Maron on IFC

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just watched the first episode of Maron, new sitcom from/by/about Marc Maron on IFC. It's one of those fictionalized version of real person shows, a la Curb Your Enthusiasm, Louie etc. I neither love nor loathe Marc Maron, but in small doses I quite enjoy him usually. His unique combination of aggressive self loathing, blunt honesty, weirdness, and dickishness just cracks me up sometimes. First episode hit all those notes really well. More than that though Dave Foley playing Dave Foley was hilarious.

First episode Marc is being harassed by a troll on Twitter. While a drunken Dave Foley sleeps on his couch Marc manages to track the guy down online and decides to confront him at his D&D game in back of a comic shop. Dave Foley negotiates for a burrito in exchange for accompanying him. Once Marc gets there the nerd and his friends proceed to make him look and feel like the insecure asshole he is in fact being. But when Dave walks in they love him.

I'd say if you either like Maron and/or his podcast or you are a fan of the fictionalized celebrity person genre give it a try. I'm guessing every week will have some of his friends as guest stars, it fits in with the idea of his podcast being part of the show. If the first episode is any indication these people will really embrace it and have fun. Sort of like on Extras. Though if you hate Marc Maron, a totally valid opinion that is explored in depth in this episode, just skip it.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just gonna bump this once to say you should try this show out. 6 episodes in and it's gotten really good. Latest episode was him agreeing to be sponsor for an older Latin ex-con gangbanger played by Danny Trejo. Marc Maron's neurosis + Trejo's scary Mexicanitude is a really good combo and even aside from the humor it was just an interesting little story of a day in the life of someone.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I caught the episode where he has the dead possum under his house, it was really funny. I need to watch the rest of them.

Enob

Golden Knight of the Realm
I flip through the movie channels (which I consider IFC) and DVR random movies. Through the IFC movies I've watched the Maron commercials I've seen seem interesting. I'll definitely check it out now with the positive support from this thread.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I feel like I have done this forum a great disservice. I haven't been pushy enough about this show. It's well in to the second season now and it just keeps getting better.

It is awesome. Every week. The guest stars are outstanding. Maron is hilarious. If you are missing Curb Your Enthusiasm you owe it to yourself to try this show. It's not nearly as goofy, but Mark is the closest thing to Larry there is out there.

Also his assistant Kyle, play by the guy that's Big Head on Silicon Valley, is great.

This season has featured Chris Hardwick hating Maron while having him on Talking Dead. Maron decided to become buddies with Ray Romano, who is kind of a negligent dick. For 3 episodes he is randomly dealing with Dave Anthony, who is hilariously awful as a person.

It's good, you should watch it. I will harass some of you in to at least trying it.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I've seen all the episodes. It's pretty damn good. Comedy Bang Bang which follows it on the other hand, is not.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I've listened to probably every Episode of WTF and can't believe we've never bothered to watch this. Thanks Grimm, stop harassing me!