Mass Effect: Andromeda - Autism reaches outer space

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Gameplay in 3 was exactly the same as in 2 aside from the minor tweaks to weapons and classes.

I really wish people wouldn't buy this. It's just going to reinforce that it's okay to release games with such glaring deficiencies.

Right, because no other solid games have glaring deficiencies. Even the best games out there have nitpicks and corny dialogue at times. Jesus Christ, I can't think of a single game I've played in the past year that I haven't done some degree of MST3King while the wife is present and/or I'm watching her play something. (Yes, even Horizon as good as it is has plenty of corniness to it and occasionally *gasp* bad animations)

Maybe it's because I'm afforded the time and money to play nearly everything, but this whole dream of "every game must be flawless or it's complete shit" is tiring to me. If I kept to the "A+++ or it's crap" standard that y'all try to imply I'd be spending all my time on another hobby because nearly nothing reaches the standard you're trying to imply should be reached. (And probably spending a ton more, gaming is a relatively cheap hobby)

Sure, the game was overhyped - it looks to be a 7-8/10 versus the 10/10 it was hyped as... boo-fucking-hoo..

• 2Salty
  • 1Smuggly
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Vorph

Maybe it's because I'm afforded the time and money to play nearly everything, but this whole dream of "every game must be flawless or it's complete shit" is tiring to me. If I kept to the "A+++ or it's crap" standard that y'all try to imply I'd be spending all my time on another hobby because nearly nothing reaches the standard you're trying to imply should be reached. (And probably spending a ton more, gaming is a relatively cheap hobby)
After the series of releases we've had so far in 2017, this is horseshit.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
So much polish is missing from the trial; it looks like it should have been a Fall/Winter release that got pushed up by something else. It looks and feels buggy and messy. For example, Quest/Journal and Skill type UI is total trash. Once you get into a skill it's OK but its so hard to navigate, no idea of where you are overall with your skill points.

Last edited:

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Sure, the game was overhyped - it looks to be a 7-8/10 versus the 10/10 it was hyped as... boo-fucking-hoo..

In what universe is this game an 8/10? Unless you're disregarding 90% of the metrics to give it an 8/10 because "combat is an 8/10" while everything else is a 0-4/10.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vaclav

In what universe is this game an 8/10? Unless you're disregarding 90% of the metrics to give it an 8/10 because "combat is an 8/10" while everything else is a 0-4/10.

You mean only the "game parts" are? Gosh damn. It's almost as if there's stuff like skip buttons to go through corny dialogue half-assed and such. If all I cared about was the story and not the gameplay, I'd just watch streamers do a playthrough - everything besides the actual GAMEPLAY is something that can be experienced for free.

After the series of releases we've had so far in 2017, this is horseshit.

Shrug, YMMV - I'm enjoying it as much as the story-light Nioh in a very similar fashion. Both are very fun, albeit with some niggles here and there gameplay with very little story worth a damn outside of the immediate gameplay.

It has been a good couple of months though, that is true - Torment is probably the worst thing I've bought recently, and it was still decent.

I personally LOVE Dark Souls style games where the story is tangential to the actual experience of getting in there and playing.

The rare times I want my brain on when I'm gaming I play a puzzle game of some sort or a CCG - most games I just want to shut my brain off, zone out and treat it like a movie or TV show - and with a spouse, I watch some fucking awful shows at times to placate her. (New Girl? gag....)

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not sure why you are all ragging on Vaclav, the glaring faults of the game do not concern him or his lady, they just want to play another Mass Effect. The game is pretty trash so far, but that is just my opinion of it, so I will not be buying it. Vaclav has other reasons for buying / playing it, its fine.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
That trailer music is so ironic and prophetic.

"I'm only human after all, don't put the blame on me" sounds like a hidden message by the soundtrack guy, as in "I tried to tell them the game was shit, guys, but I only do the music FFS".

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity

goishen

Macho Ma'am
If Vaclav wants to play Dragon Age : The Mass Effect Chronicles, then by all means let him. This is one of those slow moving car wrecks that I just can not look away from.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Not sure why you are all ragging on Vaclav, the glaring faults of the game do not concern him or his lady, they just want to play another Mass Effect. The game is pretty trash so far, but that is just my opinion of it, so I will not be buying it. Vaclav has other reasons for buying / playing it, its fine.

It's not him or his lady, it's his uncle's friend who used to work at bioware who is married to his mother's chiropractor who are playing it.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Vorph

Oh I'm going to play it too. (From Gamefly to ensure they get basically nothing for it.) Plenty of time between Wed/Thurs and the release of Persona 5 to have a good laugh at what is shaping up to be one of most half-assed, unintentionally funny games ever created.

But when someone starts comparing it favorably to an extremely well-polished game like Nioh I'm going to call it batshit insanity.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Vaclav

It's not him or his lady, it's his uncle's friend who used to work at bioware who is married to his mother's chiropractor who are playing it.

Initially it was some first hand friends - until I wised up about EA Access being PC as well now =p

Vaclav

Oh I'm going to play it too. (From Gamefly to ensure they get basically nothing for it.) Plenty of time between Wed/Thurs and the release of Persona 5 to have a good laugh at what is shaping up to be one of most half-assed, unintentionally funny games ever created.

But when someone starts comparing it favorably to an extremely well-polished game like Nioh I'm going to call it batshit insanity.

I knew it would be an example I could use to get the proper response from you.

Nioh is well polished sure overall, but it's storylight intentionally - I either skip past, MST3K or otherwise ignore story elements that aren't touching my fancy - so at the end of the day... it doesn't much matter.

And Nioh had some issues with intentional omissions that detracted from the whole slightly. It doesn't appear the same as trying something and failing - but it fell short of the Souls games proper for a number of reasons, most of which were intentional omissions - it did exceed them on a few points too however, but among other things, the variety of enemies was lacking. The feel of a "world" with the Diablo-style loot generation and world map vs. an open world. Etc.

It's an amazing game, I have zero desire to ever trade it in (in fact, kicking myself for not buying digital to save space/remove the risk of media damage - but I probably will down the line when it's on sale) - but it dialed back so many things from Souls proper that while it did everything it put out to do well (besides making it feel like a real "world" at least) it removed many things that made Souls a series of 9's and 10's to me leaving it at around an 8-8.5.

Hell, do you want to know a game I can point out a ZILLION flaws to, but still remains fun as shit to this day even after playing it a ton? Saint's Row III - the game has so many damn flaws, but none detract from the total experience.

And as you yourself said, I've got nothing to play until Persona 5 (which I'm dubious on, I couldn't get into P3/P4 - although I did come to each 1-2 generations late which sometimes it tough to do even for great games - its the only series my wife loves more than Bioware stuff though).

Prey is the next one that I'm super hyped about personally. And after that I think the year is empty until Middle Earth - I've got many months of gaming to fill with a relatively short list of new games. I probably should work on my backlog, but I'm so lazy at it recently. Hell, I only JUST bothered to platinum Fallout 4 - only took me what, 18 months?

Runnen

Vyemm Raider

To be fair, comparing a heavily story-oriented game like Mass Effect to a hardcore twitchy action slasher game like Nioh is like comparing it to Mario 3D World and saying ME sucks because the jumping is a lot better in Mario..

The models and animations look inexcusably bad for a AAA game, the story is unknown so far but the trailer made it sound intriguing at least. There has been cringy dialogue before in ME, yes, but it was rare, and the first trilogy is extremely quotable and full of badass lines. I'm not a fan fo the crewmates I've seen so far but it's so early, cannot tell really.

So far the few videos (and trailers) I've seen that focused solely on the male Ryder seemed pretty decent, he doesn't look like a derpy potato, and I always play the male character. You can customize your female twin so the potato look is avoidable altogether probably.

What's certain is that Bioware is getting all the built-up anger and rage from the fucked up ME3 ending, otherwise people would be willing to overlook some of these flaws.

As a huge Mass Effect fan, burned badly by the ME3 ending, I'm not willing to give this game a blind day-one pass. It'll need to redeem itself in my eyes first, and then I may consider it. From the bargain bin so Bioware doesn't get any more money.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Nioh executes everything it sets out to do at an exceptional level. The same can only be said for ME: A if they intentionally made the writing sound like shitty ME fan-fiction and the faces to look like the 2nd string Special Olympics Team.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
What's certain is that Bioware is getting all the built-up anger and rage from the fucked up ME3 ending, otherwise people would be willing to overlook some of these flaws.
They have a lot of ill-will from their SJW employees social media histories as well.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like