Linux OS stuff Thread

What Linux distribution do you use @ HOME ?

• Slackware

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Ubuntu

Votes: 33 45.8%
  • Mint

Votes: 16 22.2%
  • Fedora

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • Debian

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • SUSE

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • Arch

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Gentoo

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Puppy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mandriva

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 21 29.2%

• Total voters

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Reading today Linus Torvalds has left the Linus Foundation. I know it has little to no impact on Linux the OS just found it interesting.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
He took a break to think more about empathy and inclusivity. Aka faggotry.

khorum

Murder Apologist
He took a break to think more about empathy and inclusivity. Aka faggotry.

Hilarious part is that Linus has been immersed in feminism since the 90's. He married Finland's Karate Champion and he's all about getting chicks into coding since even before THAT got fashionable: he's got three daughters.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Hilarious part is that Linus has been immersed in feminism since the 90's. He married Finland's Karate Champion and he's all about getting chicks into coding since even before THAT got fashionable: he's got three daughters.
We both know this garbage isnt about feminism; Its about power. Humans never change.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The tinfoil hat stuff revolving around the Linus situation is pretty popcorn worthy. Everything from people pointing out that the note was written in two different editors, suggesting a possibility that much of it was written for him, to suggestions that it's corporations trying to gain more influence in the foundation via blackmail. And pretty much all of it is plausible in this social climate.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Can someone suggest a distro best suited for limited Linux gaming and doesn't have too many complications when it comes to multiple monitor setups (custom refresh rates as well) and has decent scaling options for 4K. Nvidia GPU and will be dual booted if that matters at all.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Can someone suggest a distro best suited for limited Linux gaming and doesn't have too many complications when it comes to multiple monitor setups (custom refresh rates as well) and has decent scaling options for 4K. Nvidia GPU and will be dual booted if that matters at all.
Nope

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>

They all mostly work the same nowadays. Newer Xorg setups do autoconfiguration (no more xorg.conf editing) even with multiple monitors, and you will install the official Nvidia driver anyways where you can change your setup with the nvidia-settings tool.

If you want the newest and hottest stuff get a rolling release distro like Arch Linux. However some upgrades are not without pain and you should know your way around Linux.

If you want mostly stable go with something like Ubuntu or Debian.

• 1Like

Lurkingmoar

Molten Core Raider
I've been messing with proton/steam play with games on Ubuntu with my sff raven ridge machine. Some games work while others have major issues, but it is definitely cool to see how far linux has come for gaming. Dropping a link for those who want to contribute to the cause.

https://www.protondb.com/

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
I've started putting Linux Mint on some machines at work (those that only need a GUI to connect to Windows Remote Servers with) and either Linux has come a long way in the past 10 years or I got a lot smarter.

• 1Like

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Mint/Ubuntu definitely has come a long way.
Right, I mean I get my network printers added n/p, can RDP with Remmina, even import openvpn for those without a hardware firewall, and computers from 2009 run like on their first day.

I hope to switch 90% of my work computers to Linux. Have some very specific software I'd either have to WinE or just use W10 on those machines.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone have any experience with Hyper-V? Grabbed a win 10 pro key for my new desktop and thinking about giving it a try.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Hyper-V is ok, it just doesn't do anything better than any other hypervisor and is one of the harder ones to set up. I'd much rather just download VirtualBox if I'm doing a short term / test type of thing or ESXi if I need to run a VM persistently.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users