Lumi's Batshit Insane Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
This is an old man with early stage dementia. Ignore him.

These are young, verile men who have just done something amazing. They look so happy. Thrilled. Nothing wrong here. Totally legit, normal press conference.

Last edited:

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Ok so obviously I dont actually believe the Earth is flat, but I have to admit I'm open to the idea of it.

If someone could indulge me, please explain why airline pilots, or any observer at high altitude with a clear view out to the horizon cannot see the curvature of the Earth?

Perhaps there is a scientific explanation for this, but it is the most salient argument point flat earthers have IMO. Also, in theory, airplanes should have to pitch their flight trajectory downward about 5 degrees every so often in order to stay at cruising altitude, yet dont.

And lastly, flight paths. Why THE FUCK does a flight from Sydney Australia pass along a route through North America in order to get to south America? The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, yet looking at ALL flight itineraries you can clearly see they all route UP to the mainland US before making the turn south into South America.

If you look at a flat earth map that route makes sense. On a globe it makes zero fucking sense. Again maybe there is some "scientific explanation", like maybe they do that in order to stay on a more safe path where they can feasibly land in the event of an emergency, but other than that what is the explanation?

Maybe these are retarded questions, but when you think of composite images, uncanny coincidences concerning NASA imagery in regards to non LEO missions, there is just a lot of interesting data to be looked at. It's hard to take serious but it is pretty fun to imagine and consider, no matter how fantastical.

The big bang theory is far more fantastical than thinking the place we live is flat.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
I'm so bummed no one engaged with me! The only reply I received was "I didn't read your post because if you're a believer you suffer from a mental issue". Great counter-argument, thanks for that. Considering what thread I'm in..... I can only LoL

This is an old man with early stage dementia. Ignore him.

He misspoke and/or it came out wrong. Maybe he meant "we didn't go there" meaning "we didn't return". Why expound on that about funding more/better rockets and saying that "something stopped in the past and we wanted to keep it going"? He also admitted we achieved what Kennedy wanted... i.e. putting a man on the moon... not 'fooling the world into thinking we went'.

NASA isn't just the one organization that went to the moon. The U.S., Russia, and China all went. It'd be hard enough to keep a conspiracy going in ONE organization but you honestly think multiple conspiracy theories with multiple nations without ANY deathbed or profit-hungry leaks between literally thousands of people involved would occur? As Neil Degrasse Tyson has said, "It's easier to PUT a man on the moon than it is to FAKE putting a man on the moon" and he didn't mean production-wise, he meant not having the conspiracy leak between said thousands of people involved.

But as conspiracy theorists usually are... trying to get you to see it rationally is a brick-wall type of exercise and I fully anticipate more videos posted and/or insults launched my way. I feel ya, and that's kinda why I posted... I like a good debate :p

If someone could indulge me, please explain why airline pilots, or any observer at high altitude with a clear view out to the horizon cannot see the curvature of the Earth?

A typical commercial jet (most standard flights) cruises at around 28-35,000ft (up to 6.6 miles of altitude).
Weather balloons can rise to an altitude of 24 miles (39 kilometers) or more before they burst.

That's only 1/4 the height a weather balloon can travel and even weather balloon height can't get a very VERY noticeable curvature happening... you still need many more miles up to have it be extremely appreciable. Ever see video from the ISS? That's 254 miles up:

main-qimg-b12d960c5363c546c58ae87dce24ae3a.jpg

How much clearer can it be? Or rather, in conspiracy theorists minds, how much mental gymnastics does one need to do to refute it?

Lastly,

This video was from a weather balloon. I took stills from immediately after takeoff to right before the balloon burst and descent happened. I had to rotate the image in gimp to get it straight with the straight lines but as you can see:

flat earth 01.jpg

Even at only ~14 miles up, the curvature is noticeable and I included the curvature of the takeoff for comparison to show the variance of fish-eye involved.

And lastly, flight paths. Why THE FUCK does a flight from Sydney Australia pass along a route through North America in order to get to south America? The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, yet looking at ALL flight itineraries you can clearly see they all route UP to the mainland US before making the turn south into South America.

I don't know what flight paths you're looking at.. here is QUANTAS path from Sydney to South America

aussoutham.jpg

It's curved because the earth is not a perfectly round ball... there's a bulge in the equator. To complicate things we're not going through space perfectly upright, we are tilted which accounts for the seasons as we orbit around the sun. We don't get "closer" to the sun during summer as much as we are more in a direct line to it relative to the axis and at the largest tilt away from it during the winter. V-Sauce had an excellent video on all this (you can hunt for it if you wish).

Why do these flights have the same duration according to FE? <-- link to debunk flight path shit.

I'm not trying to insult anyone who believes this stuff because my belief in God can be equally reaching for many atheists/agnostics so I get it, but at the same time, the evidence of a round earth is not just overwhelming, it is what can only be deduced to be an undisputed fact of reality. But I think the explanation of "why" FEs believe it is because:

That's a common problem in conspiracy theorists. Believing in a conspiracy massively increases the chances you believe in others, because the source belief isn't from the conspiracy, it's from within yourself.

I find this to be a profound quote by Ukerric and makes perfect sense to me.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jozu

I never said I believed it, obviously I know the fucking Earth is a sphere.

It is just interesting to delve into all of the ridiculous aspects of flat earth theory. All of the evidence you presented is the same mainstream data that has been put forth time and time again.

I'm not saying it's not true, just that it really fucks you up if you allow yourself to wonder if all of the official data and "evidence" is actually real.

The flat earth theory is more about the government being deceptive and part of a grand scheme in order to keep us enthralled than it is about the shape of the Earth.

If they can get you to believe the Earth is flat and the government are just a bunch of liars, then you will believe anything yet believe nothing at the same time.

Truly batshit insane stuff.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I stopped reading after you said you believe Bible scripture.

Anyone who believes that drivel is either autistic, mentally compromised, low brain function or brainwashed.

Ok so obviously I dont actually believe the Earth is flat, but I have to admit I'm open to the idea of it

this is why this thread is a+

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Jozu

Hey man, 43% of Americans believe that Jesus Christ will come down from above (after already living, dying, rez'd, then kind of died again) riding a white horse to slay the wicked and bring forth the end times on Earth, IN THIER LIFETIME.

Even being open to the IDEA of that is preposterous, but being willing to maybe think that big government and the ultra rich/elite are corrupt actors who have led us to believe in a false reality is somehow more far fetched?

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Hey man, 43% of Americans believe that Jesus Christ will come down from above (after already living, dying, rez'd, then kind of died again) riding a white horse to slay the wicked and bring forth the end times on Earth, IN THIER LIFETIME.

Even being open to the IDEA of that is preposterous, but being willing to maybe think that big government and the ultra rich/elite are corrupt actors who have led us to believe in a false reality is somehow more far fetched?

as an agnostic, yes, the idea of a higher power is much less far fetched then the idea of the earth being flat

especially considering one is provable and the other is not....

but you do you jozu

• 2Solidarity

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
ultra rich/elite are corrupt actors who have led us to believe in a false reality is somehow more far fetched?

Yes. I think Islam is a complete bunch of shit but I can't prove it is false. Most conspiracies have other strong evidence against their existence.

Ever watched video from the ISS and Elon's space agency long enough to notice the clouds don't move? Hours of film, static clouds.

The ISS orbits the earth at 17,000 mph every 90 minutes which means in a 24 hour earth day, the ISS will see 16 sunrises and sunsets... wrap your head around that. If it was "fixed" in place, I 100% guarantee that you would see clouds moving relative to the physical land of earth below but the ISS is orbiting earth at an incredible speed itself... MUCH faster than the clouds that move about 30-100 mph below. If you were on a train going 60mph passing by and someone was walking slowly (at the speed cloud formations move in a relative sense), it would appear that the person was not moving at all, and the person is a small singular object, not a "blanket" like clouds are. imagine then a large tarp moving as slow as clouds move. What is our field of view from earth looking up literally miles up in the sky... maybe like 20 miles(ish) from horizon to horizon? Look how SLOW clouds roll across the sky in a 20 mile field of view from below. You think the ISS that is travelling above them 250 miles up and going at a speed of 5 miles per SECOND is going to see cloud movement???

Here's a broad question... why do most conspiracy theories hinge on the notion of human agencies/authorities that lie and decieve? It seems rampant mistrust is at the heart of a lot of these theories.

• 1Like

Korillo

Molten Core Raider
Here's a broad question... why do most conspiracy theories hinge on the notion of human agencies/authorities that lie and decieve? It seems rampant mistrust is at the heart of a lot of these theories.

To get someone to believe something, you typically need to provide evidence or proof. Conspiracy theories don't generally have an abundance of evidence in their favour available to them. If they did, it probably wouldn't be a conspiracy theory, but rather just a workable, acceptable theory.

Due to this, the next best option is to engage someone from a somewhat emotional perspective. Everyone has been lied to by someone in their life before. Many people have also been deceived before. You can even think of small, easy examples such as magic tricks. Most people see a magic trick and understand they are being deceived, but don't fully understand how. The important thing to note here, however, is the only reason they know they are being deceived is that they are told ahead of time.

So, a good conspiracy theory will use the concept of deception to their advantage. People who provide information to the public would never tell you ahead of time that they are lying to you, why would they? You wouldn't listen to them if they did that, and further to that, you expect them to tell you the truth. You could even say that you rely on them telling the truth. So, all you really have to do to start a good conspiracy theory is find some information that you can convince people is untrustworthy. It doesn't even have to be related to your conspiracy. All you have to do is prove to people that you can't trust the authority figure. "Look, they have been performing a magic trick this whole time, and here's how they did it."

In most cases, this is easily achieved. What government, agency or authority hasn't ever been involved in any kind of scandal, or been caught lying, or doing any number of deceptive things? If they have done it once, why wouldn't they do it again?

After that, the amount of evidence or proof you need to convince someone is a lot smaller. You've already got them somewhat on your side, they've started shaking their head yes and are more likely to keep listening to whatever you have to say next.

Now, that isn't to say you don't need SOME evidence on your side. You need something that is at least tangible to continue your conspiracy. But starting with lies & deception is a good way to get the ball rolling.

Or at least that is why I think so many depend on it. I generally like conspiracy theories, they are usually entertaining.

• 1Like

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
"Conspiracy Theory" is a pejorative created in the 1960's by the CIA to slander anyone who questioned the official government narrative of the JFK assassination as "paranoid".

The media is a monster with a million mouths and one message.

What happens when you analyze their unified message? Why are they saying what they're saying? What is their motive? What have the lied about? Why did they lie?

Question's_web.png

It all leads back to one thing...

F8reXuE.jpg

The earth is flat.

Last edited:
  • 3Worf
  • 2Picard
  • 2Like
Reactions: 6 users

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
One of my best friends worked in the news. I'd literally hang out in the back in the news station during a live broadcast; it's neat. I've walked around the control room (just like the movies... so many monitors!), the actual news set, saw the big ass cameras, the stage lighting. I'd walk by the office spaces and see a_locally_famous_anchor_01 sitting at the computer doing... y'know, I guess journalist shit or checking their facebook, who knows. It's no big deal.

Yes the news is scripted... hence, the existence of teleprompters. Everything is scripted... the camera guys have a script, the audio engineers have a script, the control room people have a script. It's needed so that the live broadcast isn't a chaotic mess. They're not just getting up there live in front of hundreds of thousands of local news watchers and winging it.

As far as multiple news outlets saying the same thing... local news agencies have parent companies and/or affiliates or whatever it's called. It'd be akin to the HR department sending an office wide memo to everyone if they wanted to share something. Is that a conspiracy and proof of Illuminati or just a blanket statement shared throughout the whole network?

Furthermore, if this is true that it's all one big, evil, singular-minded illuminati controlling the media, why take the time to make statements as banal as "a child's happiness is priceless" and "Mike Meyer's says Yeah Baby"? Don't you think the goal would be something more along the lines of something less trite? Find me quotes of this that are, like, "Donate your money and soul to Zoyzerk the Destroyer or he WILL find you. We... will find you" and you'll have something a bit more questionable that rational people would find concern over.

P.S. Someone catch me up... why was Lumie banned? ...and will that ban ever be lifted?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
P.S. Someone catch me up... why was Lumie banned? ...and will that ban ever be lifted?

Near constant aggression spread across multiple threads. This thread was created to quarantine his crazy shit, but he ended up not being able to control himself. Numerous bans and Rickshaws over the years were never enough to teach him to calm his shit, and so the staff decided a permaban was the only solution.

• 1Barf
  • 1Like

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
Near constant aggression spread across multiple threads. This thread was created to quarantine his crazy shit, but he ended up not being able to control himself. Numerous bans and Rickshaws over the years were never enough to teach him to calm his shit, and so the staff decided a permaban was the only solution.

not a good enuf reason, free lumi

• 2Solidarity

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
AjD4XQhnSTCHTsexdmRN_p1.gif

Imagine how this works at the equator.

Checkmate, Ball Earthers.

Last edited:
  • 2Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users