Les Miserables

Weaponsfree_sl

shitlord
My fear for this one is that it will be as soulless as when Phantom transitioned to a movie. I was impressed by that trailer though, and I think the idea of Les Miserables is more palatable than Phantom is as a movie.

Interesting approach. Its apparently all sung live as filmed? Production values look good enough but will it be all down-to-earth and gritty singing? There are just some moments in Les Mis that need to be epic and soaring. Hope we get that.

Siliconemelons

I liked much of phantom- butler is a great phantom- but the changes they made changed meaning to some songs...

But yes, this was all sung-live during filming.... not digging maximus however....everyone else...win

I fail at embed

Felonius_sl

shitlord
I fail at embed
I got you brokowski
biggrin.png

biggrin.png

biggrin.png

Daggen_sl

shitlord
I guess it comes down to the choice between professional actors and being able to mess around with their singing later on to make it decent and professional singers whose acting abilities let them down. The two trailers definately look promising and they have a much better story to work from than Phantom which has always made me think of a Scooby Doo masked comedy villain more than anything else.

Looking forward to this one - if they can get half the passion and power that exists in the original book into the film then it will be good. Hopefully good enough to win over people who will reject it sight unseen just because it has some musical parts.

Mythas 5thboardnow

Silver Knight of the Realm
It looks like a good version of les mis, but wasn't this movie just "redone" in the last decade or so? I also think its horseshit that a remake of a remake of a remake also gets an immediate oscar nod.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
It looks like a good version of les mis, but wasn't this movie just "redone" in the last decade or so? I also think its horseshit that a remake of a remake of a remake also gets an immediate oscar nod.
I believe this is the first big screen version of the musical and not the book, but I could be wrong.

Fyro

Golden Squire
I am quite excited for this. I absolutely love the music from Les Miserables. "One day more" - boom.

Also not so much hate on The Phantom of the Opera, it was by far not a bad film. Some things could have been done differently, but come on, Butler was great.

Siliconemelons

aye I liked phantom, even if they changed the centenary scenes entire mood and point... To her pleading for ericks life rather than roules that she will do again at the end... And it was kinda off for roule to win that fight, deff after the slice he took... But much of phantom is up for interpretation.

I look forward to les mis, I wonder how much of the extraneous barricade songs will be in the movie, that's where it drags... Even in many collections and anniversary ensembles the second half is cut down to the 'good' songs or ones needed for the plot etc.

edit: I can't spell sooryz

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I typically hate musicals but Les Mis?rables was a good book when I read it back in college and the cast alone would probably get me to watch this. Too bad the Germans hate the French so it probably isn't playing anywhere in this backwater hick province.

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
We read this in High School, and then took a field trip to see it on Broadway. One of the only plays I've seen live, I'm excited to see this... on blu-ray.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Excited for this as well. I grew up with a very musical family so we always had musicals playing in the background and Les mis was always a house favorite. Also, I personally enjoyed phantom. Some parts were a little iffy but Gerard butler and Emmy rossum were great. I also LOVED how they did the ending, showing the black rose on Christine's grave. I felt it added so much to Erik's character