you can get for the dollar going south a little bit, maybe down to Maricopa. Seriously you can buy a NEW build mansion for 250K in San Tan/Maricopa, MAYBE Queen Creek area, really depends on sq footage you want/need. Used? Hell skies the limit.

Ex:Capitol Reef | Capitol Reef

Not really sure about Vegas but I really only like visiting Vegas once in a great while so I have no great attachment. I'm sure if you love the glitz/glam/sleaze then you probably will just pick there anyway for the ease of going into town.
Was mainly looking at Henderson as my parents live there.
Phoenix is kinda meh, wasn't a fan when my grandmother lived there.

Wife and I have an excess 8K/month after our current 3.3K mortgage, eating out nearly every day and my alocholism... That house does look so nice... god I hate Boston prices -.-

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
You two have nice income. Very impressive. Maybe some day my wife and I will get there as well.

Senaiel

Silver Knight of the Realm
Depending on how close to went to live by your parents you can buy a new build in Green Valley for around 300k. 10 to 15 mins away at most would be my guess. Green Valley is still a super nice area of town that is really desirable for resells as well.

Vinen

God is dead
Depending on how close to went to live by your parents you can buy a new build in Green Valley for around 300k. 10 to 15 mins away at most would be my guess. Green Valley is still a super nice area of town that is really desirable for resells as well.
Green Valley is nice and close. Parents are in Anthem.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Sun City, up by Tony Curtis /facepalm

Or maybe it was Tony Bennett. A famous Tony that old people like to brag they live next to.