Looking for a video capture device

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
My son wants to stream/record his PS3 gaming sessions. I was looking at one of these for him.

Amazon.com: Hauppauge 1512 HD-PVR 2 High Definition Personal Video Recorder with Digital Audio (SPDIF) and IR Blaster Technology: Computers Accessories

Anyone have experience with one of these? They any good? Cheaper versions? Better versions? ETC.

For myself, do they make a device that sits external to the PC, that handles all of the processing for streaming to Twitch? Something like this.

Amazon.com: AVerMedia C985 Live Gamer HD 1080p Capture Card: Computers Accessories

I have no room in for my PC for the above card. Again, do you or anyone you know have experience with said cards?

Thx in advance.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Also, once you buy him a PS4, it's already built in(might make upgrading sooner rather than later worthwhile)

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
Yeah it's inbuilt to the PS4 but I'm not sure it's hardware encoded, so using the LGP would make a faster stream, and it also doesn't allow you currently to save your broadcasts to Twitch whereas going through a hardware solution with OBS/Xsplit will allow you to

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
Have it sitting on my desk now. Will hook it up to something when I get home and do some test streaming OotB from one of my machines on a shitty 0.8Mb/s uplink and see how it goes, should give you an example of how it might work for you.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I second the avermedia game capture HD. I have one and I love it. It doesn't bog down your Cpu and you can either record or stream in 1080p. My youtube game videos looks so awesome. You can't do both at the same time unless you have two of them. Make sure if you're using it your monitor resolution is 1920x1080. That's the highest signal it can read unless they did a firmware update since I bought one.

Also you may want to look at the Elgato game capture hd. I also own one of those to record PS game footage.

Elgato Game Capture HD PlayStation 3/Xbox 360 Recorder for Mac and PC up to 1080P (10025010):Amazon:Computers & Accessories

Edit: I have an older model Hauppauge hd recorder I don't use. I think I have all the cables to it. You can have it but I recommend the any above named over this one.

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
So here is the test stream I just finished with GT6 (ignore driving, wasn't using my wheel

Knytestorme - GT6 start and test stream - Twitch

This was done using a 0.8Mb/s upload, 720p stage, 525k bitrate, 128k audio, veryfast Xsplit preset (will have to play with that), I went with the LGP ps3 cable out into it, set to composite 720p, usb from the lgp to pc and hdmi to monitor and pc streaming through xsplit. Might try a few tests tomorrow through the RECentral software from aver along with increasing the preset up to the higher cpu-required ones for better encoding.

I was also recording to my pc in 1080p for editing and uploading to YouTube so will see how that looks tomorrow