Life (2017)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

iannis

Musty Nester
That would actually be clever. Try to get a new audience into see a super hero movie.

Pretty fuckin meta though, and the movie would have to take a really weird M. Knight Shamalamadingdong sort of turn at the end. And it would probably piss off people who went into it expecting to see a sci-fi horror movie.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
That would actually be clever. Try to get a new audience into see a super hero movie.

Pretty fuckin meta though, and the movie would have to take a really weird M. Knight Shamalamadingdong sort of turn at the end. And it would probably piss off people who went into it expecting to see a sci-fi horror movie.

The concept of Life being the prequel to Venom is incredible. I will not be able to watch this without thinking of the symbiote

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Gonna see this tomorrow on the .001% chance it's actually a venom prequel and the denial is just CYA.

Edit:. Also no reason why this and potentially the first venom film aren't full blown sci-fi horror films. "Life" and "Life 2(IE venom)" both work very well as alien tributes. No reason to lighten the tone initially. Final bridge scene of venom shows it's in the Spidey verse, not life.

Last edited:

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
My comments.

The alien was pretty horrifying. You can immediately recognize your Extinction event in front of you and it's an odd feeling. The ending was pretty predictable as people continually under estimated it's intelligence even after it continually showed how smart it was. I thought the ending was a good twist and tribute to Alien.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I think my biggest question with this movie is Ryan Reynold, He can play deadpool and was good in The Nines but typically sucks

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
He's a decent actor he is just usually comic relief. He was fine in this.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just got back from it, great movie. It is not very original, but it is extremely well done. The acting, the visuals, and the fast paced story are all excellent.

I don't think you have to see it in the theatres, but if you like Sci-fi and a bit of horror/suspense, check it out when it hits blu-ray.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
So I didn't actually go see this yet, but someone who has, question for you:

plot synopsis on the internet says the creature does make it back to Earth in one of the escape pods, by this point it's black, kinda symbiotic looking and covering one of the last survivors, who is frantically trying to get his "rescuers" to leave and not try and save him.

A: is this an accurate account of the end, and
B: is there any possible way this is a precursor to venom?

joz123

Potato del Grande
So I didn't actually go see this yet, but someone who has, question for you:

plot synopsis on the internet says the creature does make it back to Earth in one of the escape pods, by this point it's black, kinda symbiotic looking and covering one of the last survivors, who is frantically trying to get his "rescuers" to leave and not try and save him.

A: is this an accurate account of the end, and
B: is there any possible way this is a precursor to venom?
A. Kinda
B. No

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I thought it was just okay

Like a just okay Alien combined with a just okay Gravity.

I'll tell you this though:
Them Asians ain't gonna let that thing get away. Motherfuckers gonna have that thing chopped up and simmering in a pot of fish soup in Hanoi before lunchtime.

Crisis averted

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
I thought it was just okay

Like a just okay Alien combined with a just okay Gravity.

I'll tell you this though:
Them Asians ain't gonna let that thing get away. Motherfuckers gonna have that thing chopped up and simmering in a pot of fish soup in Hanoi before lunchtime.

Crisis averted

While that's a good point. I also think that the thing wouldn't be nearly as problematic on earth. It was really agile with zero gravity. But being restricted by gravity on earth, even though smart, a good attack chopper would probably give it some trouble if caught in the open. Then again, it did grow substantially after having a snack on Reynold's insides, so god only knows how large the thing would be after just a bit of time on earth. GG speculation spoilers.

• 1Like

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Watched the movie and I enjoyed it.

Although another poster said that he thinks it is not necessary to watch in the theatres, I would say that you would enjoy it more if you do so. The special effects is made for viewing in the cinema and watching it on a big screen would greatly enhance the viewing experience and tension of this film.

I love space sci-fi horror movies. It's not going to win any awards on originality and had a ending that I could see coming from a mile away but I feel I got my money's worth for ~2 hours of good entertainment.

7.5/10

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
While that's a good point. I also think that the thing wouldn't be nearly as problematic on earth. It was really agile with zero gravity. But being restricted by gravity on earth, even though smart, a good attack chopper would probably give it some trouble if caught in the open. Then again, it did grow substantially after having a snack on Reynold's insides, so god only knows how large the thing would be after just a bit of time on earth. GG speculation spoilers.

but the son of bitch is out at sea, and will consume all living things in the ocean, grow larger than godzilla, thus rule the world.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
I dunno how I felt about this movie, like I didn't hate any of the characters. They were all relatively unselfish, and they only made mistakes that they really couldn't have known were mistakes at the time. Its an interesting movie, but it leaves me with this feeling that there wasn't I dunno maybe a point to it?

Ryan Rynolds Character probably makes the biggest mistake, which was to break the quarintine, which he did only in an act of valor to save the black British scientist.

The black scientist made that initial "mistake", which had he not attempted to correct might have kept them alive, assuming they kept it in space, but of course the whole mission was to try and establish life.

When he attempts to stimulate activity with the electricity, it leads to the fall out. I had a thought that perhaps, he triggered a defensive response in the organism, but given the clear and vast intelligence of the creature, it had to conceivably have some type of rational consciousness, so its improbable that it would have kept it's rampage up if it had any other intention then consuming all life in its path.

The Japanese scientist, if I understand the situation correctly was trying to stop the "rescue" crew from boarding the ship, he wasn't trying to run for his life, he had the impression that they were being boarded, and was attempting to protect them/stop them from taking the life form back with them (even though as it turns out that ship was a fall over plan to eject the life form back into deep space.

There really was no combating the organism, it was so smart, in fact it seemed as though it was reading their minds , seeing as it was literally operating within the same thought process that the crew was at certain times.

Maybe if both crew members attempted to lure it to the escape pod together they could attempt to navigate it away, but I have no reason to believe it couldn't have over powered them both, and it was so smart, that I wonder why it hadn't tried to figure out how to pilot the escape pod itself, however ridiculous that may seem.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
I dunno how I felt about this movie, like I didn't hate any of the characters. They were all relatively unselfish, and they only made mistakes that they really couldn't have known were mistakes at the time. Its an interesting movie, but it leaves me with this feeling that there wasn't I dunno maybe a point to it?
message is don't resurrect an alien life form without putting in a lab that you can eject to space at first sign of hostility.

all joking aside, i pretty much agree with what you said.

• 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
plot comments
i appreciate the ending, in that the good guys didn't win. it doesn't go with the typical hollywood trope of humans being the underdog and pulling out the win at the end. i also like that the headlining actor was the one that died first, it was a weird refreshing feeling in that i literally have no idea who is going to die or survive. i didn't particularly like that calvin seemed supernatural, in that it just KNEW things. i mean, i'm a carbon based life-form, but i can't just FEEL where air is coming from. then they have the mind-blowing realization that "hey, when we changed the atmosphere it reverted back to sleepmode! let's do that IN the station!" but no one says "uh. broseph... it was out in the vacuum of space for like 20 minutes. unphased. maybe that will be a huge waste of what little resources we have on this thing."

calvin going from acting like a mind-less beast to acting like a super-intelligent alien lifeform from one scene to the next was a little jarring as well. it wasn't a bad film, i liked it. as redlettermedia said, it felt like a hollywood B movie.

Jimmycarterwuwu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Thought movie was lame. Best thing to come off of this movie is me putting my hand on wife's face or throwing a cold towel on her face yelling "Calvin"

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Just watched this. Liked it over all. And the ending as well.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
The movie was OK, slightly better than average. However, it gets big points from me just for the ending. it was nice not to have a telegraphed feel good ending

gak

<Gold Donor>
Asians... gonna have that thing chopped up and simmering in a pot

Life 2: Trump "leaks" with fake news that alien flesh makes your dong grow "huuuge", asians fight over who gets to eat it, movie over.

shrug.gif