Long cables to living room

pwe

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Gentlemen,

I'd like to do some gaming from my couch, but my gaming pc is ~8 meters away.

If I place a monitor on the table, would 10m HDMI 2.1 cable and 10m USB (5m + 5m extender cable) be a workable solution, if I want 1440p? Anyone tried something similar? I would plug the USB to the monitor, and then also controller and headset to monitor USB. Did I miss something crucial? Can I get the best of both worlds, pc master race on the couch?

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Gentlemen,

If I place a monitor on the table, would 10m HDMI 2.1 cable and 10m USB (5m + 5m extender cable) be a workable solution, if I want 1440p? Anyone tried something similar? I would plug the USB to the monitor, and then also controller and headset to monitor USB. Did I miss something crucial? Can I get the best of both worlds, pc master race on the couch?
Doesn't your tv have like wireless? Pretty sure I have relatives that do it that way, but I didn't set it up.

pwe

Doesn't your tv have like wireless? Pretty sure I have relatives that do it that way, but I didn't set it up.
My wife would fight to the death for the TV. I'm stronger than her, but I don't think it's worth it. I did test it, though. I used TP Link for ethernet over powerlines, but even at 60 fps the quality was not very good. It had visible degredation in 1080p and worse at 1440p. And then there's the death thing.

So I'm going with a monitor on the table, and I assume long cables would give me 100% quality and fps. Right? Since it's digital I would probably get it all, or nothing. I'd love 1440p @ 120fps or so, which my computer can do.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
My wife would fight to the death for the TV. I'm stronger than her, but I don't think it's worth it. I did test it, though. I used TP Link for ethernet over powerlines, but even at 60 fps the quality was not very good. It had visible degredation in 1080p and worse at 1440p. And then there's the death thing.

So I'm going with a monitor on the table, and I assume long cables would give me 100% quality and fps. Right? Since it's digital I would probably get it all, or nothing. I'd love 1440p @ 120fps or so, which my computer can do.

Shouldn't have any issues with cords that length

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pwe

Shouldn't have any issues with cords that length
I'll give it a go! I will try an HDMI cable of reasonable quality, instead of the cheapest. Excited! The dog is always on the couch, that's a huge bonus :cool:

• 1Seriously?

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
Gentlemen,

Pretty sure you need DisplayPort cables if you're running over 60hz, and if you're running a gaming PC at under 144hz, you should punch yourself in the cock.

• 1Worf

pwe

Pretty sure you need DisplayPort cables if you're running over 60hz, and if you're running a gaming PC at under 144hz, you should punch yourself in the cock.
Because of the length? HDMI 2.1 supports 120fps.

I will punch myself in the cock @ 60 fps.

Last edited:

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I did a long ass USB and HDMI cables and didn't notice any issues. I didn't stress the FPS though. I'd look at the specs in the HDMI cables to see if there's any bandwidth limitation or delay (in case of repeaters, idk).

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Because of the length? HDMI 2.1 supports 120fps.

I will punch myself in the cock @ 60 fps.

HDMI 2.1 at 33 feet will be fine. You'll start to see signal degradation after 40ft. If you see issues at 33 the best way to go about it would be to purchase a cheap HDMI Transmitter Receiver pair and run Shielded Cat 6. 230ft and 330ft models.

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
Not that I'm offering this as a solution, but it made me think of my neighbor. He literally has one of those doctor's office carts for his computer so he can wheel it around and use it wherever. Mostly for work, he's a workaholic, but occasionally he games.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

pwe

I bought this one and tested from my pc to my usual monitor. It seems to run butter smooth at 2560x1440 @ 144 fps.

Now I just need USB. I guess the easiest is to use cables again.

1695312053111.png

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Not that I'm offering this as a solution, but it made me think of my neighbor. He literally has one of those doctor's office carts for his computer so he can wheel it around and use it wherever. Mostly for work, he's a workaholic, but occasionally he games.
your nieghbor is living in the one true future

Mobile-Standing-Game-Desk-Height-Adjustable-Pneumatic-Adjustable-Workstation-Study-Desk-modish-f_7734_1.jpg

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I bought this one and tested from my pc to my usual monitor. It seems to run butter smooth at 2560x1440 @ 144 fps.

Now I just need USB. I guess the easiest is to use cables again.

View attachment 491565
Came here to post. Active optical cables are the way to go for what you're looking for. Not sure I would have bought that particular brand.

This one is supposed to be good according to reddit.

pwe

Came here to post. Active optical cables are the way to go for what you're looking for. Not sure I would have bought that particular brand.

This one is supposed to be good according to reddit.
Random brand and cable, really, I wanted to pick it up and test right away. Waiting is for smart people. Not very expensive either. It seems to do the job.

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I've done 50 feet Ethernet, HDMI, and USB runs using generic brands and it was completely fine. I wouldn't splurge for anything expensive.

• 1Like

pwe

Next first world problem :p

Instead of a monitor I'd like a small'ish TV so I can use the SteamLink app (I can run that on my "real" tv). The TV will be very close to me, less than 2m/79 inches, so maybe 32" - 40". I can get USB that way and use a single long HDMI cable for video and audio. Or maybe for some games just use the SteamLink app without any long cables.

My ideal resolution is 1440p at 120hz, but TV's don't appear to come in 1440p, only 1080p and 4K. I don't really want to run 4K for such a small tv, and as games get more demanding I have to keep HW up with 120hz 4K. Sounds like heavy duty. I could run 1440p and let the TV upcale to 4K, but I hear that doesn't look that great. Or I could upscale 1080p to 4K, but giving up resulution. Or I could get a 1080p 120hz TV, also giving up resolution. Or stick to a monitor, but the largest 1440p I've seen are 27", unless I go widescreen, which I don't want to. And then I also need long USB cables.

I think the perfect solution would be a 1440p 120hz 34" TV, but that seems to be a pipe dream.

It's a cruel world, I just wanted some simple couch gaming :(

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I've done 50 feet Ethernet, HDMI, and USB runs using generic brands and it was completely fine. I wouldn't splurge for anything expensive.
50 feet is not a long ethernet run, it's actually still considered a short run. But that is a long HDMI and USB run. If you're just transmitting 1080p or 4k@30hz, anything will do. But dropouts are definitely an issue at 4k@120hz without the proper HDMI cabling over long runs.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
50 feet is not a long ethernet run, it's actually still considered a short run. But that is a long HDMI and USB run. If you're just transmitting 1080p or 4k@30hz, anything will do. But dropouts are definitely an issue at 4k@120hz without the proper HDMI cabling over long runs.
It was 1440p so maybe was just at the edge of things. The USB was completely fine, though. I thought he was only looking at 10 meters lengths so was thinking he didn't need to go hardcore based on that .

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It was 1440p so maybe was just at the edge of things. The USB was completely fine, though. I thought he was only looking at 10 meters lengths so was thinking he didn't need to go hardcore based on that .
You still want optical cables for HDMI runs over 16ft generally. You can buy shittier optical cables and hope for the best. For USB you probably want a run to a powered hub if you're going that far.