Malazan Book Of The Fallen

koljec_sl

shitlord
I have the complete Book of the Fallen on my Kindle, and I've gotten about 1/3 into GofM before I start to glaze over with everything not making sense.From most things I've seen here, I just need to power through book one?
Pretty much. About half-way through, or maybe two thirds, it might start to click and become very much worth it. That Gardens was initially written as a screenplay well before any of the others might have something to do with its crudeness.

IMO, of the first 5 books, Memories is the only one that's fairly smooth from start to finish because most of the key characters are established in Gardens. House of Chains revisits characters, too, but it starts with the backstory of an un-sympathetic character.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Dude was a archeologist and anthropologist.

For those into metal. here is Caladan Brood Echoes of Battle

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I have the complete Book of the Fallen on my Kindle, and I've gotten about 1/3 into GofM before I start to glaze over with everything not making sense. From most things I've seen here, I just need to power through book one? Intrinsic, you haven't lead me wrong yet, so I trust your love affair with this series is well founded heh.
Dddoooooo iiiiiiittttttttt!

But seriously, as has already been said it is dense to the point of absurdity most of the time and that will be a huge turn off to most people. For whatever reason it just pulled me in more.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
That is true, but I felt he explained most that was relevant to the story. Do we know why Quick Ben said "Mother" at the Spar of the Andii? Nope, but I don't feel it's directly relevant. Lots of unanswered questions that may or may not impact the story.

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Drakain, definitely keep going. The series is awesome.

Discussion here makes me want to dive into certain spots in the series for clarity. It seems to me someone commented on Quick's magery having the flavor of Galain at some point in the series. I'm tempted to go back and reread the retelling of the Bridgeburners chasing Quick across Raraku and see if it mentions the particular warrens of all the mages along the way.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Mildly envious about someone's first read. I couldn't say that about GoT, but Malazan for certain has that position. The world literally peals away before you as you read. It's borderline surreal.
I agree with this, but it's kind of a humorous point to me because the series is also an absolutely spectacular second read. So many details right from the get go you didn't understand the first time around.

koljec_sl

shitlord
Just finished Midnight Tides. It's not bad, but I did not enjoy this book as much as the others. I felt like the story broke the momentum of the other books. I like the idea of the Tiste Edur forgetting their history with the Tiste Andii, but I don't find the Tiste Edur characters very compelling or distinct. All of a sudden Stephen Erikson seems to display a penchant for dramatic sentence fragments, too. They are used throughout the book, and it's really bad style IMO.

* Since the book is largely Trull's backstory, it would seem more logical to me to complete the book with his "shorning". I assume there that will be visited in another book, but I haven't gotten there yet.
edit: apparently this is intentional:
Steven: It was always intended to be left out, because it was, by that point, inevitable. Also, in telling his story, Trull's own emotional context had to play a fundamental role in what he was prepared to describe. Also, the conceit of the framing device was undermined in the narrative, since part of Midnight Tides described events Trull could know nothing of, but I've done that before (This River Awakens), so I was prepared to run with that contradiction. In a sense, the audience always sees more than the characters, and that's always the point behind this structural conceit.

Inevitable might be the justification, but I don't think there's a good dot-connect. By the end of the book the Warlock King, Fear, and Trull could all be up for shorning or execution.

* Seren Pedac's arc is weak -- Iron Bars and Corlo save it. I'm kind of tired of reading about the rape of female characters as part of their "hardening" and general development. Like her rape, the reveal of her magical aptitude seemed abrupt and contrived, too.

* I appreciate comic relief with Tehol and Bugg and friends, but it got a little bit repetitive. I felt like Tehol's near death should have been sadder or more significant than what was written. It seemed unnecessary in the end.

Anyway, gonna keep reading of course, but for me this read as the weakest book so far.

Just finished The Crippled God. I'm emotionally exhausted. Shit was so good. So many questions still unanswered. The unavoidable, yet necessary reread in my future, is going to be tasty indeed.

I might just reread Deadhouse Gates immediately. Never forget the Chain of Dogs.

I really want to talk about favorite characters with y'all, but maybe I'll give things time to really digest in my brain.

Anyone recommend any of the other books in the Malazan universe? I hear Forge of Darkness is pretty cool, but not much else about the other ones.

Tehol/Bugg 2016.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Did you just read Erikson or did you do any of the Esslemont stuff?

Forge is a prequel and directly related to BotF.

Erikson also has quite a few short stories / novelas that follow Bauchelain and Korbald Broach which are good.

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Forge of Darkness is probably the book to read right now, considering the sequel, Fall of Light is right around the corner (late April). Forge gives a perspective to the world that you only get a sense of the Book of the Fallen.

I liked Esslemont's work, as well. Some of it isn't stellar, but it expands on the world that Erikson showed us. His novels will show you the Crimson Guard, the Seguleh, and the Koreli (to name a few).

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just finished Toll the Hounds and disliking the series more and more. Plot moved at a snails pace...1286 pages and 3/4 of it was waxing endlessly about philosophy. Yes the tiste andii are emo but ffs.....move the fucking story along. I would pray that the story would move to Kallor or Karsa so it wouldnt be pages upon pages of whiny bitches. Cutter, Rake, Duiker, retired emo Bridgeburners.....Stonny....fucking everyone....I wanted to slap everyone of them

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
The new Ice book is really good,Dancer's Lament. Prequel about Coatillian and Shadowthrones rise from normal to emperor to ascendants.
This must take place during the two years before the events of knight of knives? That aughta be pretty interesting stuff.

Just realized we have a few weeks until fall of light - nice! Gonna have to get going on forge of darkness again.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I think it goes much farther back than 2 years before Night of Knives.

Damn this book for making me realize how slow my OG Nexus 7 is.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
Having read it, it shows how the 2 meet and its way before there was even a malazan empire.