Lord of the Rings Online

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Downloaded this today and fired up for the first time in probably 4-5 years I think. I also bought the VIP pack back when so I had something like 56k points to spend lol. One thing that surprised me was the only character I could find was a lvl 10 hobbit hunter, while I distinctly remember having played a hobbit minstrel and a dwarf Tank class (champion?). Couldn't find them.

Anyway, I decided to roll a new hobbit hunter just to see what it was like, and they have changed the XP quite a bit. I do remember from my old hobbit hunter that it took me a good part of the Shire to get to lvl 10, but now the levels speed by like nobody's business.

Still, I'm not sure if I want to be a hunter as my main. Any good tips on a strong solo class, as I have a feeling I'll want to play every now and then, but not grow too attached. Are Minstrels any good at soloing? I do remember enjoying my old one.

Also, any good WoWhead type sites for this game?

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Still, I'm not sure if I want to be a hunter as my main. Any good tips on a strong solo class, as I have a feeling I'll want to play every now and then, but not grow too attached. Are Minstrels any good at soloing? I do remember enjoying my old one.
I am still really new to the game but I leveled up my hunter to 30 really damn fast and have been playing around with the others. Mini seems to be even faster but it gets REALLY repetitive with the same 4 moves over and over and over. Hunters also seem to be the most common class that I run into (at least on Crick) but I'm sure a lot of them are just deed farming alts.

From stuff I have read just about any class is a viable solo class until pretty high levels, it just depends on if you are powering through content or not. I am currently messing around with a Champion(I think that is what the two handed, DPS/tank guy is called) and loving it so far for solo stuff.

Take all of that with a grain of salt though since I am really just fumble-fucking my way around.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, I'll keep on experimenting with characters. Tried a Lore-Master, and shit just dies.

One thing I love more than all is the new loot system. No more stopping to pick up loot, you just blaze through mobs as fast as you can then pick it all up half an hour later. Awesome.

BTW, I found out what happened to all my old characters, they were on servers that had closed and were eligible for free character transfer. You just have to click the Transfer button on the login screen first. I knew I had more lol

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Letsinod

Lord Nagafen Raider
Depends on what you want to do. Ministrels are big time fun and can do some damage but they can't take it for nothing. Burglars are just a ton of fun too and the least played class probably.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I think my first class was a hobbit burglar, didn't like it much since I didn't understand the whole combo move thing.

Turns out I had a bunch of characters on the old deleted servers most in their 20s and 30s. According to the Character Transfer page the last time I looked at them was way back in 2010/11.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I think most classes are viable at this point. The only classes I've played for decent amounts of time are champion and guardian. I played the guardian when moria was released and got to the max level of 60 at the time. From what I remember they're nearly unkillable solo but it's extremely slow going. The Champion is what I used on my journey through all the expansions. They're AE oriented and it was pretty easy going as long as I kept updating my gear. Level 110 now but I should be able to max it out in a few more play sessions.

In regards to the game seeming empty that's because most of the people who play the game are going to be in the end zone of the latest expansion. Things looked pretty sparse for me until I got to those areas then I'd run into lots of people all the time. I think there's an anniversary event going on right now so you'll probably see more people in towns like Bree.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I think I've finally decided on a Champion for my main. Took the AOE build since I often seem to aggro more than one mob at a time. Going to take it nice and easy through the zones and enjoy the quests. You actually both need to read, and enjoy the quest texts here, unlike WoW.

Pleanty of people around, and I'm only talking low levels here, haven't been to a high level zone yet.

The only thing I wonder about is if I should sell the "vendor trash" loot or keep it since it says it can be traded in for marks or trophies or something. Anyone know the answer to that?

Brikker

Trump's Staff
The story and setting was always nice in this game but every time I tried it I couldn't get very far due to the GODAWFUL combat.

If they made an expac re-doing combat systems I'd consider paying to play this...

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
Does Daybreak now own this? Is this the reason I haven't been able to get into contact with their customer support for over a month?

sukik

Standing Stone games isn't owned by daybreak. They use Daybreak as a publisher for some distribution.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Word? Shit now I need to play

You subbing ot FTPing? Hows the balance on the Free parts? I must have a ton of store points saved from years ago.
I'm FTP right now (and not even bothering with shit like deed farming). Just taking different characters through the story parts. Coin cap is lame and I know I am missing out on some content (and will throw them some $$ for VIP at some point), but honestly I don't notice many differences at all other than cosmetic shit.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I'm FTP right now (and not even bothering with shit like deed farming). Just taking different characters through the story parts. Coin cap is lame and I know I am missing out on some content (and will throw them some $$ for VIP at some point), but honestly I don't notice many differences at all other than cosmetic shit.

Might be worth it. I took a Hunter to just after Moria in like 2008. Then I did a captain right up to about Moria but didnt get into moria in like 2013.

As long as you can level and do the whole story without paying, ill gladly throw some money here and there. Just hate when the FTP makes grinding 2x as much exp a thing.

Good info. Ill dig it up when i get home since Rift was a flop.

sukik

If you're still in the lower levels subbing may not be worth it. I sub so I don't have to buy the quest packs, and some of the other perks are nice.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
man LotR been playing on cable recently, making me want to play this since I'm not doing any MMO's right now.

might need to download! think I was doing a Loremaster last time I played...will likely quit again after 10 levels of shit combat, lol.

there any good up-to-date guides on "what to do" or intricacies of the game as it is now?

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
there any good up-to-date guides on "what to do" or intricacies of the game as it is now?
Just make a Hobbit Minstrel/Elf Hunter, fast-rage till level 30 in a day or two and realize you probably would have had more fun with a Champion and reading all the lore.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Just make a Hobbit Minstrel/Elf Hunter, fast-rage till level 30 in a day or two and realize you probably would have had more fun with a Champion and reading all the lore.

reading lore and unlocking my childhood fantasy nostalgia is the main reason to play LotRO! are Minstrel's good now? I thought they were a healer or something. My first time playing was as an elf hunter, got to the low 30s or 40s I think. Highest I've ever gone in the game. I liked the Loremaster fantasy since it's fun to pretend you're a long lost Istari. They also weren't terrible at solo DPS as they were at launch/when I first played. Was just the slow combat/slowish leveling overall that wears on me.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
reading lore and unlocking my childhood fantasy nostalgia is the main reason to play LotRO! are Minstrel's good now? I thought they were a healer or something. My first time playing was as an elf hunter, got to the low 30s or 40s I think. Highest I've ever gone in the game. I liked the Loremaster fantasy since it's fun to pretend you're a long lost Istari. They also weren't terrible at solo DPS as they were at launch/when I first played. Was just the slow combat/slowish leveling overall that wears on me.

Minstrels and Hunters are probably the most common classes around that I have seen in my level range (I am nowhere near end game stuff). They are just fast for leveling and deed farming. All classes can more or less solo fairly high. Lots of people love the Runekeeper (I'm FTP so no idea) but I took a LM up to level 20 and was loving it. My hunter basically kills yellow/white with three shots but it does get repetitive hence why the lore and scenery is worth paying attention to.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user