Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
New honing system details:

The upcoming raid boss being released in KR:

1705089039716.png

Last edited:

Raes

Vyemm Raider
One of the main reasons I've never trusted games with cash shops that are related in any way to a percentage chance for something:

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
One of the main reasons I've never trusted games with cash shops that are related in any way to a percentage chance for something:

Not sure why this went in the Lost Ark thread albeit I didn't watch the video? The only reason gacha system in the shop is for legendary skins, which can also be purchased from re-sellers. I I haven't bought anything from the cash shop except for skins in over a year (yoz jar excluded here) simply because there's no point. I would gladly spend a hundred bucks or so to support the game in light of how much value it's brought to me but that 100$ wouldn't even be enough for 2 taps at 1% chance at my level.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Not sure why this went in the Lost Ark thread albeit I didn't watch the video? The only reason gacha system in the shop is for legendary skins, which can also be purchased from re-sellers. I I haven't bought anything from the cash shop except for skins in over a year (yoz jar excluded here) simply because there's no point. I would gladly spend a hundred bucks or so to support the game in light of how much value it's brought to me but that 100$ wouldn't even be enough for 2 taps at 1% chance at my level.

I put it here because I didn't want to start a new thread and Lost Ark is also a Korean MMO, so it's relevant. I'm not accusing Smilegate of anything, but we can be sure Nexon isn't the only company guilty of this, just the first one caught.

It's not just gachas. I can't believe I have to explain this to you of all people. Lost Ark sells gold to players, gold is required to upgrade your gear, upgrades have a percentage chance of success, percentages can be manipulated, lowering percentages secretly can increase your gold sales...

Again, I'm not saying Smilegate has ever been guilty of this, it's just something to be aware of if you play MMO's where it's a possibility.

Cyni

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've failed a 97%, 99% and 99.9% in three sequential hones... not just once either. The percentages they show are total bullshit imo.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I've failed a 97%, 99% and 99.9% in three sequential hones... not just once either. The percentages they show are total bullshit imo.

The problem with percentage chances in an MMO (that most people don't consider) is that since the number generator is server side everyone is sharing rolls, and all the devs usually care about is if the number generator is accurate overall, not per individual. Some games will have a pity mechanic to help balance this. This is why you need a pretty large sample size to get an accurate representation, and why it can be difficult to catch any shenanigans.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
FF14 had the infamous 93% success to gather but you would always streak 3x misses on a node. But if you succeed the next 39 times for 39/42 it's all good right? Or WoW original loot seeds based on first character to enter an instance resulted in many guilds getting the same raid loot week after week because the raid leader entered first. or Everquest changed their raid loot algorithm in PoP? i think it was because the same items were dropping over and over.

On top of gacha percents there's also database adjacent linked variables that would get the same values on server reboots. S rank hunts in FF14 would spawn a random 48-72 hours after maintenance, but depending on which zones had instances we would learn 6 linked pairs existed i.e. the first spawns in Thavnair instance 3 and Garlemald 1 had the exact same time value. So once one of them was triggered you could immediately rush to the other since it was 100% spawnable too.

-----

That patent still wouldn't apply to Korean games brought over to the EU, likely NA as well. Lost Ark simply suffers from using the 3-20% ranges of RNG with the innate statistical problems of computer generated numbers that make 80-97% of people suffer.

If you don't think there are streaks in Lost Ark, you haven't been around for the mokoko seed pulling that announces Lucky ones to the whole server. The bursts of winners instead of spread out ones are very glaring.

Last edited:

Raes

Vyemm Raider
That patent still wouldn't apply to Korean games brought over to the EU, likely NA as well. Lost Ark simply suffers from using the 3-20% ranges of RNG with the innate statistical problems of computer generated numbers that make 80-97% of people suffer.
The patent is irrelevant in that context, I only added it to illustrate the various ways Nexon could adjust percentages. Filing a patent for such things is pants on head retarded. Nor is it necessary to have a patent to utilize such tactics.

The main point is that when there is a financial incentive to do something shady and secret some people will do it. This exact shit is something I've been wary of since this kind of P2W percentage chance shit was introduced to MMOs. As a personal anecdote, when I worked at Zynga the devs who worked on their poker game (in which the company sold play chips to players) increased the likelihood of face cards being dealt to increase betting.

I don't really care about devs adjusting drop percentages in subscription based MMOs. It's only a serious problem when it's a direct cash/gambling mechanic.

South Korea did pass a law to force companies to reveal their percentages to players, as mentioned in the video, so it's probably less of a factor now. And with Nexon getting busted, any others who are guilty of this will probably clean up their act, or at least be more careful about it... maybe. Nexon has mad 400 million USD selling loot boxes in Maplestory, but were only fined 9 mil, so it's still a win for them.

Del

Vyemm Raider
God has forsaken me.

Just kidding. Grats man. Hopefully I get lucky this week.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
welp, that's enough for me, finally quitting, so many ass things about this game

no supports, garbage rng on every fucking thing, constantly gatekept despite being giga juiced

literally the only good thing about this game is the combat but the negatives far outweigh the positives at this point, was fun for a while

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 2 users

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
God has forsaken me.

Just kidding. Grats man. Hopefully I get lucky this week.

Wishing you luck. Elixir cutting is expensive but it's a lot of fun and less RNG than most of the other systems. I'm glad to be done with it so I can start saving my gold for the 1630-1640 push for Thaemine.

Also got my Artist to 1600. I'm going to shelve my Zerker in favor of a Breaker in March and started saving mats. Seeing some of the upcoming content from KR has me pretty pumped for the future.

1705639657319.png

Edit:

Saw this on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/media?url=https://i.redd.it/ss8lkite4adc1.gif

Last edited:

Del

Vyemm Raider
welp, that's enough for me, finally quitting, so many ass things about this game

no supports, garbage rng on every fucking thing, constantly gatekept despite being giga juiced

literally the only good thing about this game is the combat but the negatives far outweigh the positives at this point, was fun for a while
RIP

I remember you joining my statics group one time when I was on my paladin. Was fun playing with you even if it was only brief.