Mad Men

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
also little easter egg, joan's company name is Holloway Harris. Holloway is her maiden name, so its just a 1 woman shop
That's an easter egg? She mentioned needing 2 names with Peggy and everyone should remember what her maiden name was before she married.

I was initially really disappointed with Don's ending ... until that old Coke ad faded into view. That's one of those iconic commercials for people old enough to remember it. It sorta hung out there as the credits rolled. Did he go back and employ his New Age understanding to his work or was it some other ad man who had their hand on that particular cultural pulse? I thought that unanswered question was a fitting way to go out for Don. A hell of a lot better than the notion of him just finding inner peace in a commune and wandering the earth the rest of his days.

I agree the Peggy and Stan love-out-of-nowhere was poorly done and awkward.

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
They were building to Peggy and Stan all season. One episode they just hung out on the phone in silence together. Even in past seasons, Peggy was always calling Stan for help. It's how we learned Stan has a code word for when he has a girl in his bed.

They also set up the ending with the Coke ad all season as well. One of the Uproxx guys joked about it in April.

Did Don Draper Create The Commercial?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I definitely took it to mean that Don took a look over the cliff and then went back to McCann (and hopefully his children) and made the hippy Coke ad. I liked the finale quite a bit.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I don't think the ending is very ambiguous other than us not getting an actual scene of him walking back into the Mccann offices. He turns his back to the ocean. He's facing east. He gets a little smirk on his face and then that ad rolls. Mccann Erickson is the firm that actually released that ad in real life and the people in the commercial look exactly like the hippies he was just around. There's one girl in pigtails that's a dead ringer for the receptionist that checked him into the commune (this one I pulled from the internet I wouldn't have noticed that level of detail myself).

There's also everything that happened with Coke in these last seven episodes. Fixing the vending machine. Joan trying some of the real stuff. I think there were more.

As far as him reaching some level of inner peace? Maybe. He's back to fully embracing Don though...not being truly happy as Dick in California. I just kind of took it as this is the Don we know. We've seen this same behavior from him before. I would have loved the closure of the series ending with him at the bus stop, Dick rather than Don, presumably on his way to the west coast, but Weiner gave us the opposite. It's just as good, it's just not as fulfilling.

Peggy and Stan felt a little forced, but it's ok to give us a happy ending for her. Those two have been a great on screen "couple" since Stan was first introduced. The I love you scene might have just been fan service.

Personally I was fine with the ending we got for everyone in the previous two episodes and would have been ok with this episode being 100% Don.

I said above I had mixed feelings about the ending after first finishing it. 12 hours later here and I'm less conflicted. I might have preferred something different, but this was fitting and it certainly doesn't change my opinion of the show as a whole like some other finales have in the past.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is kind of finale you need hours / days to process. At first I was like "so ?" and then I've thought about it and I'm okay with everything. I'm also with the "he got back to McCann and did the ad" theory mostly because of his smirk (didn't know McCann did it IRL). I guess regarding Don, the message is something like "some people can't find inner peace, they just have to pretend".

Royal

I don't think the ending is very ambiguous other than us not getting an actual scene of him walking back into the Mccann offices.
The person that Don reached out to at his lowest and most desperate moment, Peggy, was still at McCann at the close. I think he would have maintained that relationship even if he never went back to his old life. Did the Coke account get tossed to her after she proved her value to the company and she gave life to an idea that came from Don? Don returning to do it is only the easiest assumption.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
He went back. Jim Hobart called Don his white whale after spending nearly a decade of chasing him. McCann will get over a little unplanned vacation.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
The person that Don reached out to at his lowest and most desperate moment, Peggy, was still at McCann at the close. I think he would have maintained that relationship even if he never went back to his old life. Did the Coke account get tossed to her after she proved her value to the company and she gave life to an idea that came from Don? Don returning to do it is only the easiest assumption.
Easiest and by far most likely, I think.

But let's examine your scenario a bit. That commercial airs three months after the show ends. Peggy is given creative control over an ad for the firms biggest client in a matter of months? Especially after what we've seen about McCann and their views on women in the workplace? I think that interpretation is decidedly unlikely.

MaulNutz_sl

shitlord
Show should have ended with Don coming back to NY to do the Coke commercial and upon completion with everyone sucking his dick calling him a genius hes like peace out and jumps out a window with a smile on his face.

iannis

Musty Nester
I would have liked the bus stop ending more, but that sorta fits too.

I wanted him to buy a farm and peace out, but it's true enough as an epilogue goes. The sort of man that Don is just doesn't know how to quit even when quitting would be the best thing possible. I look at it sort of as they're saying something about the compulsion of art. Don is a very vague sort of artist.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
They were building to Peggy and Stan all season. One episode they just hung out on the phone in silence together. Even in past seasons, Peggy was always calling Stan for help. It's how we learned Stan has a code word for when he has a girl in his bed.
There's been sexual tension between the two of them since the moment Stan was introduced in the series. The first account they worked on together resulted in the two of them stripping down in front of each other. I didn't find it the least bit surprising that they'd end up together, and Peggy not even realizing she was in love with Stan until his confession is very in character for her. Peggy's never exactly been in-tune with her feelings.

As far as him reaching some level of inner peace? Maybe. He's back to fully embracing Don though...not being truly happy as Dick in California. I just kind of took it as this is the Don we know. We've seen this same behavior from him before. I would have loved the closure of the series ending with him at the bus stop, Dick rather than Don, presumably on his way to the west coast, but Weiner gave us the opposite. It's just as good, it's just not as fulfilling.
My interpretation is that Don doesn't leave California as either Don or Dick. The finale is him coming to the realization that he's not one or the other. He's spent the past decade pretending to be someone he's not, hiding from his past and his sins. In the past couple of seasons, he tried to shed the Don persona and be more honest about who he is, and while that brought him close to Sally, it also caused him to be pushed out of SCDP and lead to one his lowest points. Don has struggled with fully committing to the lie and having happiness that is just as much of a fabrication or giving up the lie along with all of his accomplishments.

Don's journey isn't just about him facing his past, but also him realizing that his life hasn't been a complete sham. Don and Dick have become so intrinsically linked that he can't live life as one or the other. They are both a part of who he is, and he finally comes to that realization. He can be Dick but still be a successful ad man. He can be Don and still be honest and potentially happy. Like the Coke commercial says, he can live "in perfect harmony".

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I don't think it matters whether or not Don went back and made the ad. Throughout the show they talk about meaning in their work, and after Don gives up all his masks and guards and shit, his fake, real, and adopted families, then he has peace. And we get this vision of the ad that had meaning, that created a lasting impact. Whether Don goes back to advertising is kind of counter to the point that (i think) it was trying to make.

I don't know, I was glad to have a more or less happy ending for everyone. Everything is so fucking dark these days, just let the characters we love and identify with have a nice meal or a shoulder rub or something.

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah. I don't think it really matters either.

Peggy finds love, Joan finds independence. And Roger gets the final show stealer. "He's a rich little bastard. Hey. That's actually true, isn't it?"

Royal

If you'd have told me at the end of S1 that years later I'd be glad to see a happy ending for Pete Campbell I'd have strongly doubted it. Could probably have said that at the end of the first half of the entire series. But I was probably more satisfied with his ending than I was with anyone's.

Betty's ending wasn't a happy one though. She was on her way to becoming a smoking statistic, with some irony in that Don had played a part in furthering the cause of the tobacco industry.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
It was and it wasn't. Her death is tragic but the closure she finally got with Don and the way she was asserting herself, and her relationship with Sally, those are all good things. Sucks that she has to die to get them, but it is what it is.

iannis

Musty Nester
It was only happy in the way that she had Sally right behind her washing dishes. It would have been so, so very sad if sally hadn't been in that scene. And Betty's whole "I watched my mother die, I'm not going to do that to you". Betty will keep on living right up until the moment that she stops.

Even BETTY had an arc. It's tragic and noble in its way.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
I think the takeaway is that Don is Coke. He is the thing that united everyone around him and made their dreams possible.

Peggy wouldn't be where she was without Don to spur her into being awesome at what she does. Ditto Pete, ditto Joan. Roger wouldn't have met his future wife if not for Don. Sally wouldn't have grown into the woman she became.

Don didn't necessarily work selflessly to make all these dreams possible, no. A lot of it was happenstance, or people succeeding in response to Don being an asshole. But regardless, Don is the common link. He is the magical togetherness-power that the Coke commercial wishes Coke actually was.

The Coke ad is Mad Men's response to Don's assertion that he made nothing of his life, and was an echo of Peggy's rebuttal that yes, he did. The world, at least as regards this handful of people, is a better place because Don was in it.

Now, Don is in a new place. He can start over. He's not Dick and he's not Don. He doesn't have the shadow of his father looming over him, he doesn't have the spectre of the man whose life he stole. He is a blank slate, and he can write on that slate whatever he wishes.

I don't think he'll go back to advertising. That was Don's world, and I think he's done with that. Don didn't make the Coke ad. He just made the Coke ad possible..

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Someone is looking too hard for something profound.
Yup. People are always trying to identify all kinds of crazy symbolism in this show. It's just a good story about some advertising dudes.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
Yup. People are always trying to identify all kinds of crazy symbolism in this show. It's just a good story about some advertising dudes.
Yep, and I love that they stayed away from having anyone actually involved in shit as theorized like the Manson murders, Woodstock, etc. This is Mad Men, not Forrest Gump.