Lord of the Rings Online

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
Pretty nice leveling guide to get most out of the zones.Lotro Leveling Guide, Where To Go And When
While the epic quest will take you all over the map (and towards the end of Book I, back and forth across huge swathes of Middle Earth until you'll curse the name of Elrond), bear in mind you'll only need half or less of those zones to actually level in, so purchase them accordingly. For example, after Lone Lands you can go Evendim, Forochel and Eregion and you'll be more than ready for Moria. Angmar is fun though with a group at the right level.

Fogia_sl

shitlord
Just dropping by to mention that the best purchase I have made on the LOTRO store is the pocket item which disables exp gain. IMO, this is a must have if you plan to thoroughly enjoy all zones without the fear to overlevel/roflstomp content (including facing challenge while farming or completing deeds), esp. if you are a completionist lone-wolf like me.
Edit: Just a heads up that the pocket item is bound to character, not bound to account ...

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Still rolling with this(and plan to for a while more to see all the content), have core steady group of 4 but could use a few more when we aren't all on together most are 33-35 still.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
What server again and what classes do you still need? Pretty easy to catch up in this game.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Server is Arkenstone, any class welcome.
Current core is Captain(DPS or off tank), Warden(our reluctant MT), Burglar(DPS), Rune-keeper(healer/DPS), Lore-master(DPS/Support). Kemuel has stopped playing his Guardian and Malphaz(hunter) hit 31 or so but we haven't grouped yet. So really any class is welcome.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I'm hungover at work and need a major nap when I get home but I'll roll up a character tonight. Probably will play a Captain, which doesn't have a ton of synergy with your group already having one, but thats one class in this game I've wanted to play but never have. I'll think about it though.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I'm hungover at work and need a major nap when I get home but I'll roll up a character tonight. Probably will play a Captain, which doesn't have a ton of synergy with your group already having one, but thats one class in this game I've wanted to play but never have. I'll think about it though.
Rather have you play what you want and stick around then worry about synergy.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Didn't have a ton of time over the weekend but i'm like lvl 12 or something on Arkenstone with a Captain. I'll look for you guys this week. Characters name is Slaythe.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
What is the draw to the game? Just to see the world? Does it have decent dungeon crawling and/or raids? Just interesting to see it pop up time to time. I haven't played it since release. Someone once told me at work that it reminded them of EQ progression in terms of what you did each day to accomplish a goal. You traveled, grouped to achieve levels and get items. He at least claimed it was the closest thing to a modernized EQ if you played it right. Not sure if he remembers EQ well enough though....

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah sorry about my time lately. I can usually play anytime I just seem to miss the nights when we group. I was going to do the skirmishes with you the other night and my freaking power went out lol. Ever since Sandy living at the NJ shore has been a nightmare with power outages for me. Then I went to Atlantic city with a few FWB for the weekend. I am back now though and will try to check in every night around 8 or 9 EST unless there is a better time to see if you guys are grouping. I am definitely still very interested in playing and grouping. If you guys know ahead of time that you will be grouping that night let me know. If I know ahead of time even a few hours I will 100% be there.

I made a few alts for crafting so you all know. I have scholar, woodworking, tailor, weaponsmith and metalsmith up to the 40-48 tier if anyone wants anything made. I don't need anything for combines just let me know what you want or I can show you what I make. If you want something that is higher level than I am, still tell me and I will get to it the same day no problem.

I have a few questions hopefully some of you guys could help me answer. Where can I find builds/specs for hunter for grouping and solo? I solo fine but I know I could do more with my class. The grouping spec is what I am much more interested in though. I can figure it out on my own but would like some assistance if it is out there. Every spec or build I seem to find online is 3 years old it seems.

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider
What is the draw to the game? Just to see the world? Does it have decent dungeon crawling and/or raids? Just interesting to see it pop up time to time. I haven't played it since release. Someone once told me at work that it reminded them of EQ progression in terms of what you did each day to accomplish a goal. You traveled, grouped to achieve levels and get items. He at least claimed it was the closest thing to a modernized EQ if you played it right. Not sure if he remembers EQ well enough though....
I played LotRO a year after it came out but was mostly solo. I thought about joining a guild but decided to go back to my PVP/Raid guild in EQ2 full time instead. The draw for me is playing some really solid content with a good group. The group is there formed from this website and I doubt there is much we won't be able to do. This is probably the last chance that things will align as well as they are. That is the draw for me to LotRO at this time.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I wouldn't really say this game compares to EQ from a gameplay perspective, but it's the only post-EQ game I've played where I feel like I'm part of the world I'm in. That's a pretty vague description but I think the game designers have just dont a wonderful job of recreating Middle Earth.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I wouldn't really say this game compares to EQ from a gameplay perspective, but it's the only post-EQ game I've played where I feel like I'm part of the world I'm in. That's a pretty vague description but I think the game designers have just dont a wonderful job of recreating Middle Earth.
I agree with this. For example, running through the Shire and seeing actual players standing in fields and farming crops was such a cool experience. The game is certainly "on rails" similar to most WoW-style MMOs these days, but the designers did such an amazing job of capturing Middle Earth that it's easy to get lost in the environments and look past the questing gameplay.

The world is also massive. It always bothered me how in WoW you'd have two opposing fortresses within view of one another (e.g. Hellfire Peninsula). You don't run into that in LOTRO. You'll find yourself traveling some pretty long distances to get from place to place, which helps reinforce the feeling of being in a world as opposed to a game.

If I had the time I'd gladly join you guys. Unfortunately my playtime nowadays is largely limited to only Sat/Sun, and even then it's unpredictable
frown.png

Bruman

Golden Squire
Yep, to see the world. It's very typical 10 bear ass questing (although it has a few modern touches like open tagging and auto-looting). Zones that have been revamped or newer expansions also have a lot of the "auto-quest" stuff where, when out in the field, you'll get a quest auto-granted to you to kill 10 whatevers in the area while you're there (instead of running to quest givers back and forth).

But it's all about seeing an awesome rendition of Middle Earth. There's no real "end game" to speak of anymore (although they do have raid and group content, it's much much secondary to the solo-MMO stuff).

The only thing it has in common (worth noting) to EQ is that I love playing it in first person. The world is "sized" appropriately for it. That said, most people play third person anyways.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
The grouped content remains to be the most interesting, most bosses have a mechanic to them besides tank and spank, the world which I think still looks great combined with the lore is good times. The mobs however vary only slightly in the open world and can get you bored quick if all you do is quest grind. Like GW2 their is lots to do besides killing mobs/questing so I am sticking with it well enough, to be honest though if I didn't have the steady group to do things with I doubt I would have the drive to play it once all the good games come out this and next month
smile.png

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
The grouped content remains to be the most interesting, most bosses have a mechanic to them besides tank and spank, the world which I think still looks great combined with the lore is good times. The mobs however vary only slightly in the open world and can get you bored quick if all you do is quest grind. Like GW2 their is lots to do besides killing mobs/questing so I am sticking with it well enough, to be honest though if I didn't have the steady group to do things with I doubt I would have the drive to play it once all the good games come out this and next month
smile.png
What is the play time anyways I play on pst so I feel like I am always late to the party.