Magic: Legends

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Xevy

Log Wizard
Because they need to be "generated" currently and they can't do that on the fly on mob death. That's why static positions such as Rituals and the Heist reward stands have them. They don't have it set to generate the loot on mob death which is an entirely different thing. I'm guessing that's next, but they'd have to dial back a LOT of loot or else they're just hurting their databases twice as bad making it explode shit AND roll items on death.

Xevy

Log Wizard
5 password resets later I figured it out. On the Arc launcher they say "account name" which is not what you want. You want your email not the account name. I found that out by resetting my passwords a billion times, then testing it on the Arc main page which says "enter account name or email" so I entered my email and it worked. So then I thought to enter my email where it says "account name" and it got in. Not sure I even want to at this point, but jesus fuck. They even give you an account name and number like Battlenet like Username#8849, but it does nothing for actually logging in.

I watched Mathil play it a bit and I've got other stuff to play right now so I'm not sure I'll bother. It looked to me like D3 with more layers to your character. I suppose that could be really good if it isn't a Pay2win mess based on getting good cards by buying packs.

At least they have an Auction House!

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
I'll go ahead and say it, this game plays like ass. It's somewhere behind Torchlight 3 and that's not a good thing.

The spell effects are the one bright spot, everything else is either average or below average. Performance is a joke. I have a beefy machine and it struggles with this shitshow.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Oh yeah it's really bad. They had every possible advantage in a pre-existing body of art and content as well as a well established genre and somehow made something terrible. Even discounting the engine, which is garbage, the whole concept is bankrupt with the random draws of spells that land in whatever slot. Don't even get me started on the incredibly monotone iconography that makes many of the spells indistinct from one another.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I don’t like the random ability horseshit either. The constant looking too see what button is where is a horrible design decision. Maybe they mean for you to just press all the buttons?

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
I'm liking it. Looking past the fact it plays like shit (some of that will polish up, not all of it, it is a cryptic game...) , it has enough of carrot on stick systems to keep me interested and upgrading stuff. Seems decent build variety, especially once a balance pass is done. Its not anywhere near the quality of something like D3 or PoE, but its a ton better than TL3. I'm optimistic , lets see where it is in a couple months.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah I don’t like the random ability horseshit either. The constant looking too see what button is where is a horrible design decision. Maybe they mean for you to just press all the buttons?

I actually like this mechanic, the whole 'you have a deck of abilities, but this is your hand of cards this moment' is kinda novel.

My problem with it though is the graphics for it are too complex. If you use a controller it says the name under the graphic, but with m/kb it's just the numbers. Wish they simpler icons or something.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
This game is ass. The constant fuckin loading is ass. The randomness BS is ass. Having to keep looking at your hotbars to see what spell is where is ass. Not sure WTF is even MTG. This game is ass.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Tried last night with a friend. We had to log off simply because of how unplayable it was at the moment. It has promise but they really need to address how long it takes to get until you can group with people as well.

It needs a lot of work... period

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Oh yeah it's really bad. They had every possible advantage in a pre-existing body of art and content as well as a well established genre and somehow made something terrible. Even discounting the engine, which is garbage, the whole concept is bankrupt with the random draws of spells that land in whatever slot. Don't even get me started on the incredibly monotone iconography that makes many of the spells indistinct from one another.
just trying this now. missed old talk, due to this thread being in the mmo forum..

My first thoughts were pretty positive. I think the spell deck idea is great, and has real potential. however, yes, the spells landing in "whatever slot" is a bad choice. 1-4. like playing this blue mage. if water elemental was ALWAYS slot 4, etc that would be great. And to make it worse, yes, the icons all look the damn same.
these icons should be next to the pc, or at the TOP. not down on the bar.

some visual/engine lag. similar to wolcen... we'll see how that goes. not likely going to get better..

have not hit the bazillian coins, ptw shit yet. but as people noted. perfect world..

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I was looking forward to trying this even though it wasn't getting good reviews.

It's basically what people said, spell appearing in random slot in the hotbar is pretty much killing it for me. Usually playing these mean muscle memory, and you can focus on the action...here you need to focus on your hotbar and it's just horrible design. The fact that the icon look way too similar just make this even worse.

I do get what they are going for with the random card from a deck, which is interesting in design but not working at all for me currently as implemented.

And yeah it's totally pay to win.

As it is now, it's a hard pass for me.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
Streamers have spent $200-500 doing pack openings and still haven't won the assassin class unlock. Needing to spend that much just to unlock something you might not even like is pretty sad. Anything you can earn in game (cards gear etc) can all be bought through the shop.

Mob density is pretty bad and I felt like I was just traveling more than ever fighting anything.

The randomness of skills popping up is annoying. This type of system doesn't work for an well for an ARPG IMO, but does work for a game like Minion Masters.

• 1Barf

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
I could even look past the p2w and random spells.. except the movement & combat feel very floaty and not tied to the world. You don't feel like you are exploring the environment at all.. it feels like you are ice skating across a map with invisible walls with art assets pasted on top of it.

• 1Like

Caliane

Swapped to controller. and combat is about a million times better with it.
still a bit floaty. but, that weird element of main attack not following cursor is fixed. so you can actually attack in the right direction.

gamepad skills have their fucking NAMES under the icons, AND larger icons... you can tell what you are casting much easier.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I love MTG and I even dabble in a bit of gacha.

This is trash on all accounts.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

after swapping to controller.. I don't hate it. it is kindof typical Cryptic, where its just ok to average, with 1 or 2 brilliant elements.. hamstrung by less care elsewhere, esp the mmo elements, and ftp mmo cash shop/currencies. Cryptic is such a strange case for development.

Anyone know how creature stats work? like, they have the classic attack/toughness. 1/2, 3/3, 4/4, etc... but no clear direct correlation to listed dps. or observed.
Due to unit collision, stacking lots of 1/1's doesn't work great either.

got the mindmage to level 15. did the tut, zendicar, then it opens up, letting you pick where to go next. I went to Tolaria. Benalia and shiv on Dominaria are also options. or Gavony on Innistrad.

• 1Like

Caliane

Still going. level 23.
Upgraded the home base a bit. There was an image from alpha that showed a timer on upgrades. thats no longer a thing apparently? just paid the price, instant upgrade.

loot is pretty decent honestly. its not PoE drop a thon. but, you do get 2-5 pieces per run.
it has a bit of a weird upgrade system. like copies of items let you upgrade. And presumably swap? like each item has 3 mods. a base mod, and two random ones. I think copies are supposed to let you swap out mods. but, haven't figured that out quite yet.

But some of them are good/interesting. I have a chest that summons a 6/1 lightning elemental when I use my "utility" skill for example.

The summoning in this is kindof remarkable. This has THE most varied and interesting summoning I've seen in an ARPG. just tons of them.
I am sick to fucking death of necromancers, necromancers, necromancers in Arpgs.

like atm, I have creature spells:

Blue: homarid warrior. 3/3 crab
stiched drake 3/1 zombie drake
Alchemic thaumature 2/2 human mage
Illusary allies 3 1/2 illusions
Acadamy wizard 3/2 human mage
Water elemental

White: banisher priest 2/2 human cleric
galewing Griffin 4/5
angel of vengeance 5/4 angel.

black:
darksworn cleric 2/2 human cleric

red:
juvenile kavu 2/2

green:
elvish rejuvinator 1/1 elf archer
spider nest 04/ spider
Enormous Baloth 6/6 beast.

And thats just what I found so far.
AND, didnt include the artifacts/gear procs. like the lightning elemental mentioned. I also spawn 1/1 clerics on primary attack kills, and 1/1 human soldiers when I summon an angel. and illusions when I get damaged.

the caveat...
Well, summons seem like total shit. I have 2 decks set up atm. one full blue spells, with just the water elem, and acad wizard. and, another azorious creature build.
im pretty sure the angel, water elem, griffen, and mages do less DPS combined, then just my auto attack. Nevermind, me actually using spells, or my spark ability.

The problems. raw damage of summons is low. A.I. of summons is a bit weak. Any melee creature is going to need to run up and attack. While most of those listed do have special skills, abilities, I didn't mention, they don't really leap into engage. Lots of 1/1s are going to body block units. you'll find your units standing there, doing nothing often. low hp units die fast. which, potentially you can just resummon, with card draw, and low mana cost... but really high toughness, with healing is clearly better. or high toughness and resummon them too..
Its possible they will scale into endgame differently. spell upgrades increase damage/hp. Gearing as well. there is "minion attack potency" and minion hp potency, which scales their damage/healing on gear.

I still don't know how attack relates to dps directly. toughness does seem to be relative to base hp. although, spell upgrades will pump that hp, without touching toughness. so, im not exactly sure how adding toughness vis spells/enchants relates exactly.
but, like that 3/3 crab. lists 188 dps atm. deals 2531 twice every 4s 4/4 water elem lists 190dps. deals 4500 damage per hit single target about 3s. 2/2 thaumage lists 216dps deals 2250 ever 3s or so.
4/5griffen 4505 every 3s or so, AND a 9k aoe strike every 10s or so. aca wizard. 216dps list 3/2.. 3375 every 3s or so. (spawns 1/1 copies on card draw. which do like 1k)

so, neither "attack" or dps seems to correlate to actual attack speed or damage..
and for reference, my pc auto attack is 1750 3 times per second. +33% every 3rd hit. telestrike is 46k crit.

minions do not stack on recast.. but also, do not immediately desummon. like cast water elemental. it stays up indefinately. draw water elemental again. if cast again, it summons a second water elemental. the first water elem will stick around for about 10seconds.

Card draw is decent. they stack beyond your 4 slots. like, if your 4 spellslots are full, and you draw 3 cards, you'll see a 3 pop up by your hp. using a spell, then will instantly replace it will one of those predrawn cards.

Voice acting is well enough. but the writing is garbage.
like just did Benalia final boss, josu vess. its like a carbon copy of that shitty d3 baal. "you'll never beat my zombie horde!" you beat my zombie horde, but you'll never beat my zombie lich. you beat my zombie lich but you will never beat my lich knight!.

none of the characters are really written with a unique voice. so, like, while the voice acting is fine, and unique.. if I quoted Nessa, and quoted lyra. you would never be able to tell which is which just from the dialogue.

Last edited:

nevergone

Low IQ Vegan Pacifist
<Gold Donor>
I'm enjoying this so far, I have my mind mage up to 17 and eventually plan on building out a heavy control/support deck with no creatures - just sorcery and enchantment.
Might be gimped, might be right up my alley (which could still very well be gimped), but I like the continuous flow of action and objectives, even though there is a bit of sluggishness in terms of the visceral response other ARPGs are capable of offering.

If I hadn't played the absolute everloving shit out of it, I would still be playing Diablo 3 because truly that game nailed the feeling of abilities and feedback.