Malazan Book Of The Fallen

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Well that sucks.

Almost finished with GotM re-read. Really happy about it and can't imagine doing this as a first timer or what I was thinking at the time. It really makes more sense and isn't boring or ruined by knowing future events. Took me a bit longer b/c of some later work nights and waiting to get caught up with the re-read blog.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Well that sucks.

Almost finished with GotM re-read. Really happy about it and can't imagine doing this as a first timer or what I was thinking at the time. It really makes more sense and isn't boring or ruined by knowing future events. Took me a bit longer b/c of some later work nights and waiting to get caught up with the re-read blog.
I'm still on the fence about doing a main 10 reread #3. The stories are still fresh in my mind and I'm quite enjoying rereading the old Tom Clancy books. It's very interesting regarding what was cutting edge military tech in the 80's vs now. I finished 'Red Storm Rising' then this book, and I've started 'Hunt for Red October'. I am so glad I love to read.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
A couple of nights ago wrapped up GotM. Not a whole lot to add to how much enjoyment I had.

One thing did stand out, one line actually. When Paran finds Lorn in the alley after her run in with Blues and later Meese and Irilta. Eriksen writes:

“Her armor removed, she proved light in his arms.”

I think that was a very impactful summary of her journey through GotM. Never would have resonated on that the first read through. Was probably too young and unappreciative of the point.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
This seems relevant , never did their book bundle but the games part is legit;

all ebooks , $18 for whole series.

Oh shit, that's great. I just paid like $9.99 for Deadhouse Gates because my 1st read through was all paperback.

• 1Like

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Well I couldn't resist and bout
Oh shit, that's great. I just paid like $9.99 for Deadhouse Gates because my 1st read through was all paperback.
Well I couldn't resist. I own all of them but now I own them again ? Lol Guess I'm doing a re-re-re-reread. SE / Malazan is far and away my favorite author / series.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Well I couldn't resist and bout

Well I couldn't resist. I own all of them but now I own them again ? Lol Guess I'm doing a re-re-re-reread. SE / Malazan is far and away my favorite author / series.
I paused my re-read for a bit because I had read Wool by Hugh Howey years ago and finally got around to watching the first episode of the TV series. After not remembering a single solitary thing about what I was watching I checked my Kindle and learned that Sand is what I read and never even bought Wool. So now I’m reading that.

After 12 hours of labor today I made a bit of a dent.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Slowly reading through Forge of the High Mage. There's an early scene where most of the key Malazan character get together to discuss attacking Falar. The scene reads like a parody of what actually happened. None of them acted like people that were in the process of unifying Quon Tali.

I'll finish it because it's still Malazan. But I wonder how much help ICE got from Erikson on the first few books because I don't remember them being this bad.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I stumbled across this last night in the SubPress Facebook group. It looks like Broken Binding will be doing a Malazan run next year. Would be / will be a great opportunity to get some nice hardcover versions for a very reasonable price.

• 1Like

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Finished the series finally - enjoyed it, but I’m not sure how much I missed vs how much just wasn’t finished / resolved?

1) karsa and pals
2) blend/picker/duiker crew
3) lady envy and friends
4) mother dark? Like is she back or not back, or something something?
5) death / the gate, did they resolve hood and who’s going to handle future dead people?
6) tattersail/silverfox, wtf happened to her?

Im sure the answer to most of these is probably I’m retarded and just have poor reading comprehension, but did some of them just not resolve?

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Finished the series finally - enjoyed it, but I’m not sure how much I missed vs how much just wasn’t finished / resolved?

5) death / the gate, did they resolve hood and who’s going to handle future dead people?

Im sure the answer to most of these is probably I’m retarded and just have poor reading comprehension, but did some of them just not resolve?
If it's not flat-out stated (it's been a while), it's at least heavily implied that the Bridgeburners collectively ascended as the new gods of death.

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I got all the books on Audible. And I think I will restart my 3rd round of the 10 Fallen books this week. It's just something about this story that is crazy good even if it is complicated as hell.

I have listened to the Esslemont books as well and they did not feel as good but they were okay enough. Still need to check the Karsa books and the Tiste Andi side stories.

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Agreed, THINW was so good it motivated my dead ass to re-read the original 10 again.
Same here. I'm on DoD of my reread.

The Kharakanas books are good too, and definitely worth reading. I liked Forge of Darkness better than Fall of Light. I think Erikson definitely has a style - he likes to wax eloquently about universal truths and whatnot. I dunno if that's the right way to describe it, but if you've read MBoTF then you know his style. Anyway, he dials that up a notch in Fall of Light and so I didn't enjoy that one quite as much when I read it. I've only read it the one time, probably will revisit those after I finish the book of the Fallen.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Same here. I'm on DoD of my reread.

The Kharakanas books are good too, and definitely worth reading. I liked Forge of Darkness better than Fall of Light. I think Erikson definitely has a style - he likes to wax eloquently about universal truths and whatnot. I dunno if that's the right way to describe it, but if you've read MBoTF then you know his style. Anyway, he dials that up a notch in Fall of Light and so I didn't enjoy that one quite as much when I read it. I've only read it the one time, probably will revisit those after I finish the book of the Fallen.
I don't think I finished 'Fall of Light'. I recall thinking 'wow this guy needs an editor to reign him in'. I read somewhere that SE stated that book didn't sell as well as his usual work so he started 'The God is not willing'. I'll re-read the Kharakanas when he completes the series (I believe there is only one more book).
Sadly, SE completely ruins fantasy for people, as nothing compares. GoT was close but fat man cannot complete a book.

Jovec

?

1) karsa and pals
2) blend/picker/duiker crew
3) lady envy and friends
4) mother dark? Like is she back or not back, or something something?
6) tattersail/silverfox, wtf happened to her?

Some of the above is mostly resolved. The thing is that the books are intentionally some combination of vague, misleading, unknown, and contradictory. With the idea is that it is a lot like history, which is those same things.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Some of the above is mostly resolved. The thing is that the books are intentionally some combination of vague, misleading, unknown, and contradictory. With the idea is that it is a lot like history, which is those same things.
Also he was pretty clearly making it up as he went along, not that that's necessarily a bad thing.