Marco Polo

iannis

Musty Nester
Marco really is the worst part of the entire Marco Polo show.

It's not his fault so much as the writing just sucks.

the kung-fu parts are fuckin' awesome, and all the parts that don't involve a white dude.

iannis

Musty Nester
WHAT. is. Kungfu. I ask you. This.

And, the Shoa. LIN. Master

. has

kungfu.

The blind master looks so much like Avon Barksdale it takes me out of the game a little bit, but in a good way.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gaming Ghost>
cinematography is really nice but the plot and most of characters suck. 2 episodes was enough for me.

iannis

Musty Nester
+ hot inter-racial lesbian concubine action.

That shit is every sort of dirty, bro! In one way I regret not being asian because it inhibits me from feeling the full impact of exactly how fucked up and raunchy it is. On the other hand, if I was asian those chicks wouldn't be as hot.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Binged it on Netflix :

- Kublai Khan character is well done, the actor plays it nice and IMO is the show's strong point.

- Marco Polo character story arc is kinda underwhelming, it's like story doesn't really care about him unless they need to explain culture.

- Most asian female characters come from anime writing, they're either stronk womyn or delusional swans.

- Main villain definitely needed more screen time.

- Fuck the Prince.

I kinda enjoyed it. It has flaws but I didn't get bored watching it. I'd like them for next seasin to show how the mongolian Empire fell.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
The Mongolian Empire didn't begin falling (at least rapidly) until after Kublai though right? Kublai does eventually take down the Song Dynasty.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
The western segments of the empire grew more autonomous, and eventually didn't pay much respect to the great khan in Karakorum. It would be another 100 years before the empire really ended. But the autonomous western khanates didn't end when the empire dissolved. The mongol rule of parts of Russia and Iran went on for another 100 years.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The inaccuracies bothered me. Like, why the fuck would Kublai Khan have the greatest engineers in the world working for him, and yet they get schooled by a teenager from Italy? On tech that Genghis stole from the Chinese like 60 years prior? Seriously, the Mongols were KNOWN for smashing walled cities. It was kind of their thing. And they make it seems as if there was this big period of truce of something between the Mongols and the Song. Kublai was fighting a guerrilla war inside their territory for years when Mongke was still alive. And all parties involved were well versed in the use of cannons and black powder, the cannons would have been way way more effective than those muskets that probably took half a dickyear to load.

But, nerdrage aside, it was an ok show. My only hope is that it inspires someone to do a better show about Genghis. Marco was kind of weak, but not as bad as I expected from the posts here. Fucking Ahmad, dude should have just been twirling his moustache the whole time, I mean seriously.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Just watched the first season in a few days. It was OK, but not great. It was a disservice to the cast and writers for this to be compared to Game of Thrones. My expectations were extremely high going in.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
People were comparing this to GoT? This show fell flat after 2 episodes. It's like every other Netflix show outside of House of Cards. Simply not very good, but watchable if you've got nothing better to do. I made it through I believe 7 episodes before I decided I just couldn't waste my time anymore.

Elissidel_sl

shitlord
How does it compare to Davinci's Demons? I got a similar vibe from the previews.
That was the type of show I was expecting going in actually. Having seen both, Marco Polo is much better. Its a much more "mature" show, not cheesy the way Davinci's Demons is. But of course nothing near as good as GoT like others have said. All and all its definitely worth a watch imo. 7.5/10

Caliane

The Mongolian Empire didn't begin falling (at least rapidly) until after Kublai though right? Kublai does eventually take down the Song Dynasty.
blind Shoa Lin kung fu monk assassin.
I don't think this show gives much care to reality, or history.

Kindof wish they didn't use real names for that reason. its weird. all this fantasy mixed with real historical people. Not like a Sinbad, Odysseus, Sparticus, etc.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Spartacus was a real person, and really did participate in a slave revolt in Italy.

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
Sinbad was also a real person and was very popular in the 90s, eventually starring the Christmas classic Jingle All the Way.

iannis

Musty Nester
Ulysses was also a real person and Eric Clapton met him once in 1967 in a greyhound bus station, not in the main terminal though but in the white room with black curtains.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
The Chinese concubine turned spy was mad hot, gave me yellow fever. Small boobs and all.

Caliane

Spartacus was a real person, and really did participate in a slave revolt in Italy.
oh, neat. didnt' know that. Quick looking, so little records, so long ago. what their actually is, is pretty vague. you can get away with making alot of shit up.
Sparticus was 111-71BC.

Marco polo was 1254-1324.
They do it all the time, really I suppose. Just feels weird to have someone not traditionally a fantasy figure. Or, I don't know its, the show itself as noted. It spends so much time on fairly "real" political drama, then boom fantasy element.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
When I watched the pilot and saw that he met his father the first time at like 20 then immediately went on a trip across the silk road I was like "fo shizzle?" I went and looked it up. Shit is true.

Of course I think the wiki says they all came back together after spending like 20 years in Asia, but the other part is still fucking amazing.