Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Would be sweet if it won and got some rerelease time in theaters, missed it on the big screen.
AMCs tend to rerun the best picture nominees in the weeks running up to the oscars. I know they do a giant marathon of all the movies; but the ones that were commercial successes, I believe they just put back on a few showings a day

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
In likelihood it's not going to win best picture, that will go to some arty drama snore fest.

It's like the academy needs to show their intellectual superiority.

I'd be very happy to be proven wrong though . . . thinking back, the LOTR Return of the King won best picture so perhaps.

Caliane

yeah. I definitely think RoTK was the worst of the three. I don't remember the competition for each year, but my money would have been on Fellowship.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
yeah. I definitely think RoTK was the worst of the three. I don't remember the competition for each year, but my money would have been on Fellowship.
Agreed. ROTK was a make up Oscar because The Fellowship didn't win it and should have, and Peter Jackson got his Oscar, basically for the work he did on all three. I hope MM:FR wins best picture. I'm probably in the minority, but I'm one of the people that thinks the critics do get it right most of the time. Of course, there are always going to be head scratching years (Titanic winning over Good Will Hunting comes to mind), but I do think they get it right more than they get it wrong. I'd like to be pleasantly surprised this year, however and see Mad Max take home the Oscar (and Miller sprays it shiny and chrome on stage!!!).

Caliane

Yeah, I don't see how Fury Road doesn't clean house with its noms.
Best Picture is the only one, with any real competition imho.

Warrig robbed of her Best supporting Actress nom.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Funnily enough I just watched this yesterday, and here is an unpopular opinion - its a turd.
We watched it last night, and couldn't believe how overblown this movie was. Nominated for movie of the year, and a 90% on metacritic and 97 on rotten tomatoes. What am I missing here? All they did was drive in one direction, and then turn back around and drive in the other.

This was not a troll post, I just don't see what all the hype was about. It was a serviceable action movie at best, and NOT movie of the year quality.

Aydenn

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think it has a lot to do with the effects not being all CGI'd out. A return to practical effects makes people moist.

I thought it was a fun movie, but yah, not movie of the year.

Sulrn

Deuces
We watched it last night, and couldn't believe how overblown this movie was. Nominated for movie of the year, and a 90% on metacritic and 97 on rotten tomatoes. What am I missing here? All they did was drive in one direction, and then turn back around and drive in the other.

This was not a troll post, I just don't see what all the hype was about. It was a serviceable action movie at best, and NOT movie of the year quality.
It has a lot to do in comparison with the state of Hollywood itself - the movie is not that imaginative or even emotionally engaging, but it's straight entertaining visually and audibly. It's a movie that was designed to be a raw, unforgiving disconnect from the real word. It's the first action movie I can think of that reminds me of pre-Columbine Hollywood, and I'm fairly certain I'm not the only person that felt that way when watching it. Aydenn hit on a secondary point - directors are too quick to use computers to generate a scene and expose their lack of artistic vision when composing a shot. Part of the magic of Fury Road comes from having a director with an image in mind and trying to capture that in a real way - something you can't do in a studio with a backdrop and it shows.

Itzena_sl

shitlord

Bv7y62Y.png

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I think it has a lot to do with the effects not being all CGI'd out. A return to practical effects makes people moist.
Even to the point that the Doof Wagon/Doof Warrior was fully functional.. guy was hanging from a marshall stack by bunjee cords actually playing guitar while driving through the desert... George Miller is a mad genius. Just imagine how much fun they must have had making this movie.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

Movie is amazing because;

1) Its straight to the point with no retardation thrown in or dumbass out of left field surprises. Its like Dredd, its only trying to do one thing and it sticks to it.
2) Amazing visuals that are actual visuals.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm

Still think Mad Max 2 is waaaaaaay better.

joz123

Potato del Grande
Fury Road or Revenant really deserve best picture but it will probably go to some shit like Brooklyn.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Mad Max Fury Road is notable for it's distinct lack of melodrama, and for it's lack of overblown forced agenda, and for it's lack of dumb gimmick like shooting all in one take or over the course of a decade (though an argument could me made that good old fashioned filming on locations and without a ton of CGI is a gimmick these days), and for it's lack of overwrought dialog where characters preach to the academy, etc. It was just an entertaining, well made, cohesive movie that executed a vision without a shred of pandering, agenda or pretentiousness.

I think Hollywood has become such shit for so long that a lot of people don't even realize how difficult and amazing the movie is from a production standpoint. Reminds me of the people I've seen confused why they specifically shot scenes for the black and white version instead of just turning off color in post production. We're dealing with an industry and population so dumb they're confused when a movie is shot with black and white in mind and we get shit like AMC broadcasting The Walking Dead in greyscale like it's the same thing as being shot in black and white.

If you watched Fury Road and perceive it as little more than a serviceable action movie that doesn't live up to the hype, you're doing it wrong.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Mad Max Fury Road is notable for it's distinct lack of melodrama, and for it's lack of overblown forced agenda, and for it's lack of dumb gimmick like shooting all in one take or over the course of a decade (though an argument could me made that good old fashioned filming on locations and without a ton of CGI is a gimmick these days), and for it's lack of overwrought dialog where characters preach to the academy, etc. It was just an entertaining, well made, cohesive movie that executed a vision without a shred of pandering, agenda or pretentiousness.

I think Hollywood has become such shit for so long that a lot of people don't even realize how difficult and amazing the movie is from a production standpoint. Reminds me of the people I've seen confused why they specifically shot scenes for the black and white version instead of just turning off color in post production. We're dealing with an industry and population so dumb they're confused when a movie is shot with black and white in mind and we get shit like AMC broadcasting The Walking Dead in greyscale like it's the same thing as being shot in black and white.

If you watched Fury Road and perceive it as little more than a serviceable action movie that doesn't live up to the hype, you're doing it wrong.
I get it. Movie of the year, I don't get. It was not at that level.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I get it. Movie of the year, I don't get. It was not at that level.
I don't think you do get it.

What am I missing here? All they did was drive in one direction, and then turn back around and drive in the other.
I think there's probably a lot of things you don't get.

There's a big drop from you not thinking it's best picture quality and saying all they did was drive around and that it was simply a serviceable action movie. The latter two points being what I focused on, because I can respect someone making an argument it shouldn't have been nominated for best picture, but saying they just drove back and forth and it was just a serviceable action movie that didn't live up to the hype makes me think your own personal hype meter was off the charts out of whack or it just wasn't your cup of tea (polite way of saying you're a pretentious dumbfuck?).

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>

My favorite thing about this movie, especially in comparison to most other modern cinema, was how much lore is revealed with a complete lack of exposition.

I can sort of see where you're coming from in that on the surface this was just kind of a straight action film, but I think the beauty of it is simply that. It was a really good, legitimate, action film and it didn't pander to anyone.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't think you do get it.

I think there's probably a lot of things you don't get.

There's a big drop from you not thinking it's best picture quality and saying all they did was drive around and that it was simply a serviceable action movie. The latter two points being what I focused on, because I can respect someone making an argument it shouldn't have been nominated for best picture, but saying they just drove back and forth and it was just a serviceable action movie that didn't live up to the hype makes me think your own personal hype meter was off the charts out of whack or it just wasn't your cup of tea (polite way of saying you're a pretentious dumbfuck?).
You guys hyped this movie up to be the second coming of Jesus Christ. There's no way it could live up to the hype.