Lucasarts shut down.

Caliane

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...lucasarts.aspx

So this is how it went down in my head.

Disney: Hey Lucasarts, check out Capcom making our Ducktales game and all that press it got. sounds awesome.
Why don't you guys make Xwing vs Tiefighter HD?
Lucasarts: Fuck you disney, we are making this shitty corridor shooter, and we like it that way.
Disney: ok, you are all fired. And we are going to hire a 3rd party dev to license out xwing vs tiefighter too. Also Grim fandango.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
I hope my Dreams of a Tie Fighter Sequel didn't die with the company. Someone Pick it up Plz...

Caliane

"The last game published by LucasArts as a company is the sub-par Kinect Star Wars."

A fitting end? rofl....

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
At first I was pretty shocked and disappointed, but thinking about it, what's the last good game LucasArts has developed? It certainly wasn't a recent Star Wars game, and that's pretty much all they've done. The best Star Wars games I can think of in the last decade were developed by BioWare (KotOR), Traveller's Tales (LEGO Star Wars), Battlefront series (Pandemic), or Jedi Outcast/Academy (Raven Software).

Realistically, licensing out to other studios is probably the best move for Disney to make, especially since some were speculating that, if Disney shuttered LucasArts, it would be to bring all development internal and fold it into Disney Interactive. I just hope the licensing isn't just limited to Star Wars and Indiana Jones. Telltale has talked in the past about wanting to do a Day of the Tentacle game, and it'd be awesome to see them license out Monkey Island to Ron Gilbert so he can finally finish the story.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's being alleged that Disney tried to sell the licensing to other studios for their games that are yet to come out and no one wants them. Not sure about some of their older titles that could be re-made, but no dice on games currently being worked on.

Plaid_sl

shitlord
Best game lucasarts created imho

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wa...Dark_Forces_II

I put in an incredible amount of hours playing this on microsoft zone. It had such a tight knit community and a fun competitive ladder. This game had revered elite players like I've never seen in any other game. I still remember a couple of their names....Jeb, luke18, hexen. I'd say I was top 10 full force players at one point. I played against Jeb during this time. I had been begging him for a game for several weeks. He finally agreed and we played to 100 kills. The score ended up being 100- -11. Before this I didn't understand the skill level some people can get to in games.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
What the fuck are you people talking about? You're either young as shit or ignorant as shit. Probably both, as one often goes with the other. But regardless:

DAY OF THE FUCKING TENTACLE, Escape from Monkey Island hello? Grim Fandango, SAM & FUCKING MAX, Tie Fighter, X-Wing.

Another awesome studio gone thanks to this piece of shit industry.

Caliane

What the fuck are you people talking about? You're either young as shit or ignorant as shit. Probably both, as one often goes with the other. But regardless:

DAY OF THE FUCKING TENTACLE, Escape from Monkey Island hello? Grim Fandango, SAM & FUCKING MAX, Tie Fighter, X-Wing.

haha. yeah. 15 years ago they were good. Its been a shell of itself for over a decade.

while Lego starwars, Bioware's knights of the old republic.. Licensed games.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger

Let me take this one for the board.

Day of the Tentacle (1993)
Escape from Monkey Island (2000)
Grim Fandango (1998)
Sam & Max (1993)
Tie Fighter (1994)
X-Wing (1993)

Most of those games are twenty fucking years old. Get it?

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
they haven't made a good game in a long while though, back in the day lucas arts was a gold standard but they weren't really doing their own name any favors with what they where putting out.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider

How's ranting about Richard Garriot going these days ?

2 of the games you quoted were sold to other studios anyway and got sequels now and the best Star Wars games were made by Bioware/Raven anyway (IMO). This is hardly surprising.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Pretty sure just about every single designer who ever made a remotely good LucasArts game no longer works there and hasn't for a long time.

Darshu_sl

shitlord
I hope my Dreams of a Tie Fighter Sequel didn't die with the company. Someone Pick it up Plz...
The properties can be licensed. Hope is not dead fellow space combat enthusiast. If only there was a similar option for Freespace 3 as well.
RIP space combat games. Its was good run when you had a spot with the "in crowd".

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
wait at minute.

ESCAPE from monkey island? that better be a typo.
Haha this is what went through my head. I am guessing (Hoping) he meant Curse of Monkey Island.

With that said, yeah LA hasn't been a decent game in a LONG time and have actually hampered anything remotely licensable from other studios that would have been fun to play. Disney retains the rights, sheds the negative connotation of Lucasarts, rename it something else or nothing at all, license out the IP's for cheap (Other than SW - but loosen up the grip on that one) and away you go. Free cash.

I would love to see a new Grim, Full Throttle, Monkey Island .... Wait nevermind. Telltale does all of this better now. Give them the IPs