Lord of the Rings Online

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
What's it take to get into this game, is all of this content F2P or are there exp packs that need to be purchased?

Any recommended servers?
It's not quite up to date I think but here's a chart of what content there is and what it costs:

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...k-Access-Chart

You can buy this stuff with Turbine Points earned while playing the game. The early levels give the most points per hour, so if you're ok with grinding the same stuff out creating a new character each time you can earn points at a rate of 20 - 40 per hour without too much effort IIRC. From that it should be clear that you'll have to spend a lot of hours in the game to get all the content for free.

There's other things you might want to get as well (e.g. a horse) which will eat into those TP. They have sales each week so with a stock of points you can pick stuff up at discount before you need it.

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
My suggestion is to spend $15 for one month (tell yourself it's the box cost). Any character you play or create while subbed gets lifetime unlocks of gold cap, traits, fast travel, bags, and some other stuff. VIPs can also quest for their horse instead of spending TP assuming you can stomach walking until lvl 20. VIP only gets you 1-50 content free anyway which is easily doable in that one month. Even subs have to buy content for the higher levels so you can safely drop the sub once you start moria. You won't have everything that a VIP has but you're not nearly as gimped as in other F2P games.

Nimchammund_sl

shitlord
Level 25 Hunter here, been playing Lotro casually here and there. I orginally started my MMO experience in EverQuest in 2000 on the Erollisi Marr server.

I'm enjoying myself going solo with all of the quests. I'm hoping that the Vanderbilt University class on MMOs will choose the Gladden server which I currently play on. Check it out, the class begins July 2013:

https://www.coursera.org/#course/onlinegames

Nhilist_sl

shitlord
^^ Short of him calling it Worldsof Warcraft, I really like what Jay Clayton is doing and if I'm not mistaken, he has been doing this for a while. Hell, conceptually, breaking down the narrative connections between literature and mmo's is sort of what we do here every day, well with a good bit more of finger pointing and calling each other faggot.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Gotta d/l this later and check it out again. I know I had characters from every class from the teens into the 50s, so could definitely group up with some of you.

Nhilist_sl

shitlord
Gotta d/l this later and check it out again. I know I had characters from every class from the teens into the 50s, so could definitely group up with some of you.
Absolutley man, the SA goons are on the Silverlode server, we are very active and have finally manged to stay off the GM's shit list (give it time, I'm sure we will fuck it up again).

Braen

<Medals Crew>
Stop recruiting people. That's my gig!

Well more like recruiting and then leaving them alone.

Nhilist_sl

shitlord
Stop recruiting people. That's my gig!

Well more like recruiting and then leaving them alone.
TrainWreck1.gif

What's the worst thing that could happen!, now quit pontificating and play the game!

And give me a ring fucker, we need to catch up.

Tual

Molten Core Raider
New expansion announced.
The Lord of the Rings Online?: Helm?s Deep?
WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT AND TURBINE ANNOUNCE THE LORD OF THE RINGS ONLINE?: HELM?S DEEP?The Fifth Expansion to the Critically-Acclaimed MMO Launches in Fall 2013 (NEEDHAM, MA ? April 24, 2013) -- Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment unveiled today The Lord of the Rings Online?: Helm?s Deep?, the next expansion to the award-winning free-to-play massively multiplayer online roleplaying game (MMORPG) developed by Turbine. Helm?s Deep will continue the Epic Story into the western plains of Rohan, allow players to take a direct role in the battle for Helm?s Deep and advance the level cap to 95. ?With Helm?s Deep, we?re bringing the War of the Ring to players on a monumental scale,? said Kate Paiz, Executive Producer of The Lord of the Rings Online, Turbine. ?Our team is thrilled to create another iconic moment in Middle-earth, and put players in the center of the action.? THE LORD OF THE RINGS ONLINE: HELM?S DEEPFEATURES:
Experience the Battle for Helm?s Deep ? Fight to defend Helm?s Deep starting at level 10, as your character enlists as a soldier in the Battle of the Hornburg, the most massive conflict yet in The Lord of the Rings Online. Earn rewards for your contribution to the war effort ? win or lose, your aid makes a difference!
Explore new landscapes across Western Rohan - Explore the Westemnet of Rohan and rally each of the five Ridings as Rohan returns to glory. Traverse the capital of Edoras, mysterious Dunharrow, and the fortress of the Hornburg, deep within Helm?s Deep.
Advance from levels 85 to 95 - Experience 10 new levels, from 85 to 95, with new skills and completely updated class specializations. Both mounted and un-mounted combat will challenge you as you war against the evil of Saruman.
Continue the Epic Story - Encounter beloved characters such as Aragorn, ?owyn, and ?omer. Restore King Th?oden to his rightful lordship and defend the peoples of Rohan at Helm?s Deep.

The Lord of the Rings Online? is the ultimate adventure! This award-winning free-to-play massively multiplayer online role-playing game delivers an interactive experience brimming with life and filled with the familiar people, places, and monsters from the most famous fantasy of all time. For more information, visitwww.lotro.com. # # # THE LORD OF THE RINGS ONLINE? interactive video game ? 2013 Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc and patents pending. All rights reserved. Middle-earth Poster Map ? 2007 The Saul Zaentz Company, d/b/a Middle-earth Enterprises (SZC), under license to Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.. All rights reserved. ?The Lord of the Rings Online?,?Helms Deep? ?Shadows of Angmar?, ?Mines of Moria?, ?Siege of Mirkwood?, ?Rise of Isengard?, ?Riders of Rohan?, Middle-earth Enterprises logo, ?Mithril?, ?The Lord of the Rings? and the names of the characters, events, items and places therein are trademarks or registered trademarks of SZC under license to Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. Turbine and the Turbine logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I've been dicking around in this again lately. I don't have the most recent expansion, but I'm hoping that it'll go on sale before Helm's Deep launches so I can get it on the cheap. Until then I'm leveling up alts and enjoying the quests/world.

It's amazing how enormous the world has become since launch.http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Special:Interactivemap

Anyway, an actual question: how is the mounted combat? I thought it sounded stupid when I read about it before Rohan's release, but I never had an opportunity to try it myself. I see people riding around on war mounts and they look pretty cool, but I'm curious how the mechanics actually worked out.

nuday

Golden Squire
Anybody still playing this? I haven't played since a bit before the first expansion came out.

Gorestabb

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I've just recently started playing this again. I come back every few months or so as I just love the LotR world. It's still a good game, and the FTP system is done really well.

McCheese

I just came back recently, too. I'm slowly leveling up a new character since I don't feel like buying the latest expansion for my max level guy.

Juvarisx

Florida
Combat feels really slow and awkward after playing WoW for so long but I think I will try to give it a real chance

McCheese

Combat feels really slow and awkward after playing WoW for so long but I think I will try to give it a real chance
Yeah the combat is pretty slow coming from WoW. It's not really instantaneous but rather slower and steadier. You kind of get into a rhythm.

nuday

Golden Squire
What server(s) are you guy on? Apparently my level 30 has been deleted in the time I've been away, so I have to reroll.

Gorestabb

I'm on Brandywine server. Although it seems the vast majority of people on this server are at or nearly at max level, so you'd have a solo journey to the top. However, that's no bad thing, since they added the uber buff to solo players doing the epic group content you can solo that too! \o/

bayr_sl

shitlord
Pretty sure LOTRO has hit sort of a rough patch now that Turbine just churns out new content you have to buy and alternate currencies and other shit to pay for instead of fixing or improving the game. It's among the most memorable MMOs I've played for its size and detailed world and things like the music system. I would definitely play it over the shit we have today if they chose to modernize it a bit

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Not played the game since 2007ish. Downloaded it now, but my lifetime sub is gone due to the shift from Codemasters to Turbine. Apparently there was a 6 month window in 2011 where they transferred the servers, and due to EU privacy laws (Norway is not in the EU, but whatever), they could not apparently check for old subs after that window. Strange how game companies can do that. Take a full purchase and invalidate it upon shifting owners. If a car company bought another car company, say Ford bought Lexus, then suddenly issued a statement that everyone who owns a Lexus needed to send in a new registration slip, or else their car would stop working until they purchased everything again, I am fairly certain it would not be legal to do.

My fault for not paying attention between the update emails which I no longer cared about and the email saying that I would lose my lifetime sub.

Had a level 50 maxed before the first expansion with raid gear and the likes. Funny thing is that the character name is still taken on the server, so the character must be there, but nope. Frist email to tech support was a "please give us a name of a character and the server and we will help". I said it was an EU account, gave the character name and server name. Reply back was simply that they can not do anything with old EU accounts. Even though the character is obviously there.

/sigh

Gorestabb

Have a look for your characters on all the different servers. When I first logged back in I thought I'd lost all my old stuff, but they'd been transferred to a random server.